Checking for Interest in a NES

Which NES would you like to see in the future?

• Total voters

The Strategos

Thanatos
So I recently signed up for classes for next semester, and it looks like it may be a light load. So, there is a possibility that I may decide to mod a NES after the flurry of holidays die down, say around mid-January. To help me, please choose which options you would be interested in playing. If you choose more than one option, it would be helpful if you posted the order of your preferences in this thread.

So if it is going to be so long in the future, why a poll now? Well, for several reasons, first, it gives me plenty of time to create and check stats, second, it allows me to develop a time-specific rule set that isn’t a generic das rule set rip-off, third, it gives me time to create a map. Lastly, and most importantly, it gives you enough time to forget about it so there will be no one to hold me to my psuedo-promise of starting a NES when January rolls around.

If you really want to see me mod some other time period for some reason, feel free to suggest it and I will take it into consideration. However, I will not mod a fresh start of any kind, so don't bother asking.

NES 1: A non-world map NES based on my first alt-history, "Wars of Hellas." In this time line, the Ionic Revolt succeeded, causing an implosion of the Persian Empire. There are all kinds of cool nations (at least I think they’re cool) like a Neo-Neo-Babylonian Empire, Persia, a non-democratic Athens, a Davidic ruled Judea, Egypt, Phoenicia, Cyprus, etc., as well as the standard, non-affected nations. It will start in 490 BCE.

NES 2: A non-word map NES based on my alt-history “Wars of Heaven.” A hallmark of this NES is that the East and West have developed hostile brands of Christianity, one centered from Rome and one from Constantinople. There is also a weaker than OTL, but still significant, Islamic threat to reckon with. Added to this are the usual Middle Age politics, warfare, and general goodness. The start of the game would be 1000 CE.

NES 3: A NES based off my current alt-history project, “The Sacred Bonds.” The major changes in this NES are a unified Catholic-Eastern Orthodox Church that is headed by councils, not popes. Also, the Roman Empire (Byzantine Empire) is still alive and the Turks are weaker. I haven’t finished this yet, so I can’t give a definitive start date, but expect something between 1450-1490, with a 1460-70 date highly likely. So there will be at least four turns before anyone should even think of sending out a voyage to the New World.

NES 4: There is a possibility my next alt-history project will be a successful Shimabara Rebellion, partly because I want to do something Asian to expand my horizons, and partly as a penance for screwing over Christianity in most of my other alt-histories. The hallmark of this NES will be a non-isolationist (and possibly majority Christian?) Japan along with other yet to be determined changes. It will likely take place sometime between 1650-1850, with an early 1700 date likely.

Nes 3 looks cool :D

Any of the above sound unique, which in the current climate is enough for an endorsement.

The first one is most intreasting to me, the other too I've seen similar one's sorta, and the 4th one makes bile rise in my throat.

I agree with Symphony that either option sounds unique enough to be interesting. I think the first alternative sounds most appealing, and the last one has definite potential. The other two sound interesting as well, but are more similar to what has been done already, and I'm not all that fond of Christian warfare.

Hopefully come January I'll be able to play.

4th option most preferably, with the 3rd being a close second.

successful Shimabara Rebellion

I rather doubt the possibility of that happening; it was, in the end, just another peasant rebellion, religious footnotes and initial successes aside. The thing to do is to Christianise the Shogunate itself.

Personally I am somewhat interested in 1 or 2, but not sure if I would end up playing either of them, so no promises.

I voted in all since i would play in all, but primary vote is 3

I rather doubt the possibility of that happening; it was, in the end, just another peasant rebellion, religious footnotes and initial successes aside. The thing to do is to Christianise the Shogunate itself.

Personally I am somewhat interested in 1 or 2, but not sure if I would end up playing either of them, so no promises.

As I said, one reason I wanted to do that as my next project is so I have an excuse to learn more about Asia, so I can't ably defend any success of the rebellion. That said, I was under the impression that the rebellion could have succeeded if Portugal became more involved, so that was where I got the idea from. Regardless, the main point of the alt-hist is not the PoD, but its effects, a non-isolationist, semi-modern Japan with a possible resurgent Portugal in the Orient to go along with it. So I have no problem with changing the PoD while keeping the same effects.

The Shogunate PoD would work better for Portugal/Spain as well; after all, the Shogunate's ultra-expansionist 16th century leadership was generally quite friendly with the Christians, and Portugal in particular.

So would a more powerful Spain be too distracted in Asia to do much about the whole Bohemian crisis leading up to the Thirty Years' War, or would it be powerful enough to cow the Bourbons and the defenders of the German Liberties entirely?...

NES 3 has the Byzantines.... no more info needed!

I whole heartedly support the first three and would play the fourth as well.

1,3,2,4 in that order.

Really like 1.

Top Bottom