1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

China and Japan

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Skwink, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

2. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

Its not our whole job, I just consider alliances with dictators to be supporting them. We should support all free nations and hate dictatorship. We should not help right-wing dictators get power its silly.

China may not like it, but I don't think worldwide nuclear damage is really their idea of fun. Or, even if we both showed restraint, millions of soldiers on both sides dying. As you said, they don't even really like North Korea. Now, I don't think China would like it much, but they wouldn't dare to do a thing about it.

We can help.

South Korea and North Korea are still technically at war, and then there's the fact that NK sunk a ROK ship. South Korea would support us.
    I think we can.

3. Azale

Azale Deity

The PRC does not, and can not afford to think like that. Why be concerned about being #1 when you are too concerned about your own demographics and environment suffocating you?

4. Skwink

Skwink FRIIIIIIIIIITZ

I'm the Whiz! I'm the Whiz! Nobody beats me cause i'm the whiz!

5. Cheetah

Cheetah Deity

french_civ_fan got it: My question is where is the line between a dictator killing people and a dictator committing genocide? Is killing 10 people ok? 1000 people? Is it genocide when person number 100,000 is killed? Or is it by race? Is it genocide if more than a hundred Jews are killed, and only Jews, or do you need to kill 10,000 Jews to make it a genocide? What if you kill 50,000 people from all over the world? What if the dictator only kills left-handed people, or people who prefers bacon over steak?

And yet you do have alliances with dictators anytime you profit from it. :)

The US's talk about being the "leader of the free world" is just that - empty rhetorics that work well as domestic propaganda. Not that no other country in the world does the same of course, but the US seems to be the most vocal about it (or being the one most people can hear).

What if China simply starts dumping the dollar? Or enacts a trade embargo with the US in protest of your "war-like" attitude or something? They don't need to militarily intervene to cause problems.

Really? With your current expenses accounts in Iraq and Afghanistan growing at what seems to be an exponential rate, and still trying to recover from the last recession, you suggest that the US could help finance the reconstruction of North Korea too?

How much taxes do you think the average US citisen is willing to pay for this?

It's not about moral support, it's about the fact that no democratic government is keen on bringing war onto their own mainland. Even if they are guaranteed to win, lots of people will be angry about the perceived destruction that the Second Korean War will have caused in South Korea.

I'm not convinced yet.

6. dido

dido Prince

Where in the constitution said non-free countries are US' enemies?:confused:

7. tonberry

tonberry Emperor

You can argue that, for example, Cuba has a better healthcare than the US. I don't know if you can win the point but you can make it. However, North Korea is something else entirely. This is not a functionnal country. For starter, you can't go there and visit alone, you always need to be with a guid. The life of the normal people are completly pointless, then only go out then they are needed by the state then they go back to their home. Some people just wander aimlessly into the subway to make it look more crowded.

This is not propaganda, this is first-hand accound of people who've been here.

8. tonberry

tonberry Emperor

I hate to break this down to you but the US got along with many dictatorships just fine.

9. dido

dido Prince

You are really self-centered/Americentric, aren't you?

We are not moralist, can't afford to be. We, or any other country for that matter, should do things beneficial to ourselves. That is the only thing we SHOULD do. Morality and ethics are for school/church, not for politics

And you think Washington would dare to do anything?

It may hold some weight if you actually pay any taxes. Otherwise you are just suggesting other people to pay for you own fantasy.

10. Bast

Bast Protector of Cats

LOL I thought that guy was pretty cute.

11. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

From what I've heard about NK the education there includes a lot of propaganda including some ridiculous things, like Kim Il Sung invented electricity.

Don't they have problems with starvation in NK? I would doubt their healthcare system is better. There may have cheaper healthcare but then what is the quality?

12. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

They have quite a lot of trained doctors, but very little equipments or medicine, so DPRK doctors focus on preventative healthcare, which is difficult due to the constant food storages.

Cuba has pretty much the same problems, actually, though unlike North Korea they're not starving, but their economy's still in terrible shape.

13. Cheetah

Cheetah Deity

They have huge problems because they don't produce enough food to support themselves. They do produce quite a lot of fruits though, which evidently all is exported to get hard currencies. Then they ask the world community to give them food aid...

Oh, and Dear Leader also did his first hole-in-one the first time he tried golf, he has invented the hamburger, invisible mini-mobile phones so he can direct North Korean athletes when they are competing, and every other silly story you have heard about him. It's all true.

I would rather be a bum in Cuba or the USA, than a well-employed chief engineer in North Korea - at least in the first two places I don't risk being sent to the gas chamber as punishment for my neighbour's thought crime.

14. plarq

plarq Crazy forever

No, you should report your neighbors' thought crimes to the authority.

15. Luckymoose

Luckymoose The World is Mine

You're right. For the most part.

16. useless

useless Social Justice Rogue

America has supported it's own share of dictators, so they're hardly free...

17. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

First of all, I'd draw the line, first of all, at killing people for not doing anything. For instance, while China's laws are unfair, horrible, and ideally they should be dealt with, in reality, they are not on the list. They kill people who break their (Unfair) rules. The death penalty is not murder, however, using it for minor crimes is unfair, but its still not murder, its just overpunishment.

China also arrests people for speaking against the government, but so do all dictatorships, while North Korea will execute you just because they feel like it or you "Criticized the quality of life." That makes them special (Worth invading.)
    So do many other countries, but the thing is, I disagree with the US's foreign policy on this matter.

Its not propaganda, its true. Most of the free world are in NATO and most of the rest are non-NATO allies (IIRC Japan is free for the most part and a non-NATO ally.) The United States leads free countries in many ways.

As for them being alligned with dictators, its unfortunate IMO.

The first thing is going to happen anyway because we owe them so much. I think an all-out trade embargo would hurt them too much, but if they do, we learn to live without China.

I think so, but I think it would take awhile. In any case, they are already messed up, we just need to take Jong out.

We pay more right now for Medicare and Medicaid then the ENTIRE national defense. Social programs (Excessive social programs) are the problem, not the military.

I think that SK would still like to have NK back.

18. gangleri2001

gangleri2001 Garbage day!!!

19. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

Is there actually such thing as a "Thought Crime" anywhere other than in North Korea?

China doesn't have thought crimes do they?

I thought they don't even arrest you for speaking against them usually, unless you really annoy them and they want to make an example of you.

20. Azale

Azale Deity