Chinese Dissident Liu Xiaobo won Nobel Peace Prize Today

plarq

Crazy forever
Discuss.

Idea No.1: What would I get if I join such a dissident group? Does jail time translate into political asylum in the West?

Idea No.2: Can I get a prize if I go to jail?

plarq said:
What would I get if I join such a dissident group?

Is joblessness a gain?

plarq said:
Does jail time translate into political asylum in the West?

You would probably need to be high profile. The low profile dudes tend to rot. And I'm not sure political asylum in the West is all its cracked up to be... here we would probably just throw you in an admittedly quite comfortable detention camp for a prolonged period.

plarq said:
Can I get a prize if I go to jail?

I don't know... do they do mass dancing in Chinese jails?

I was watching this at 4am when I woke up to piddle. The Norwegian dude was talking and someone asked about PRC pressure on the committee not to pick this guy. He responded something to the effect that the committee was a totally independent and wasn't concerned about pressure from outside parties (or something like that.)

I am so glad he was picked over "the internet" which was apparently one of the probable choices.

-I- would give you one if it was in my power. Not sure how much water it holds with the immigration folks.

Anyway I'd first to try to study in the West as a Ph.D candidate (the girl may not follow suit but who cares). Then I'll retreat as a political refugee.

Whether or not the guy deserves a prize, is the Peace Prize the correct award?

How has this guy helped make the world more peaceful, or have the Chinese government been involved in several wars in the last decade that I wasn't aware of?

How has this guy helped make the world more peaceful, or have the Chinese government been involved in several wars in the last decade that I wasn't aware of?

Ah well, this time around it's less of a joke then the 2007 and 2009. At least they didn't award it to an american for "not being Bush".

Kimmy III should have won it for not plaguing South Korea with the world's biggest refugee crisis.

I was watching this at 4am when I woke up to piddle. The Norwegian dude was talking and someone asked about PRC pressure on the committee not to pick this guy. He responded something to the effect that the committee was a totally independent and wasn't concerned about pressure from outside parties (or something like that.)

The chinese vice foreign minister warned not to pick him or it could cause irrepairable damage to our countries relations.

"This commitee is totally independent" Says head of the NPP commitee and former prime minister of norway. ;)

The chinese seem pretty freaked out about this, though. Mere minutes after the announcement the BBC and CNN were taken off air in china. Though I guess awareness of Charter 08 is a pretty big concern for them.

Humanitarian and human rights causes is one of the most common Peace prize winners. In fact the first commitee consisting of personal friends of Alfred Nobel gave it to the founder of red cross and some other non-war related causes.

The red cross is certainly one of the most war related causes that ever got the price awarded.

Uh.. No?

To quote wiki: The International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement is an international humanitarian movement with approximately 97 million volunteers worldwide[1] which was founded to protect human life and health, to ensure respect for all human beings, and to prevent and alleviate human suffering, without any discrimination based on nationality, race, sex, religious beliefs, class or political opinions.

That is humanitarian, and not related to war or peace, though it is naturally more active in wartorn areas.

Anyway, take a quick look at a list of winners and its obvious this guy qualifies. I don't think we should overturn 100 years of presedence because some people think they know Alfred Nobels intentions better than the institute he founded.

Top Bottom