Chick flicks you actually enjoy watching.

Oh, Serendipity. I make my girlfriends watch that with me if they've never seen it.

Sliding Doors, does that count?

I never thought of romcoms as being the chick flick genre. Though that might be because I kinda like romcoms myself...No, the typical chick flicks to me always were dramas. You know, some guy tragically falling in love with a woman (or vice versa) who has cancer or some other serious desease. There's enough of that crap in real live so I don't enjoy watching thes movies typically (and can't currently think of one that I like). Thankfully, my wife hates these kinds of movies even more than I do :whew:

EDIT: Actually I genuinely liked 500 Days of Summer, and would have enjoyed it even if Zoey Deschanel wasn't outrageously fit. That was a really good film. I think what you have to realise with that film is that, IMO, you're supposed to hate the male character. He is obnoxious and clearly doesn't understand Summer. You're seeing the entire film through his eyes -- and Summer appears one dimensional, shallow, and nothing but a sum of her good looks and shared interests. You're supposed to hate the male character because he really doesn't see her for a whole entire complete human being. I think as the film goes on, you stop feeling any sympathy towards him (Tom? was that his name?) cos you realise he's a pretentious, arrogant, condescending dick. Anyway, it was a good film, and I really enjoyed it.
I remember watching it with a girl with whom I had a uncomfortably similar relationship with, even while not actually being like the guy in his relationships. It didn't help that from the angle I could see her face while we watched (profile, on my lap), she looked quite a bit like Deschanel (and dressed, and sort of talked). I really liked the movie but the entire time I was like, this is really emotionally awkward.

10 Things I Hate About You was good too. I enjoyed that. It's sort of like Taming of the Shrew, only better.

Blasphemy!

I also like Clueless, which was sort of like Emma, but funnier.

Heresy!

I hate knowing that I actually like the movie Love, Actually. It's brought me to tears even after several viewings. The movie just *works*.

Agreed. Love, Actually shouldn't be a good movie, but it is.

Chick flicks I like:

Kate & Leopold
Down With Love
Bridget Jones' Diary
Shakespeare in Love
Emma (the one with Gwyneth Paltrow :love: )
Pride and Prejudice (both the film and the miniseries are very good)
Sense & Sensibility (the one with Emma Thompson :love: )
Sabrina (the one with Humphrey Bogart)
Sixteen Candles
Ten Things I Hate About You
Clueless
Mean Girls
probably some others I've been dragooned into watching and wound up liking somehow but don't remember the names of at this moment

:run: It's these kind of views that make me think the end of the world is coming. How can you not love Zooey?!

Because she's typecast as the Manic Pixie Dream Girl, a twist on the "Magic Negro" trope.

Can I have this one? I know it's actually a TV film.

Link to video.

Of course!

Mean Girls would probably have to be the top one, I've actually seen it more than once. Love Actually was also good back when I saw it.

Someone mentioned Casablanca, which is good, but I wouldn't consider it a chick flick. There's definitely a significant romantic part of the plot, but I'd consider it fundamentally a film about the effects of war.

Top Bottom