China is fantastic in G&K

ahawk

King
Remember when the Paper Maker got nerfed in vanilla?

Well, now it's back to being a great UB. Why? Well, with the trading posts coming later in the tech tree in G&K, that little bit of extra gold gets you a long ways.

Remember when the GG bonus (15%) wasn't anything special?

Now that bonus is huge, seeing as how cities are tougher to take. Combine the GG with the Chinese UU, the Cho-ko-nu, and that's a lot of ranged fire power. And if that wasn't good enough for you, the Cho-ko-nu keeps its 'May Fire Twice' bonus as it upgrades into the Gatling and Machine Guns.

If you liked China before G&K, you'll probably like it even more today.
If you never thought much of China before, now's a great time to give them another shot.

Your post could be shortened to "China is fantastic".

Even after the nerfing they still get my vote as best all around Civ or did prior to G&K. I think the first post G&K balance patch could be interesting.

I haven't played China yet, but I have made the mistake of playing AGAINST China. Never again.....

I am absolutely going to take your suggestion and apply the Wu-ification effect to the AIs on a massive scale. I'll bet that there are pantheon/religious choices that magnify the effect dramatically. Yep, this is going to be fun!

Strangely, China has been the fodder for all civs on my recent playthrough as Arab in G&K. Its neighbour is Persia and France, and it's currently reduced to one city :|

Something fun: THe Chu-ko-nu ability is separate from Logistics... do they stack? Can you upgrade an Archer unit to have 3 movement? If so that even better. China doesn't get machine gunners, they get Minigunners.

My recent game Ethiopia about squashed China, but then all of a sudden they turn around and destroy Ethiopia and have third most cities after me and the ottomans. They are close to surpassing the Ottomans though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Wow, I just realised that because damage is calculated much more exact, the gg bonus is MUCH more useful.
But still, China was one of, if not the best civ in the game the whole time. It seems lots of people over look them because they are so generic. (AKA there one of the civs that have always and will always be in any civ game, unlike say the Iroquois or Polynesia.)

In my game China had the unforunate event of being stuck next to a Rome that quickly defeated Greece and Persia. But Romes route to China was from Rome, past 2 states Rome had puppeted. So the reinforcement line was very long to Beijing. Rome was able to take Shanghai and advance no further. China had the largest population in the world by some margin despite having just 1 city. It was then nuked by a sneaky Byzantium human player who came from the opposite direction after finishing off his side of the world. :goodjob:

Don't forget the fact that GGs now culture bomb. It's a shame I can't continually burn GGs into golden ages like in vanilla, but it's a lot of fun having so many culture bombs.

Wow, I just realised that because damage is calculated much more exact, the gg bonus is MUCH more useful.
But still, China was one of, if not the best civ in the game the whole time. It seems lots of people over look them because they are so generic. (AKA there one of the civs that have always and will always be in any civ game, unlike say the Iroquois or Polynesia.)

It's true. Plus everyone's still experimenting with the new civs uu's and ua's. Japan is even better with the expansion, but probably won't be played for another month after it wears off.

I tend not to play China because Im not a warmonger, but they are an all round fantastic civ.

It's true. Plus everyone's still experimenting with the new civs uu's and ua's. Japan is even better with the expansion, but probably won't be played for another month after it wears off.

I'd also guess Rome is even more THE rush civ now you need to bring cats to take cities

In the hands of a player China is deadly, but the AI never seems to Wu it up to the full potential. Obviously they're less inclined to exploit the Cho-Ko-Nu's massive advantage (best UU in the game?) and they just don't seem aggressive enough to survive against those prone to runaway. An AI China next to an AI Iroquois or Siam or Mongolia will tend to get its ass handed to it. In most games I've played with AI China, by the end of the game China is either wiped out or is in control of only Beijing and Shanghai, with Guangzhou on down controlled by other civs. I wonder why this is, given China's UU and UB?

And if that wasn't good enough for you, the Cho-ko-nu keeps its 'May Fire Twice' bonus as it upgrades into the Gatling and Machine Guns.

Also England's Longbowmen keep their +1 Range upgrade in similar circumstances, allowing you to keep using your Gatling guns for ranged support behind your front line.

Top Bottom