1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

China supports McCain

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Loppan Torkel, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Loppan Torkel

Loppan Torkel Deity

Perhaps not that surprising, but interesting nonetheless. It's not official, but according to a major swedish newspaper, the chinese 'statepaper' is critisising Obama and questioning him if he can do what's necessary... and they wouldn't print anything without having this supported from the top, would they?

Does this influence anything?

It seems China usually supports republicans because they don't care for human rights as much...

2. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

Can you post a link?

3. Adebisi

Adebisi Emperor

Hardly - A democrat president probably would not interfere with Chinas inner affairs for humane reasons. Compare the situation with Cuba for example.

The issue here is probably protectionism, McCain is for free trade while the Democrats have been against it for some time. Obama might impose tariffs against China because of labor and environmental issues, but the real reason would be protectionism that his voters are pushing for, and which does not benefit China, the US or anyone in the world for that matter.

http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/John_McCain_Free_Trade.htm
    http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/Barack_Obama_Free_Trade.htm

4. Loppan Torkel

Loppan Torkel Deity

I thought protectionism could have something to do with it, just like people here see some advantages with a republican president, but it wasn't brought up by this paper. However it did say human rights were one reason among other things why republicans usually are prefered. This part was only a commentary by some selfproclaimed expert probably.

Here's a link, unfortunatly in swedish, but it doesn't say much other than what I've said...
    http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=148&a=794199
    ~Up til now, no official comments have been made. Today China's statecontrolled 'people's newspaper' made an unusual critical comment to Obama, questioning his abilities to do what's necessary. Further the paper indicates that McCain would be a better president.

5. Fox Mccloud

Fox Mccloud Deity

Loppan, I googled it and could not find even one credible and reliable reference that China or any of it's government controlled media support or in any way endorse McCain. Although can not read the link or know whether or not what it says is credible it sounds to me, from your descriptions, that they mostly spend their paper criticising Obama rather then supporting McCain. Criticism of one candidate does not equate to an endorsement of another although that would be the usual implications of criticism.

Even if it is true that the Chinese government endorses McCain, which I must doubt, it would be a hypocritical attempt at obfuscation of fact made without any contextual reality for Obama or his supporters to denounce McCain for his Chinese endorsements as Obama recieves far more disturbingly questionable endorsements from supporters ranging from communist dictators to leftist activists and racists.

Some Obama supporters:

Oliver Stone Gushes Over Castro and Obama

My Vote's for Obama (if I could vote) ...by Michael Moore

Fidel Castro Supports Obama

New Black Panther Party Endorses Obama

Farrakhan: Obama is 'Hope of the Entire World' (Granted, Obama did denounce his support)

Nicaraguan leader (Daniel Ortega) calls Obama's campaign 'revolutionary'

Moveon.org supports Obama

that is all

6. sonorakitch

sonorakitch Overseas hunter

^
    Great to see you back Fox. Nice list of "endorsements" there too.

China's support(?) for McCain would be entirely because of free trade. It is no secret Obama is more of a protectionist.

I even predict The Economist endorses McCain this fall for this reason.

~Chris

7. sonorakitch

sonorakitch Overseas hunter

8. plarq

plarq Crazy forever

Doom for McCain.
    China's support is clearly considered a sign of betrayal.

9. Loppan Torkel

Loppan Torkel Deity

I thought the news was interesting, but I wasn't sure if there's any relevance to it. Is it? Does it influence anything in any way? China supporting McCain seems like EU supporting Kerry, it's more likely to push supporters to the other side... so why do it?

10. Fox Mccloud

Fox Mccloud Deity

Thank you for the kind welcome and the link. After reading, it appears I was mostly correct that the paper was criticising Obama but stopped a little short of endorsing McCain.

I agree with you here and I also find this news interesting as it lends a view on what the Chinese are thinking and what they hope to influence.

I doubt that any Chinese support would would cause McCain's supporters to abandon him. If Castro or the Black Panther's support for Obama apparantly had no significant influence on what his supporters and others think of him, then an endorsement for McCain from a government that remains officially silent on the issue is probably inconsequential and has equally as much influence on how Americans percieve McCain.

11. Zarn

Zarn Le Républicain Catholique

Like others said and even you acknowledged, it is not a social issue but a economic one.

McCain isn't Bush, either, when it comes to authoritarianism.

Also, despite Obama's rhetoric, McCain would probably make a better diplomat. Obama cannot even cooperate with the opposing party, but McCain has (and he is good at it). Obama is much too stubborn and self-righteous. McCain is actually in trouble with some of the Bible Belt, because he is cooperative. The relations with a few (not all) of the world dictators would sour with McCain, however. The PRC could see this. They may not, but that is another speculation in addition to the economic one.

12. plarq

plarq Crazy forever

The real question is: are American voters xenophobic?
    If not, those alien support doesn't matter.

13. bhsup

bhsup Deity

No, not in the least. We American voters are, however, an odd breed that has this quirky view that laws should be obeyed.

14. Zarn

Zarn Le Républicain Catholique

Really, because Americans have opposed some pretty cruddy laws in the past.

15. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

This could hurt Obama politically.

16. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Let the free market decide.

17. scy12

scy12 Deity

That if good. When you said laws should be obeyed i guess you meant , all laws , correct ?

18. Archbob

Archbob Ancient CFC Guardian

Its all economics like people have said. Tariffs would be bad for China.

19. Japanrocks12

Japanrocks12 tired of being a man

asians hate black people

20. Archbob

Archbob Ancient CFC Guardian

At least it gives me another topic to blog about in my blog.
    Woot, most Asians will probably end up voting McCain this election anyways.