1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Chinese 3000 BC strategy

Discussion in 'Gameplay Guides' started by youtien, Jun 4, 2017.

1. youtien

youtien Lyricist

Long time no see , it is me again.

In recent version, China couldn't be OP like before anymore, but we still can get some advantage.

1. Send your 4th settler to Mandalay, that rainforest-jungle-hill tile, along with a militia.
    2. Found it and gift to India.
    3. Declare war and raze the city, you get a slave and a cleared city ruin tile with a road.
    4. Found Kunming or Nanning near it, send worker to mine that gold.
    5. Make peace.
    n. Found another rainforest city on the way to India, raze it as before, now you have a clear way into India, a group of swordsmen can wipe out Indian or make them capitulate.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    Publicola likes this.
  2. Fresol

Fresol Angry Halfling in Green

I wonder whether a city gifted away can be razed upon recapture? Sometimes you just reclaim the city without given the option to choose "raze the city".

3. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

What a gamey way to clear rainforests. :lol::lol::lol:

1SDAN and Ecthy like this.
  4. Baur

Baur Chieftain

It depends on how many your people live in the city. If percentage is higher around 20% (?), you can't erase it

5. Fresol

Yeah I remember something like this, but I don't remember the details. I miss the days when building plantation removes the rainforest/jungle terrain feature. Now rainforest resources are just worth less.

6. youtien

youtien Lyricist

Me again~! Newest rainforest-killing strategy:

1. Found Luoyang, worker-scout-settler(2 pop, found Shanghai)-militia-worker-settler(3 pop). Research toward writings, leverage and then masonry.
    2. 3rd settler goes to Dhaka, SE from Indian spawning spot! Found it before Indian spawn, then refuse the flip, then grant it independence.
    3. 4th settler found Chittagong and let it go indy, militia raze it right away, then raze Dhaka as well. You get about 30 gold and a slave to hurry the Pyramids in Luoyang.
    4. 5th settler Found Lanzhou on iron, build up a little while.
    4. Found Shilong, it is an amazing spot.
    5. Found Mandalay and do whatever it takes to raze it, then Shilong can work on that gold right away.
    6. Research Bloomary, enter classical era. Now our cities start at 2 pop, with 1 turn and 2 hammers, it can whip an archer(32 hammer). After that, gift or let it go indy, then raze it. Clear rainforest around Hanoi and Calcutta, then you'll have best cities on the map.

Look at me at the turn I got UHV - Conquered Delhi with Mauseleum of Mausollos, got 2 extended golden ages one by GP, one by 2/3 UHV, which counted as 3. Started the 4th GA with 3 GP.
    Civ4ScreenShot0057.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0056.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0055.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0054.JPG

7. Ecthy

Ecthy Chieftain

Those last screenshots are from different games, with differently placed cities. I've noticed you tend to place several of your cities outside of your core, or historical area respectively. Doesn't this make expansion more difficult?

8. Fresol

Since you can never have positive expansion stability you don't gain anything by sitting in your core.

And youtien intentionally strengthened his core with Lanzhou, in that case you normally wouldn't have any expansion stability problem after ancient era.

9. Ecthy

Ecthy Chieftain

It is true that you cannot be positive. But the more conservative you are in placing your first cities, the more expansive room you have. I'm saying this as one who never found Plyymouth as the English. Because you simply don't need to found outside of your historical/contested area in order to meet the UHVs. Yet some prefer to settle all of North America, sigh. And everbody keeps omitting the difficulty level they play on, making all discussion kind of moot...

Rodnok likes this.
  10. youtien

youtien Lyricist

Since workers are limited in recent version, it's important to save workforce. By founding/razing cities, you gain free road and clearing rainforest. And Lanzhou gets 2 pigs and free iron.

11. Theodorick

Theodorick Chieftain

I hope I am not the only one finding this ridiculous. :lol:

12. Fresol

It is ridiculous. I would never settle Lanzhou. ;)

13. youtien

youtien Lyricist

Try it, it is really useful:

1. 2 pigs and shared wheat & mine with Luoyang. You don't have enough workforce in early game, overlap is good.Although it needs a road to connect Luoyang.
    2. Iron.
    3. Defense. No barb may cross your hill and river.
    4. Incense. The next best possible spot is inland Beijing.
    5. Core.

Publicola likes this.
  14. ngazi

ngazi Chieftain

Is coastal that important in DOC? Hate water tiles except for pure food cities.

15. Fresol

Better commerce through trade routes and better health from seafood, so yeah coastal cities are quite good. In addition there are lots of coastal cities with high production potentials.

16. Fresol

Well reasonable. But if I play as China I tend to play on my customized map.

17. Force44

Force44 Chieftain

I recently started to play around with the latest version. (congrats to everyone for the release)
    After a couple of failures to achieve an UHV on Paragon Marathon as Babylon (still an enigma, how do I get both mathematics and writing in time?) and Egypt (close, I need to figure out a way to get that final great priest sooner to get to philosopy (to build the great library) in time) I decided to take a step back and give the Chinese civilization a try.

On marathon there is enough time to settle Beijing (coastal) and Lanzhou before performing the Dhaka-trick.
    Also your first archer arrives in time to take out both Babylon and Egypt before they start building wonders. The experience gained from this makes him quite a monster (in fact strong enough to take out Sur and Jerusalem and achieve a victory by conquest)

When I aim for the UHV (unique historical victory) what cities in India do you recommend to keep around.

Perhaps not raze Delhi? (without the flip of Delhi Dhaka gets captured and becomes the founding city for Hinduism and the capitol of India)

Also how did you rid yourself of Mandalay? I can't grant it independence because it is in my historical area but I'd love to get my hands on that gold for Shilong early (and now that I mention Shilong, to my taste Dhaka is a bit to close to Shilong)

18. JHLee

JHLee Chieftain

Is Beijing better than Kaifeng?
    You give up 2health from river plus ability to build grand canal plus levee.
    The fish can be put to full use by settling 1W1N of Shanghai.
    I see no reason Beijing should be prioritized than Kaifeng.

19. Force44

Force44 Chieftain

The two health hurts. My main reason for setteling as far north as my core allows are the plots I can cover with my third ring.

20. Rob (R8XFT)

Rob (R8XFT) Ancient Briton Super Moderator

Moderator Action: Moved thread to the Gameplay Guides section.