Chieftain to Warlord???

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Stories & Tales' started by pi4t, Jun 8, 2010.

1. pi4t

pi4t Warlord

:hide::scared::faint:

I've been playing civ 3 for several years, but have almost never played on anything but Chieftain. Recently, I decided to change that. My first Warlord game gave me no fresh water, and no hope of any thanks to a line of hills :mad:. I decided that before going back to that game, I'd start a new game, giving myself rules that should help dispose of some of the mistakes I often make, and posting the game on the forum for comment on my strategies.

The 'varient' rules:

Any victory condition is acceptable, but I would like to get a space race, because I've never seen that victory.

Comments on my strategies during the game are encouraged.

Reviews of the rules welcome!

EDIT: Here are the new rules, for easy viewing.

SETTINGS:

Standard sized map, continents 70% water, other settings random. Default rules, but with respawn AI switched off. Opponents random. Difficulty:have a guess ;)

2. barbslinger

barbslinger Gun blast'n shot drinker

To accomplish this you will need to first set a settler factory that can turn out a settler every 4 turns. It will take around 20-25 turns just to set it up so depending on terrain I doubt you will get 20 settlers in 100 turns.

3. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

First of all, good luck, pi4t!

About those rules . . .

Traits -- Honestly, the Japanese are one of the least favorite civs to play. If you're looking to move up a level, perhaps you should consider using one of your go-to civs?

Settlers -- I agree with barbslinger that it'll be difficult to manage 20 settlers in 100 turns. You'll have to have a good settler factory, and that'll take a while to set up. If you do happen to get a 4-turn SF set up, you'll need to peel settlers off from other cities to pull off 20 settlers by turn 100.

Wonder addiction -- Somehow, I'm not sure that building "only" the GLib and 4 other wonders will cure that. Still, that may be quite a few less than you usually build, so I guess it's a step in the right direction. :p I would suggest, however, that you don't really get much benefit from the GLib at Warlord. With good expansion and use of the sliders, you should be a seller of techs, not one to wait for techs to come in from other civs.

Navy -- I'd simply abandon or modify this rule. There's rarely any need for 10 curraghs. You might need 10 galleys for an invasion, but it seems unlikely. On the other hand, you could modify the rule to be something like, "Once I begin invading other landmasses, I must constantly own 10 of the most advanced ships available to me."

4. barbslinger

I completely agree here. The GL in a Warlord game! for what? You should be able to easily pull a Republic slingshot and be the tech leader the rest of the way. You'll be gifting techs to science civs so they can catch up at the Era turn so you can trade to them for the 1st tier techs in each age.

2 reasons for any navy at all. To find other contacts if playing continents or arch and then an invasion. Other wise, it is wasted shields.

Go get 'em :hammer:

5. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

I think you've got the right idea (play a game with some solid structure) but the details don't seem to match up very well.

I would suggest that you use the utilities MapStat and/or CivAssistII to help you with the game. Very handy tools that let you know a lot about the other civs without you having to talk to them each turn.

Instead of 20 cities in 100 turns, aim for the first civ to have 20 self built cities. Both MapStat and CivAssistII track the number of AI cities, so you don't have to.

Not building Great Wonders is a good habit to have and is really rather painless. Capture them, fine; just don't build any. You won't miss them.

If you are going for a more robust warring experience, try something known as Non-Ossilating War (NOW). The concept is simple; the first civ you meet is the first one you kill. You have to be at war with them from the first time you meet them until they die. Once they are dead, the second civ you met becomes your target. And so on. The AIs may declare on you, but you can have only one self-declared war at a time. If you are fighting civ 1 and civ 4 starts a war, you can make peace with civ 4 (but not with civ 1).

The NOW still allows for trading with everyone but your targeted civ.

Be sure that you have 'Wait at end of turn' set to True/On.

You may find it helpful to log what you do as you play. Not too detailed, but just enough information where you can recall what you were planning to do from one game session to another. You might want to indicate when you built your cities, when you met the various civs and when you started and ended the wars.

This will stretch you a little bit, but not too much. :D

6. pi4t

pi4t Warlord

Thanks for the responses. Taking the points in turn:

I've never been able to get them to work (I use Vista). I'll try again before starting, though.

I had planned to use a lot of cities to produce settlers, but I see what you mean and will reduce the total to 10. I'd rather not just say 'before the other civs', because I just won't feel the same urgency to expand until it's too late.

Ok. Will decide which civ to play as soon.

Fine by me.

Will scrap this rule. Didn't particularly like it anyway ;)

I would do this, but I don't want to be at war all the time. I want plenty of time simply building infrastructure, but then again I do want to use the early units. I think I'll keep my rules on this one.

Was going to do this. Always have 'wait at end of turn' on anyway :)

Thanks again for the comments!

7. pi4t

pi4t Warlord

Here's the start I got:

Pretty good. What should I do? Settle where I am? What happens with the wheat if I settle on it?

(I can't view my picture, if other people can't, please say)

8. barbslinger

Can not see, BUT don't settle on wheat. Also, which CIV and what are the map settings.

9. pi4t

pi4t Warlord

Link to image

Settings in first post :)

EDIT:Got it now. Seem to have linked to the wrong page in my image.

10. barbslinger

Wow, tough call. Myself, I would save the incense for city 2 and move the settler to a more central location NE (hoping for water). How big is the map? It looks like standard so there should be water there. I thought of going 1SE but with the tundra I would not. It is tough to get a nice ring of cities when 1 -2 might be in mountainous tundra.

11. pi4t

pi4t Warlord

Will leave this for discussion for a day, because I need to go to bed now ;)

12. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

I would favor 1NW onto the hill, 'cos I get paranoid about city defense early in the game. Goody Hut gets popped by the initial build; BG inside the iniitial city radius and Incense at CxxC to the southeast.

13. Aabraxan

If that's fresh water that I see, which seems unlikely, I'd move 1 SE and settle. That gets you off the wheat and puts incense in the city radius for the capital. OTOH, if it's saltwater, first move the worker onto the hill for visibility. If there's no fresh water in sight, I'd go 1NW onto the hill. I don't like being 1 off the coast, but that puts you on a hill for better defense, pops the goody hut, and keeps the incense in range to grab it with the 2nd city. If there's fresh water in sight, that might change things.

14. del62

del62 Deity

I would start again http://forums.civfanatics.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

Options

1. Move worker onto mountain then think again
    2. Settle between wheat and Incence, not great, but options are limited
    3. Move settler North , things might not get better though

15. pi4t

pi4t Warlord

How can you tell if it's fresh water? Its stats are 2/2/0.

16. barbslinger

The 2/2/0 is food/shields/gold.
    Fresh water tiles have 1 gold. You can see that later when you see a river. the easier clue was clicking the water to see if it is ocean, coast or lake. Ocean and coast are not fresh water.
    It is kinda obvious from the save pic that it is coast but I have seen odd-ball maps before.

17. SuerChaJ

SuerChaJ Chieftain

I think Aabraxan is fog-gazing at the water NW and SW of the Western mountain. Those are coast tiles, but probably part of the ocean, not fresh water.

As someone who usually plays on warlord (for now), your start is not the greatest, but its not impossible either. Warlord still has plenty of advantages for the human, and you can probably pull a pretty good game out of this start. Just my opinion. I do agree that you should not found your city on the wheat, though. My vote is for NW. Good luck!

18. pi4t

pi4t Warlord

I meant the water was 2/2/0. I think it is fresh, because my worker can irrigate!

19. Aabraxan

Fresh water = 2 food. Salt water = 1 food. Also, you can't irrigate from salt water. I was actually referring to the water due south of the settler's original position. OK, so you've got a plains wheat, a goody hut, and incense, all within reasonable distance. This isn't a great start, but it's manageable. Good luck!

20. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

i think usually the stats are written f/s/c, so wouldn´t it be 2/0/2?

so that´s a lake in the south of your settler, which makes this start much nicer. 1. free aqueduct for probably 3 towns. 2. good early commerce 3. fresh water to irrigate. 4. some more 2f-tiles to start with.

then i would settler 1se. after a granary, you can spit out a settler every 8 turns. to set that up is very easy, you theoratically only need the wheat improved and either the bonus grass or another irrigated plains tile. with more good tiles improved you can try your hands on a combo factory as well.

it looks as if the lake has at least 4 tiles. from a capital 1se and what you can see, i´d settle the 2nd town to either side of the GH mountain - to share the wheat! 2nd town 3 se, 3rd town maybe 3 sw. very much depending on what you can see by then. 1 or two warriors first to explore.

have fun.

templar_x