Chinese ships 'harassing' US navy

RedRalph

Deity
From BBC.co.uk

Five Chinese ships have manoeuvred dangerously close to a US navy vessel in the South China Sea, the US government has said.

US officials said the incident came after days of "increasingly aggressive" acts by Chinese ships.

These violated international law on respecting other users of the seas, a Pentagon spokesman said.

A protest was expected to be delivered to the Chinese military attache at the Pentagon on Monday.

The ships had "aggressively manoeuvred" around the USNS Impeccable "in an apparent co-ordinated effort to harass the US ocean surveillance ship while it was conducting routine operations in international waters", a Pentagon statement said.

The US ship sprayed the Chinese vessel with water from fire hoses to try to force it away, according to US officials.

But they said the Chinese crew stripped to their underwear and carried on approaching to within 25ft (8m).

No immediate response from the Chinese government was reported.

I wonder what's behind this?

Sophomoric shenanigans, obviously.

Agreed.

Though all those agencies and civilian entities should be charged and fined for violating international maritime law. Reckless endangerment like that is illegal.

The US ship sprayed the Chinese vessel with water from fire hoses to try to force it away, according to US officials.
But they said the Chinese crew stripped to their underwear and carried on approaching to within 25ft (8m).
:snorts out coffee:

OP said:

Is this real? :lol:

Were these PLN ships or civvies?

The article I read said one was PLN, two were from other Chinese agencies, and two were civilian trawlers.

Stop spying on China and I bet incidents like this would cease.

Indeed:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ship/tagos-23.htm

The mission of the T-AGOS 23 Class ships is to collect, process, and transmit acoustic data in support of the Integrated Undersea Surveillance System (IUSS) mission requirements. The ship will be operated by the Military Sealift Command (MSC) utilizing both civilian and naval personnel to carry out its mission. In short, this vessel is used by the military to track submarines, and is the quietest vessel the government operates, outside of submarines themselves. The unique hull form is one of the most impressive features of this massive 281-foot vessel.
I wonder what the US would do if the Chinese started deploying similar vessels just outside of the US territorial limit to track our own submarines.

Why? Every country spies on other countries especially large ones that could be hostile in the near future. Pure rationality. Such incidents are worth it if useful information is gathered on Chinese activities.

Why? Every country spies on other countries especially large ones that could be hostile in the near future. Pure rationality. Such incidents are worth it if useful information is gathered on Chinese activities.

Well, before trying to understand the complex issue of Sino-American geopolitical interaction, maybe some reading comprehension skill would do you good. I did not say that the US should stop spying on China or that such endeavors are not worthwhile. I thought they teach reading comprehension in grammar school, but I could be wrong.

Moderator Action: Warned for flaming.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Well, before trying to understand the complex issue of Sino-American geopolitical interaction, maybe some reading comprehension skill would do you good. I did not say that the US should stop spying on China or that such endeavors are not worthwhile. I thought they teach reading comprehension in grammar school, but I could be wrong.
Looks like someone's got a case of the MONDAYS.

I did not say that the US should stop spying on China. I thought they teach reading comprehension in grammar school, but I could be wrong.

:confused:

I dont think the fact that the chinese came out to greet the US ship is the issue, but more of how close it got.

I wonder what the US would do if the Chinese started deploying similar vessels just outside of the US territorial limit to track our own submarines.

We certainly don't endanger the lives of any of the personel even after their daily and ceasless attacks on our DoD websites, which unlike operating a vessel in international waters is illegal. Try again.

We certainly don't endanger the lives of any of the personel even after their daily and ceasless attacks on our DoD websites, which unlike operating a vessel in international waters is illegal. Try again.

the US surely practises similar tactics?

We certainly don't endanger the lives of any of the personel even after their daily and ceasless attacks on our DoD websites, which unlike operating a vessel in international waters is illegal.
You mean as the US has done numerous times in the past by banging into Soviet nuclear submarines?

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we...page=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM

The U.S. Navy, with approval from President Clinton, has made major changes in its submarine operations in hopes of avoiding further collisions with Russian subs, Defense Secretary Les Aspin said Sunday.

Two collisions in the past two years have troubled the Russians and raised questions about why America continues its Cold War-era policy of shadowing Russian submarines. Clinton promised Russian President Boris Yeltsin at their Vancouver summit last April that he would order a Pentagon...

Try again.
Indeed.

You mean as the US has done numerous times in the past by banging into Soviet nuclear submarines?

I will give you exactly one chance for you to explain why you pretend this is relevant to the discussion.

One chance form, which is exactly one chance more than you deserve.

Didn't the Soviets do things like this on a regular basis back in the day? The Chinese are probably just trying to pretend that they are major navy players.

Top Bottom