1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Choicing which nation you become after independence

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - General Discussions' started by kolpo, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Jerrymander

Jerrymander Epistemologist

Yes I Hate The America We Should Not Have The America On Everything.

Frankly, I don't care. It's minor.

2. MrCrawford

MrCrawford Chieftain

I agree with the customization. It just fits with the whole Civilization 4 feel. I mean, if you can customize slavery, separation of church and state, et cetera, why not something cosmetic like flag or name?

If not, maybe something like in Age of Empires 3: The War Chiefs

3. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Chieftain

The US is a minor? Adolescent? Come, come, young sir, you are too strict.

4. Aleenik

Aleenik Chieftain

a modder/scenario maker will likely make a world map..and specific maps for specific places

5. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

That's how it was in the original Colonization, regardless of the colours that flew over your towns after declaring independence. Your free country is named after the name you entered when you first saw land (defaults are: New England, New Spain, New France and New Netherlands).

6. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Chieftain

Not as I recall it. On indeoendence, your country was always called the same thing, no matter what you called your colony when you founded it. The only difference was that the name differed according to which colonizing power you played as: it was always the United States of America for the English, Quebec for the French, Suriname for the Dutch and Mexico (I think) for the Spaniards.

7. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

Hmm. I remember the original colony's name was kept, but I also recall I always customized that name. Perhaps the name changed to those you mentioned if you used the default territory name. Not sure, really.

8. Uncle Anton

Uncle Anton Lighthorseman

That's a big can of worms you're about to open up... :)

Actually, as the Head of State (via the Governor General), the Queen has an awful lot to do with Australian internal affairs... If you're interested enough, look up Gough Whitlam on Wikipedia.. that particular affair caused a constitutional crisis within Australia that is yet to be resolved and has significant political ramifications...

Although you are quite correct really... In practice Australia has been 'independant' for some time. The Monarchy hasn't tried to do anything in reference to Australia arbitrarily since it offered David Ben Gurion a chunk of the Pilbara for the establishment of a modern Israeli state back in the 40's.... having said that, Whitlam/Kerr was just one example of the quirks of a constitutional monarchy.

Enlistment into the ADF is another good example. You swear an Oath (Or Affirmation if not Christian) to the Queen primarily. Loyalty to Australia, it's people and it's allies is in that vow or affirmation extended as a result of the fact that Australians are legally the Queen's subjects, Australia the Queen's territory, and Australia's Allies, the Queen'ss Allies. :)

9. MadmanOfALeader

MadmanOfALeader Chieftain

In the immortal words of Leslie Nielsen, "The idea of having a queen is silly."

That's really ironic considering Nielsen is Canadian, but still.

10. Dark Myrmidon

Dark Myrmidon Chieftain

That won't work... The NA are still under Dutch reign.
    One serious can of worms. I was thinking the Australian situation was comparable to Canada's... It seems a good deal more complex.

My country too is going through a lot of debate with regards to English rule. There's a movement for independence, and one for full internal self government while still linked to England, and a good few who think it's all going a little too fast... A whole other can of worms.

11. Lubricus

Lubricus Explorer

How is Anguilla's economy? Can you actually survive breaking the ties with the UK? I know a few examples of former colonies that have had serious trouble staying afloat after gaining independence, after all. Then again, I guess your main industry is tourism, so you might be able to do OK on your own.

12. Dark Myrmidon

Dark Myrmidon Chieftain

We're in a tourism boom, so things are looking up, but its entirely possible we could spiral out of control, especially seeing as our constitution is outdated and as in most Caribbean islands, corruption is easy to be a part of and hard to get rid of.

Most islands which gained independence following the dissolution of the West Indian federation suffered greatly partly as a result of their unpreparedness, and a lot at the fact they were at the mercy of much more developed economies (see the banana dispute with South American nations...) Haiti's economy was actually purposely destroyed by France as revenge for their declaration of independence. So it's a rough world out there for a new country...

13. Jerrymander

Jerrymander Epistemologist

The deal with the nation you pick is minor. Stop being a troll.

14. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

He misunderstood, and posted that 10 days ago...

15. Lubricus

Lubricus Explorer

It sure is, but Haitis struggle for independence happened a long time ago. And Britain tends to get along well with former colonies, for the most part, so I don't think you should have much to fear. When it comes to structuring the economy to avoid corruption and crime, I'd recommend looking to Aruba, which has a great economy and good transparency. Surely your country is small enough for an effective administration to curb corruption - if it is really interested, of course.

Well, it'll be interesting to see what course your nation will take.

16. Niptium

Niptium Chieftain

Well, case could be defended that Haïti's economy never has been as successfull as when it was under the French... ever. The fact that the slaves, out of control, burned down everything on the island and didn't care to rebuild the country didn't help. It got back on its feet with Toussaint Louverture but that ended when France tried to rest control from Louverture of former Saint-Domingue - Louverture ended up in a French prison. That being said, up to this day, Haïti's story is surely not one of success but I can't think France is responsible for any of this. Nations, like people should assume their own destiny and stop rejecting their flaws and failures on exterior agents.

17. Lubricus

Lubricus Explorer

Well, it didn't help that Haiti had to agree to pay 80 million francs to get France to recognise the poor nation's independence... But you're right, of course. Haiti is still the least developed country in America, and that isn't France's fault.

18. methane

methane Chieftain

This thread is all over the place, and I feel like responding to lots of it...

Well, perhaps for a more historically accurate scenario, you could model the whole area around Australia, with the stronger 'natives' in indonesia. In one game, perhaps the Dutch grab West Australia in addition to Indonesia, the French grab New Zealand, and the English get parts of Papua New Guinea and Eastern Australia. The French then proceed to arm the Aborigines and ally with them and the Dutch to drive the English out of the game.

Well, the fact that Haiti was treated like a pariah for many decades after its independence seriously hurt Haiti's development (no nation wanted to be associated with a slave rebellion). Its current problems have little to do with that, but they also don't have much to do with slaves burning down things in the early 1800s.

---

Now, why don't I add some wacky ideas to other off topic items of conversation in this thread?

If Australians like the monarchy system but don't like it based in London, has anyone thought of asking the younger prince (I'm too lazy to look up his name) to move to Canberra and become your king? His future kids would be Aussies and not Brits.

Of course I realize that wouldn't satisfy the Aussies who don't like the idea of a monarchy in general, but it would end even the appearance of being 'dependant' on Britain. (yeah, at first they'd talk about 'importing a king', but after he lived there a decade or so and had kids born there, it would pass).

One problem with a small independant island is that it naturally becomes dependent on one or two industries. This makes it quite difficult whenever that industry experiences a downturn.

Has there ever been any other option discussed? Has Britain ever considered giving you representation in parliament? Has anyone entertained the idea of affiliating with other English Caribbean islands and becoming a Canadian province or a US state? You wouldn't be 'independent', but you would be equal to other citizens of the UK, Canada, or US.