1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Chess-like wargame with focus on tactical battles

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Multiplayer' started by Genichiro, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Genichiro

Genichiro Chieftain

Hello guys, I'd like to start a discussion about "wargame" side of Civ. I started playing C6 last year on Switch buying it later on PC and I'm finally bored of playing vs AI and thinking about getting into PVP but I feel that "my" vision of what CIV should be is a bit different from what people online think it should be.

I feel there are problems with scaling of space [of the map - cities with all districts are abnormally huge on the map] and time [tech/civics in Medieval/Renaissance] and once you start spamming theatres/campuses game goes to Modern/Atomic eras too fast, especially on Standard/Online speeds. I'd prefer to focus on tactical and strategic gameplay in ancient eras (up to Renaissance), maybe even with turn limit, and probably with a rule to ban campuses/theatres (to prevent that superfast era advance). In other words, I'd love a balanced version of Civ 6 without techs/civics at all (or with limited) - just cities and army building, huge chess board with traditional pieces (without death robots).

So what I'm thinking:

- marathon (?)
    - huge tactical battles (hence marathon speed - need time for building and manoeuvring)
    - no theatres/campuses (or other measures to slow down eras)
    - using countries with strong early game bonuses (naturally)
    - religious victory allowed

One game would take some time so not sure if this idea feasible in our age of fast dopamine. And actually not sure if it will work in current online environment, how stable connections are etc. (zero experience with online Civ so far).

What's your opinion on this?

Also, if you know a single-player game similar to what I described please share. 1 UPT, terrain effects, different warrior classes (melee, archers, horsemen), building cities/encampments etc. Basically what early Civ is. I've recently tried many games including of course TW and Paradox titles but none does it. Wanna play Civ but AI is... argh.

2. Swissy

Swissy Warlord

Online civ is as stable as the worse connection in the game. I have over 12K hours in civ6, the vast majority of it as multiplayer. What you want is not feasible with the game as it is. Few players have the time to invest in marathon speed games. You could have a four hour play session where nobody makes contact and you have a handful of units and a couple cities. This is especially true as I've found most players who opt for a slowed down game take way to much time in their turns considering the lack of units and cities they have to administer. Not an efficient use of game play time.

As it is now with online speed, you can get a reasonably game played to an agreed resolution in 4 to 6 hours. In that time players will have a good number of cities (6 - 12) and be anywhere from industrial to atomic age.

I would suggest looking for mods that slow down game progress and enhance the AI.

3. elLobo

elLobo Chieftain