1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Chinese 3000 BC strategy

Discussion in 'Gameplay Guides' started by youtien, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Autumn Leaf

Autumn Leaf Since 1992

I had an observation I wanted to make on Lanzhou but I lost track of this thread, so I'm happy to see it pop back to the surface.

My Chinese games mostly use a four-city core: Luoyang, Shanghai, coastal Beijing, Lanzhou. Lanzhou is usually the runt of the litter, but in one game where I knew I would want to expand later on and would need as much core population as possible, I found an amusing way to grow the runt. Not sure it still works with the latest version (Leoreth may have nerfed the key step - I think now you can't have any religion in the city in order to build the pagan wonders) but ...

Basically the trick was to develop my core and rush Astronomy (easy for the overpowered Chinese research machine), stash a couple of GEs in Lanzhou (the well-developed Chinese core was a GP battery and I usually got a couple of spare GEs along the way without explicitly trying for them), found a throwaway city on a Corn tile in South America (Colombia was easy to reach and rarely occupied by the AI Incans before I got there), switch back to paganism (the key step), and fast-build the Floating Gardens (+6 :food:) and Machu Picchu (+2 :gold: per peak) in Lanzhou. The extra food gave Lanzhou three extra population and the 10 free gold from 5 peaks turned it into an economic powerhouse. If I still had GEs to spare I'd also build any left over pagan wonders that caught my fancy. Then as soon as the cool-down period was over I'd switch back to my original civics and religion. [Edit: it helped to do all this during a Golden Age, to minimise Anarchy]

I'd usually be in America too early to get the Conquerors event, but gifting my American city to the incans later (it would eventually flip to Colombia anyway so no point keeping it into modern times) made them very happy and they'd often voluntarily vassalize to me, if they hadn't already.

[Edits: removed a spare "developed", added a missing "and" and "Columbia">"Colombia", and added mention of Golden Age]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    black213 and Publicola like this.
  2. freethink

freethink Chieftain

The new unique power ruined me, I was just starting to get good at China, finally after years of playing badly. Now however I am backward again everytime to no avail.

3. Logoncal

Logoncal Chieftain

You know, i'm glad they reworked the UP. I'm playing 1.15 non-SVN where it has the old power and my god...

Yeah....

4. freethink

freethink Chieftain

that never happened to me

5. freethink

freethink Chieftain

even then no matter what i tried i always fell behind the world
    I could even reach the americas first but still fell behind crippled by debt.
    But the difference is that I eventually learned I could be on equal footing for a few years between 1200-1600

now
    it takes me until 100 BC-200 AD to reach the classical era on a good day where i get the Oracle
    and if i dont, its even worse.

I like to play China but never very good at it.

6. mrrandomplayer

mrrandomplayer Potentially back

Any ideas of how to improve on this with the new wonders? Particularly the one that gives +1 food to all river tiles (and currently no expiration date) seems busted.

Publicola likes this.