China seals town after police kill protesters

CurtSibling said:
Sounds like the anti-Chinese propaganda machine to me.

Its possible,the CIA and the Pentagon does have a budget that send money to propagandizers to give disinformation against the american people.But my question is how do we know that is true?;)

The villagers were probably shot because they were using violence on the police officers. That's what I think as of now, at least.

CurtSibling said:
Sounds like the anti-Chinese propaganda machine to me.

Yeah, because we need anti-chinese propaganda to make us believe that their regime is authoritarian and willing to harm protesters.

. (dot added for showmanship)

De Lorimier said:
Yeah, because we need anti-chinese propaganda to make us believe that their regime is authoritarian and willing to harm protesters.

. (dot added for showmanship)

And from what exactly did you form your opinion on the Chinese?

Seeing as you imply you do not refer to magazines or general Western media.

I assume you actually live in China, and your views are from first-hand and
not from any Canadian/US state-media companies. Good to see someone with
a view that is free from any outside influence.

(I hope you can detect the sarcarsm)

GrandAdmiral said:
Do you think the story uis completely made up or just the number of deaths and the interviews with the villagers?

You can be surprise that there is a technology that can do just that.Read some of the reviews that M.I.T. in Massachusettes is developing.I am not saying that there is an elaborate conspiracy against us.But it can happen.:ninja:

CurtSibling said:
And from what exactly did you form your opinion on the Chinese?

Seeing as you imply you do not refer to magazines or general Western media.

I assume you actually live in China, and your views are from first-hand and
not from any Canadian/US state-media companies. Good to see someone with
a view that is free from any outside influence.

(I hope you can detect the sarcarsm)

Am I suppose to argue with you about the state of democracy and personnal freedom in China? I don't need to quote books wrote by Chinese dissents about the Tiananmen square massacre or the institutionalized repression to convince anyone about the state of affairs in China. Believe it or not, people can form an opinion even if CNN exists, you arrogant smugger. Now you're free to write another of your ridiculous self-important reply.

Huang said:
Except the protesters want money this time.

Could you please elaborate because I'm not sure where you got that from. The only mention of money I heard was the Chinese government offering hushup money which was said to be declined. Of course thats according to these stories but nobody has offered anything else besides assumptions. I'm sure China has its own propaganda machine so what's their take on it, or are they really not responding?

De Lorimier said:
Am I suppose to argue with you about the state of democracy and personnal freedom in China? I don't need to quote books wrote by Chinese dissents about the Tiananmen square massacre or the institutionalized repression to convince anyone about the state of affairs in China. Believe it or not, people can form an opinion even if CNN exists, you arrogant smugger. Now you're free to write another of your ridiculous self-important reply.

You stumbled over my point and fell headlong into a sea of your own pith and vinegar.

The point was that you seemed to imply that your (obviously negative and broad-brushed)
view of China was created without any reference to media or heavily reported
(and politically-charged) incidents like Tiananmen.

And that, my good sir, is total baloney.

Your viewing of the news and choice of books help forment a view that
co-opts to your already solidified vision of 'evil' Chinese...It is not as if
you are going to care about any accounts from the other side of the
coin, are you?

And you know all this because you're an omniscient being of course.
Or is it just your usual tiresome arrogance?

I'm willing to listen to the other side of the story, granted it exists.
The Chinese government and its news agencies are not a valuable news source.
You prefer to attack the evil western conspirators instead. Your choice is far from being better.

I for one think that western media in general try very hard to portray China in the most positive light possible.

I don't know the particularities of this case and thus won't comment any further, but it is a fact that repression is widespread in China and occasionally the consequences are pretty ugly.

@Curt_Sibling, Are you aware that you use exact the same arguments as Holocaust deniars? I do not know the exact state of China, however, we can trust our journalists, authors, politicians and the NGO's, as they could never be controlled by someone alone, for example the CIA. Of course, if you want to be totally politically correct, you'd need to take also a look at the government of people's republic of china point of view. But that is just too much work, as we know out of countless years of experience that they lie to a great extent.

@topic, It surprises me that that topic only appears now, I've heard and seen it in newspapers already yesterday, or was it the day before? anyways, quite some time already... ;)

mitsho

mitsho said:
@topic, It surprises me that that topic only appears now, I've heard and seen it in newspapers already yesterday, or was it the day before? anyways, quite some time already... ;)

mitsho
To mitsho and Curt Sibling and others,just read the thread on Page 2 under the title'The Media'.It is a good review on how government fight one another in the world of information,ie.the electronic,print media.:)

GrandAdmiral said:
Could you please elaborate because I'm not sure where you got that from.
This is what the Seattle Times article said :
During the demonstration, thousands of people gathered to protest the amount of money the government offered as compensation for land to be used to construct a wind-power plant.
It seems to the peasants just want more money. This is my assumption based on no numbers so far, however. Seems like the Coase Theorem at work.

Huang said:
This is what the Seattle Times article said :

It seems to the peasants just want more money. This is my assumption based on no numbers so far, however. Seems like the Coase Theorem at work.

Oh I thought you were talking about something else.

The Yahoo story has more details on the governments position. According to the Chinese governement the protestors were throwing explosives at them. I also notice that they cited Hong Kong new sources for the accounts from villagers. Is that considered a western source as well?

Top Bottom