Choices in 2004

Your choices (limited by me):

• Keep playing vanilla Civ3, waiting for Conquests to be ported in 4Q\2004.

Votes: 17 70.8%
  • GOTM, definitely GOTM.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Nah, gonna beat up the world with C&C: Generals in 1Q/2004.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Just bide my time until Rise of Nations arrives from MacSoft in 2Q/2004

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Hey, dude, there's more to it than the foregoing, see my post below:

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

Sid

Observer and Participant
Supporter
Given time and money -- and the increases in specs that allow bigger and better gaming -- what are you looking forward to in 2004?

Apologies for the spurious timeframes (RoN is an educated guess; Conquests is a cynical jibe). I'm really going to do as much of the above as the constraints -- time and money -- allow.

I really hope to hear from the rest of this wonderful community, so please share your thoughts. I'd be interested if anyone has a comment about the potential for RoN to conflict with future expansions of Civ3, given that MacSoft co-hosts both franchises. RoN is listed for demonstration at MacWorld, so if anyone's lucky enought to see it, let us know.

Hiya djb, RoN is listed in the Games Arcade at MacWorld, via Apple's Game site. As Westlake's site doesn't get updated at the moment, it could be one of: Russell, Booty Call, or Chalk, would be my guess.

C'mon, share your thoughts ...

I don't even have time to complete GOTM, and I have GOTM staff tasks to do as well. So there's no chance of doing anything else, specially not real life :D

It's vanilla for me. I'd love to try the GOTM, but frankly, I don't have the editor, and remain utterly clueless regarding how the Mac community can participate. I may give RoN a whirl when it comes out, but will probably spend most of my gaming time connected to my PS2 and Gamecube.

You don't need an editor for GOTM. Just create a copy of your 1.29b2 installed Civ3 folder (you have upgraded to 1.29b2, haven't you?) then apply the installers linked in my sig to add all the GOTM units and Civs to the new one. Download the start file and you're away.

Raijer, as someone who has recently overcome GOTM antipathy (all those files!), I can assure you that Alan's system works fine and the games are worth it. I get done like a dog's dinner every time (even on Conquests), but I think my overall game play is improved when I return to my vanilla Regent games.

AlanH and Sid: much thanks. I have to admit I'm a bit gun-shy about posting in the Mac forum, as it seems to be a forum for the Mac computer expert, something I am most definitely not. Lurking in this forum, as I often do, simply reminds me of this fact. Half the time, I have no idea what you people are talking about! ;)
Anyway, I have tried downloading the GOTM in the past, and something inevitably goes wrong. I'm sure the error is mine, however, I hesitate to post stupid questions, as my previous stupid questions have promted nasty responses from those far more in the know, Mac-wise, than I. This, of course, does not apply to most Macsters who post here, most of whom are freindly and helpful, but it's a turn-off nonetheless. It basically raises the question: why bother?
But, from your friendly post, I decided to give it one more go... and what else should occur but a problem? Perhaps you can help?

Attachments

• prob1.jpg
    prob1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 202
I'm sorry this forum has put you off. It's certainly not intended to be an ivory tower for Mac-geeks to show off their expertise. It's intention - certainly mine - is to do exactly what you want, and answer your questions. I've spent more years in customer technical support that I care to remember, and I long ago learned an old saying that's ABSOLUTELY TRUE: The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask. If you have a question then you want an answer, and it should be no one else's judgement call to decide whether you deserve an answer, or need an answer.

Your screenshot is from a Mac OS 9 or earlier system, as it does not have the characteristic Mac OS X Aqua look. Unfortunately my installers, and most of the other bits and pieces I have produced are written to run in Mac OS X, and will not be recognised by an older Mac system. I imagine this is also the reason why some of the discussions here have not made sense to you, as there's a lot of new stuff in OS X.

Your options are to upgrade to Mac OS X, which *is* the future of Mac systems and is my recommended path if possible, or to manually install the GOTM features in your Civ3.

If you let us know what Mac hardware you are running we can advise you on whether it could run Mac OS X (also known as "Panther" these days). We would at least need to know your Mac's processor type and speed, and your memory and disk capacity.

If OS X is not possible, for technical or financial reasons, then I can explain how to install the files manually. If you have played no GOTMs before then it will be a tedious job, but I have done it before myself and it just needs patience and accuracy and lots of drag and drop action. It's not rocket science. [Edit] To avoid taking this thread right off topic, if we need to do this I would want to move the details into the Mac Tournament forum.

Got it, thanks AlanH. I'm indeed running on 9.2. The computer in question is a G4, and can handle OS X no problem, but it's my work computer, and the boss is too cheap to spring for a new operating system as "the old one's working fine.":rolleyes:
Anyway, I've got a G3 at home running on OS X, so I'll try it there later (and if I have any other problems, I'll post to Mac Tourny as you requested).

Which takes me back on topic: perhaps I'll have to ammend my previous post to include a GOTM or two in 2004!

Thanks AlanH!!!

I may check into some other games, but it likely that I'll stic with GOTM...it's all I really have time for.

Is Conquests really coming out for the mac in 2004? I hadn't heard about it and would be very pleased if it was. I thought it might take longer than that, but was waiting anyways for it. I will skip over PTW since C3C has it included.
EDIT: My signature has PTW because I also have a PC that does have PTW.

How about a top-of-the-line machine this fall with Virtual PC 7.0? That's my plan. I think it will handle Civ III and IV fairly easily. :mutant:

For what that will cost, you can get a PC and still have change!

Originally posted by AlanH
For what that will cost, you can get a PC and still have change!

By the time I'm finished putting the system together, I could get FOUR PCs that would run Civ just fine and still get change. What's your point? ;)

Top Bottom