Children of the Emperor – Life and Death amidst the Clans of Japan

Sorry for the drama, but I thought that was a pretty good metaphor.

One other question, do we want to train our first worker or steal it from a city-state?

Sorry for the drama, but I thought that was a pretty good metaphor.

One other question, do we want to train our first worker or steal it from a city-state?

It depends. Sometimes I go through strategy of stealing worker and making peace again at the same turn. The only problem with it is that we might need (and be able to produce) worker much earlier than any of near CS will have one.

I think that we should go with the plan to build it ourselfs, and when we will be starting production we might check if one of CSes has a worker, already. If yes we'll discuss "steal" option.

True. National College is a good option, but again. As knowledge is power we won't be able use our knowledge if we won't have power :p

Basically what I mean is that have following options stated at the moment:
1. National College beeline.
- I think we have to be sure about surroundings first. Are there any Civs around that might take our "hot spots" while we're building National College?
- Will Marble significantly increase our speed of NC production?

Do we go for Pottery->Writing, or Minning->Masonry->Pottery->Writing?
Second option requires also a Worker but gives us more flexibility in case we would drop NC at the moment (we can sell Marble and go for second city)

2. Beeline horses
3. Second city ASAP
Building or buying settler?
4. Beeline Stonehenge? Can increase our speed of building wonders and defense power quite quickly (when we go for Tradition)
Requires Calendar (which gives us half way to Writing anyways)
With worker we can sell silk.

New option 5. Beeline Great Library for GS points and Free Tech. Than NC.

My proposal is:
1. build scout and research pottery
2. After Scout is build we go for Warrior.
At this point scout gives us knowledge about surroundings so we can decide what we do next.
3. Build or steal worker (research options: Writing, Calendar, Minning).
In case we still I think a Monument will be an option also.
4. Next city in case of Minning selected or Stonehenge/GreatLibrary/NationalCollege in case Calendar, Writing.
Beelining Great Library (gaining fast GS points) is also great options so we could advance to Medival quicker.

I'd join, but I know near nothing of CiV, only CIV. :(

As a member of the Kagaku clan, I advise obtaining the National College now while we still can. All the early technologies are laughably easy to research when you have +50% science in your biggest city.

So, I am back and it is great to see so much interest in this next game! I shall pick the first citizen shortly, but first I will attempt to address at least most of the questions out there.

@ pouakai - I'm sorry to see you need to pull out, but I understand. I do appreciate you for taking the time to let us know. I hope you may be able to join us again when you have more time.

@ Ceskari - I'm enjoying your diary entries so far and encourage you (and everyone else!) to keep it up. I think it adds a lot to the game.

@ LegionSteve - I wouldn't get too discouraged about having a small clan just yet. I think you'll find the clan factor part of the random selection is going to help you get Gaiko players into the game despite having a smaller clan. You shoudn't have a major disadvantage to having a small clan until the point where all your members are active and there are no Gaiko players on the waiting list (around 8-10 active players if you stay at the current 2 Gaikos) , and hopefully we can get some more people to sign on before then. Anyway, tats my prediction and we'll see what happens.

@ Anyone else out there thinking about signing up - If you have a strong clan preference, then by all means follow your gut. If you don't have any real preference, or are keen on stepping outside your usual comfort zone, consider going for a Diplomatic Victory with the Gaiko. (Plus, hear me now and believe me later, if you weren't on the France waiting list and are interested on getting born sooner rather than later, a small clan is the way to go!).

@ grzybek - I'm sorry but no additional clans. I will consider it for a future outing. My intent for this game is to setup some conflict between the four clans as each prusues its victory condition. I'm not going to undermine that intent from the getgo with a new clan that wuld essentially be a compromise between two clans. Obviously, there are going to be times when clan's interests coincide. And being in one clan doesn't mean you'll have no interest in the other clans' objectives. Each and every one of the clans will need to use research to meet its goals and will likewise have times when they need military power either offensively or defensively, etc. Your clan really only defines your final objective, not how you go about trying to reach that objective.

@ Triskelli - Actually, in this game I'm going to say no switching clans at all. The intent in having folks sign up again is only to make sure they're still around and still interested in playing (because sadly not everyone is as considerate as Pouakai). My concern is this - why would a player act in the best long term interests of clan A, if the player's long term goal is to leave clan A and join clan B?. I'm sure there are ways around that problem, but I have enough new things in this game that on this point I am going to keep things simple and say once you join a clan, you are committed to them for the enire game.

@ Mosher - Your call. I'm not rally sure your specific concern, but will try to make the game accessible enough to folks who are less familiar with Civ5. I suggest you watch the first couple players and then decide if you'd like to give it a try.

I think that should answer all the burning questions out there. Will get the game officially kicked off shortly.

Good luck to all! (You're gonna need it!) :lol:

The game is now officially started. So who shall be our first citizen? Who shall be that wise and powerful Daimyo of Kyoto that will single-handedly take those first few steps on the path of our collective destiny?

Arexander of the Shihai clan, you are now Daimyo of Kyoto!
Spoiler What were the odds of Arexander becoming the first citizen? :

Answer, 22%.

Daimyo Arexander, you have 24 hours to let me know what you wish to do. As a minimum, you must choose what to research and what to produce. Anything else is up to you.
Spoiler :

(Since there are no other citizens to vote on the matter, Daimyo Arexander simply gets to make the decision. The flip side is, that if Daimyo Arexander does not respond, I will turn to our national advisors to determine what to do).
Spoiler A Note on my Timing Policy :
24 hours means a minimum of 24 hours and a maximum of when I get a chance to make the update. This is intended to keep the game moving, not to sit watching the stopwatch.

Spoiler How long will Daimyo Arexander live? :
As mentioned in the rules, no one can now for sure, but here are the life expectancies for the Ancient Era. Note that these do not include the effect of excess food/happiness bonuses.

Great to see this game started...hope to have luck to be born in ancient era to have some impact in japans cultural development.
Good luck for the first born in Kyoto.

Dear diary,

Today the citizens of Kyoto elected me as their first Daimyo. I was quite surprised of this result as there were other candidates who were more charismatic than me. I guess the citizens preferred my straightforward philosophy of warfare to the other more complex ones. I thank my ancestors for this opportunity to lead our nation on its first few steps.

After the formal feasts I ordered the citizens to begin training a unit of scouts to search the surrounding area for usable resources and possible new cities. I'm sure the population will grow to such extent that we need to spread out to avoid crowding in our current city of Kyoto. The other reason to explore is that I'm quite sure we, the Japanese, aren't the only people inhabiting this land. We need to find out who they are, where they live and then eliminate them, if they aren't willing to join our nation peacefully.

The shamans asked me what they should do. They had already taught the citizens how to farm and build basic monuments to honor the ancestors. I ordered them to take notes of how the large animals between the forested and bare hills live (research Animal Husbandry). We need to be able to take care of them and protect them from the predators so that we get more milk and meat from them. I don't want them to die as they provide a majority of Kyotos food.

It has been an interesting day for me and for the people of Japan. I am tired but glad.

Daimyo Arexander of Kyoto

Is there a rule that each city have to pay it's own bills or there is nothing like that? I can't find anything about it in the Rules section :)

I think I'll join. Sign me up for The Shihai clan.

Nice start to the game. I liek teh scout-warrior progression.
I bet Arexander will last 25-30 turns, based on the statistics, maybe 40 but definately not 50-100though, miracles happen.

Another Reason to reach for the later Eras im going to make a leap and say that the later eras a player will live a bit longer.

4000 BC (T0)
Arexander of the Shihai clan becomes Daimyo of Kyoto. Daimyo Arexander orders the research of Animal Husbandry and the training of a scout.

3800 BC (T5)
Kyoto grows in population, grandad1982 of the Kagaku clan is born in Kyoto!
Spoiler :

3760 BC (T6)
Kyoto completes training a scout.

Citizens of Japan, the council of T6, part one, is now in session for 24 hours. Please let me know anything you would like to do. (Votes are called for in part one, but voting is held in part two).

Some of the graphs are still in progress.
Spoiler :

Rules Comment:
  • Daimyos will not be allowed to intentionally make population growth stagnant until their city has at least 2 citizens.
  • Daimyos will not be allowed to intentionally starve their cities until their city has at least 3 citizens.

@grzybek - No, all money is kept in a common pot. I thought tracking for each city would get too complicated. But the more money your city makes, the more economic influence you have over how to spend the empire's gold.

Top Bottom