1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

China and Japan

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Skwink, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Cheetah

Cheetah Deity

You won't hear any objection from me when you say the North Korea is way worse than China in every aspect. But you're still not making a good definition of where the line is drawn between killing people and genocide.

Most oppressive regimes make sure they have at least a sham trial before killing people. The judicial system in North Korea is tyrannical without equal, but it is still a judicial system, and for the most part, people are not killed, raped or otherwise brutalised without someone signing an order saying that they are criminals.

You can't first go around saying "we do this, we do that", and when I point out that that is wrong, then say "I disagree with the US on that". ;)

Sorry, you're not the leaders of the free world. :)

You're the most powerful democratic country on the planet, but that's about it. You have lots of friends who are also democratic, and mostly our opinions coincide. But you do have a tendency of going in front of the group and shouting opinions as if everyone thinks that way, and think you are leading anyone when everyone is simply going their own ways - ways that are pretty close to where you are shouting that we are going, but not necessarily your way.

And :lol: at "Japan is free for the most part"! :lol:

I'm sure you can. Just as they can live without you or Europe can live without Asia or Africa or whatever.

But have you ever considered what "living without" would actually entail in the short and medium run? :)

Not just take him out. Anyone who invades MUST also have a plan for what to do about the people living there.

Most of them are stuck 30 years in the past with regards to knowledge, training and competence, and almost all of them are malnourished or starved. Their infrastructure is quickly turning to rubble already, and machines, vehicles and factories are in extreme need of repair and replacements.

Then there are a couple hundred thousand in concentration camps that will be in desperate need of help.

And that's before considering that every single one of them have been indoctrinated that the rest of the world is a terrible place, and the Americans and the South Korean traitors want nothing more than to kill them all. They've had air raid alarms many times a month, and most people think the West are already bombing them and have been doing so for the last 50 years!

If you "just take out Jong-Il" and leave, there's gonna be a giant mess left that will suck South Korea and Northeastern China into ruin.

That's not the point! To fix the disaster that is North Korea you will need money. If you think the USA can supply some of it, tell me from where you will take it? New taxes? Cuts in some military budgets? Cuts in social programs? And do you really think most US citisens will accept any of that?

I know. They do want them back. But they are terrified of the consequences. It's a bit of a Catch 22. South Korea is stuck with a problem no matter what.

They most likely have some plans for "Reunification through war", some for "Reunification through North Korean collapse", and some for "Reunification through peaceful and orderly conduct". I'm guessing the last one will hurt the least for ordinary South Koreans (and maybe also North Koreans), but the question is if that is ever going to happen...

2. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

lol we have a north korean apologist on the forum...

3. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

We also have a bunch of Libertarians on the forum. The insanity and ignorance to truth events out;)

4. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Domination, why not recruit one or two members of your self-proclaimed Legion of Logic to actually post statistics when you make sweeping statements? That would make a refreshing change.

5. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

I think the 'legion of logic' needs to offer refersher courses on logical fallacies. Namely No True Scotsman.

6. Dann

Dann Green bug

Yeah, a day after 4 Japanese were arrested in China for spying.
    Linky
    Nothing like a little tit-for-tat to get the message across eh? Much more effective than endless meaningless howls of "We protest in the strongest language blah blah..."

However, even that was just a smokescreen to please the masses. What really hurt and made Japan back down was this:
    Source
    Smooth... :goodjob:

7. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

They are not on the same level :)

8. useless

useless Social Justice Rogue

No they are, they sprout out views which contradict their own "beliefs".

9. aelf

aelf Ashen One

10. useless

useless Social Justice Rogue

Whom hide their racist tendancies under the guise of "libertarianism".

11. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

I dunno but compare this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_North_Korea#Freedom_of_expression

and this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Rights_in_China

China is very bad but NK is even worse.

Well, the thing is, China will at least wait until you either threaten revolt or use drugs or something. North Korea will execute you just for speaking against them at all.

Well, North Korea will pronounce you guilty because they feel like it. In China's case, they at least belief (Though they don't prove it) that you are guilty.

Well, no country is free in every way. I don't know the exact situation in Japan though.

A lot of tough times on the country.

Free them, teach them how to work in a free market society, and give them the opportunity.

I'm aware. The fact that such camps still exist is good reason to invade.

:lol:

In my ideal US system taxes would be so low as well that we would have plenty left. But that's a different debate.

I think they'd still like them though.

Probably not.

Do we really? Who?

I'm sure there are a few, but not as many as Useless seems to think.

12. Karalysia

Karalysia Deity

It is good that the glorious People's Republic of China has punished the treacherous Wokou pirates of Japan for their grievous insult against a noble citizen. Long Live Hu Jintao for his wisdom and foresight in dealing with the Japanese imperialists most severely and may Japan return to being a province of China as it has been an inalienable part of the Motherland since time immemorial.

13. Azale

Azale Deity

For some reason, I doubt they were really spies.

Good to see the PRC practicing the tried and true "tantrum diplomacy".

14. Dann

Dann Green bug

:cringe:

I agree. Poor sods most probably were simply at the wrong place at the wrong time, conveniently providing the Chinese with the leverage they needed.

Hey if it works.... :dunno:

15. Karalysia

Karalysia Deity

I sense a thoughtcrime. Must I report you to the noble authorities?

16. Dann

Dann Green bug

Bah! They wouldn't bother with me.

(1) "Thoughtcrime" does not exist
    (2) If it does exist, they will find that almost the entire population is guilty of it!

17. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

IIRC Karalysia is an anarcho-communist pretending to be a PRC supporter.

If you posted about it on a forum, isn't it by definition not just a thoughtcrime?

I'm not sure how much criticism of the government you can get away with there, I would assume that as we are talking about the People's Republic and not the DEMOCRATIC People's Republic, you can get away with some criticism, especially as small as one of that "Oh no, he posted an anti-PRC smile on CFC! Arrest him!"

In seriousness, I thought they would only arrest you if they considered you a threat?

Of course!

18. Karalysia

Karalysia Deity

You know if this was still the good old days and Mao was still in power people like you would have been denounced as rightists and counterrevolutionary traitors and the Red Guard would be at your door and deal with you promptly. Alas. Alas indeed.

19. Cheetah

Cheetah Deity

Precisely.

The guy who may get the Nobel Peace prize for his work for democratic reforms in China didn't get nominated by writing a small forum post, and didn't get arrested until he was famous enough to be nominated.

If you don't challenge the Party, you'll be fine.

20. plarq

plarq Crazy forever

Well, the 14th Dalai Lama was once a Vice Chairman of People's Congress of People's Republic of China. Guess what? He won the Nobel Peace Prize!