1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Choose seven alternative leaders you'd most like to see on Civ6

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Xandinho, Aug 2, 2019.

?

Choose seven alternative leaders you'd most like to see on Civ6

1. Abd al-Malik ibn Marwan (Arabia)

6 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. Acamapichtli (Aztec)

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  3. Akbar the Great (India)

19 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Alfred the Great (England)

22 vote(s)
    17.6%
  5. Ashoka (India)

8 vote(s)
    6.4%
  6. Augustus Caesar (Rome)

41 vote(s)
    32.8%
  7. Casimir III the Great (Poland)

12 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Catherine the Great (Russia)

45 vote(s)
    36.0%
  9. Charlemagne (France/Germany)

39 vote(s)
    31.2%
  10. Djoser (Egypt)

11 vote(s)
    8.8%
  11. Eannatum (Sumer)

8 vote(s)
    6.4%
  12. Elizabeth I (England)

26 vote(s)
    20.8%
  13. George Washington (America)

42 vote(s)
    33.6%
  14. Harun al-Rashid (Arabia)

17 vote(s)
    13.6%
  15. Hatshepsut (Egypt)

37 vote(s)
    29.6%
  16. Huayna Capac (Inca)

9 vote(s)
    7.2%
  17. Isabella I of Castile (Spain)

40 vote(s)
    32.0%
  18. Ivan the Terrible (Russia)

32 vote(s)
    25.6%
  19. Kangxi Emperor (China, Qing dynasty)

7 vote(s)
    5.6%
  20. Khosrow I (Persia)

27 vote(s)
    21.6%
  21. Kublai Khan (China/Mongolia, Yuan dynasty)

35 vote(s)
    28.0%
  22. Louis XIV (France)

35 vote(s)
    28.0%
  23. Napoleon Bonaparte (France)

45 vote(s)
    36.0%
  24. Otto von Bismarck (Germany)

50 vote(s)
    40.0%
  25. Ramesses II (Egypt)

42 vote(s)
    33.6%
  26. Sejong the Great (Korea)

17 vote(s)
    13.6%
  27. Tokugawa Ieyasu (Japan)

10 vote(s)
    8.0%
  28. William of Orange (England/Netherlands/Scotland)

29 vote(s)
    23.2%
  29. Wu Zetian (China, Tang dynasty)

28 vote(s)
    22.4%
  30. Yongle Emperor (China, Ming dynasty)

21 vote(s)
    16.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Zaarin

Zaarin Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari

Yeah, by a very generous evaluation (counting the Enlightenment with the Renaissance) the US gets three leaders; more likely, the US gets two. :p

2. Henri Christophe

Henri Christophe King

Maybe Hiawatha can be the American leader before the European arriving ^^
    US-Federation system is inspired by Iroquois federation and was the only North American ally of WASP in colonial ages.

3. Henri Christophe

Henri Christophe King

Just think how exciting it will be a Sumerian civilization beginning with Gilgamesh, and after Hamurabi and have this last leader as Saddam Hussein ^^

4. Zaarin

Considering there is virtually no indigenous influence on US culture (aside from crops like corn and a few loanwords like woodchuck), I think that would be enormously culturally insensitive.

Saddam Hussein persecuted the possible descendants of the Sumerians and the explicit descendants of the Assyrians so... :shifty:

5. Henri Christophe

Henri Christophe King

How not? The Iroquoi's Eagle grabing 13 arrows in USA seal is totally borrowed from Iroquois, George Washigton said he was strongly inspired in the Federation Iroquois when is building the USA. Congress already recognise that.
    And already read somewhere the word Yankee come from the Iroquoise word Yengeese, who refers to all white people around New York, at the time was Dutch (many Johanns).
    I guess all nation in this continent have huge unknown native influence, but as enlightenment at the time was very racist (Social Darwinism) all nations who born after enlightenment build their history around their white heritage only.

6. Zaarin

The word "Yankee" is generally believed to come directly from Dutch, probably from Janke "Little John." Also worth noting that Native Americans were not assimilated into American society nor did white and Native Americans interact much in the post-colonial period. As of the last census, Native Americans accounted for less than 1% of the population. Most Americans (of any race) have never met a Native American. The idea that the Constitution is modeled after the Iroquois is a theory, but one that has not been definitively proven. While it's possible the influence is there, there's nothing in the Constitution that couldn't have come straight from Locke so who knows?

At any rate, given the way that the US has treated the Native Americans, I think it would be extremely inappropriate to portray indigenous cultures as "forerunners" of the US.

7. Henri Christophe

Henri Christophe King

Yes, that is right, but it may be a word used by Iroquois to refer for this Janke/Johann/Little John. In Brazil happens something similar, have many Portugueses called Pedro, so in Tupi language Portuguese is Peró.

I will answer that speaking about other american's countries. Uruguay is also a very white nation and this guy made a cool video trying to argue the Charrua nation isn't exctint, but instead is the Uruguaians the XXI century Charruas.

I also I guess almost all boarders in Americas follows some kind of indigenous heritage, and that is the why have much more countries than european languages spoken here, Canadian-USA border follow more or less the Alonquino-Iroquois division.
    Paraguay try to expand in Brazil because the Guaranies land they believe belong to them.
    Mexico territory was almost the maximun expansion of Toltec civilizations
    Equador, Peru and Bolivia have the indigenous heritage of Quito, Cusco and Aymaras, and as they don't go well together before Spanish arrive, still existing tension before Bolivar liberated then.
    Chile is the unconquer land of Mapuches
    Just Argentinian don't follow that indigenous heritage, and that is the why Argentinians like to say they are from their heritage is the boats arraving in the Silver River.

In Brazil, I was reading between the diference of the indigenous language write down by Anchieta, and now a day's "dialects" lines in Brazilian portuguese is the same "dialects" lines Anchieta writed about the Tupi-Guarani language around 1500.

Even Haiti, who is the leastest indigenous nation of Americas, have Indigenous influence in some Voodoo gods.

I just want to say, I don't like this European understanding of America history as the "New World", we are so old as any other place on the earth.
    In the next mileniun, when France become a black country, that don't will erase Charlemagne heritage of this black french nation.

8. Henri Christophe

Henri Christophe King

About Ethinicity another good example is Egypt, in old old kingdom they are Black. Around Ptolomaic period they are Helenic-Whites.
    But despite the race, they still felling as Egypt, as just one thing.

9. Aurelesk

Aurelesk Prince

Voodoo gods are not amerindians, they are west-africans. Most slaves were taken from the area of the actual Benin. Where I live, there is a huge Haitian populations and some Cuban, Beninese and Togolese physicians and coworkers. There is a lot of similarities on how the "féticheurs" (witch doctor?) practice the ritual.

But I may missed your point. The few amerindians that I know well are either converted or do not care about their culture. Even if I knew more, it is most unlikely that the amerindians that I know here have the same belief than those in Haiti. So I can't say for sure if some culture / beliefs from ameridians changed the practice of voodoo, or adds some gods to it. But I can see here where I live that many haitian are saving money to let their witch doctors to fly to Benin and learn more / gain power.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    TahamiTsunami and Zaarin like this.
  10. Henri Christophe

Henri Christophe King

Take a while but I finally find who is the Taíno Voodon, he can be called Zaka or Azaka. He is portraited as a pos-revolucionary man of the country side, but I read at a book his name was a name of a Taino leader, I just can't find it again on internet. Some times it is really hard to find stuffs about Haiti even after the criation of Internet.

The point is, isn't easy erase the past of our lands, and even the leastest indigenous country of America, Haiti, have some kind of Heritage of the indigenous people somewhere and somehow.

Also, the strongest indigenous heritage in Americas, is Paraguay, and their ethinicity isn't Guarani. Heritage and Ethinicity not always come together.

11. JJOne

JJOne Prince

Make it more modern. Kim Ir Sen, Deng Xiaoping, Mobutu, Thatcher, Reagan, Atatürk, Mubarak.

Henri Christophe likes this.
  12. Henri Christophe

Henri Christophe King

Civ6 have the oldest leaders of all other Civs. The Chinese and Sumerian leaders are too old then are people who believes they are mithological figures.
    Also Germany, the leader was a thousand years older than Germany XD

13. Zaarin

In a game with five civilizations under the age of 300 and only two Ancient Era leaders, I certainly wouldn't say Civ6 has any bias towards the Ancient or Classical. If anything, Civ6 has the most Modern bias of any of the Civilization games.

14. Sirsquier

Sirsquier Warlord

U.S.A. land of the free and home of the brave
    I really wish that civ 6 had more from classical and medieval time periods. They housed so many different cultures and leaders. Also I love the periods so yeah I would love more leaders and civs from them.

altayrneto and Xandinho like this.
  15. Henri Christophe

Henri Christophe King

Maybe not soo ancient thinking in all humankind life on earth, but most of the Civ Leaders are the oldest avaiable option as leader for each Civ-Nation.
    Many of the Nation-Civs can easily a more recent Civ

16. Zaarin

All I can say to that is God forbid. We have too many nation-states in the game as it is.