• Isabella I of Castile (Spain)

Votes: 40 31.7%
  • Ivan the Terrible (Russia)

Votes: 32 25.4%
  • Kangxi Emperor (China, Qing dynasty)

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Khosrow I (Persia)

Votes: 28 22.2%
  • Kublai Khan (China/Mongolia, Yuan dynasty)

Votes: 35 27.8%
  • Louis XIV (France)

Votes: 35 27.8%
  • Napoleon Bonaparte (France)

Votes: 46 36.5%
  • Otto von Bismarck (Germany)

Votes: 50 39.7%
  • Ramesses II (Egypt)

Votes: 43 34.1%
  • Sejong the Great (Korea)

Votes: 17 13.5%
  • Tokugawa Ieyasu (Japan)

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • William of Orange (England/Netherlands/Scotland)

Votes: 29 23.0%
  • Wu Zetian (China, Tang dynasty)

Votes: 28 22.2%
  • Yongle Emperor (China, Ming dynasty)

Votes: 21 16.7%

• Total voters
I think Lincoln is a definite possibility. He’s iconic. If they want to do someone new that has never been done, I think Thomas Jefferson is likely.

Why Jefferson Davis who never actually led the U.S. but the Confederate states, which in itself is considered controversial?
Isn't that good to have a Confederate States of America as another 'American' civ? Even if Civ Emblem is still USA Kiteshield.
There was a Civ5 mod that included him AFAIK. Why you see wrongs in it? I think of him and Lincoln as Queen Gorgo and Archon Pericles. Both are Greek leaders.

Isn't that good to have a Confederate States of America as another 'American' civ? Even if Civ Emblem is still USA Kiteshield.
There was a Civ5 mod that included him AFAIK. Why you see wrongs in it? I think of him and Lincoln as Queen Gorgo and Archon Pericles. Both are Greek leaders.

The difference, of course, being that the Confederacy was a short-lived rebel state during a civil war.

^ But they did much during a four year of its existence. They did have their 'Virginian' cultures that went well with Founding Fathers Civ ability. They even develpoed the use of unique light infantry that used unique weapons. The Whitworth Sharpshooters :p Do you think Davis should exists only in scenarios?

I think Lincoln is a definite possibility. He’s iconic. If they want to do someone new that has never been done, I think Thomas Jefferson is likely.
I agree. Give him a Louisiana Purchase bonus that helps out Recon units and purchase tiles quicker.

The very fact that they broke away from "America" is why I don't think Jefferson Davis should be an alt leader for them. Gorgo and Pericles themselves were rulers of their respective Greek polis at least.
As for Mods there are also those that feature Hitler, interesting historical leaders/Civs that won't appear officially. That Civ 5 mod I believe had the Confederate states as a different Civ at least.

The civs that get 2nd leaders should be ones that are not adequately represented by one leader alone. Generally speaking, those will be the bigger name civs, most likely civs from vanilla.

Egypt, China, Russia, Japan and Rome are all good contenders.

America is as well, not because they necessarily need a second leader, but because of the game’s main audience. Heck, they were one of very few civs with three leaders in Civ4.

If I had to choose just a few, I would do the following:

China/Mongolia: Kublai Khan, just an obvious choice.
Egypt: A much earlier Pharaoh. Ramses is overdone. Khufu, maybe? Akhenaten as a (very) wild card.
Russia: Ivan the Terrible. Switch out progressive (Peter) for repressive.
Japan: Minamoto Yoritomo. A bit more isolationist, stand-offish and militant than Hojo. Also a Shinto-preferring leader.
Rome: Either a republic leader like Cicero, a “good” emperor like Marcus Aurelius, or a catastrophically bad one like Nero. (Big personalities, etc.)
America: Jefferson, as was discussed above. Maybe Lincoln if they want to play it safe.

The civs that get 2nd leaders should be ones that are not adequately represented by one leader alone. Generally speaking, those will be the bigger name civs, most likely civs from vanilla.

Egypt, China, Russia, Japan and Rome are all good contenders.

America is as well, not because they necessarily need a second leader, but because of the game’s main audience. Heck, they were one of very few civs with three leaders in Civ4.

If I had to choose just a few, I would do the following:

China/Mongolia: Kublai Khan, just an obvious choice.
Egypt: A much earlier Pharaoh. Ramses is overdone. Khufu, maybe? Akhenaten as a (very) wild card.
Russia: Ivan the Terrible. Switch out progressive (Peter) for repressive.
Japan: Minamoto Yoritomo. A bit more isolationist, stand-offish and militant than Hojo. Also a Shinto-preferring leader.
Rome: Either a republic leader like Cicero, a “good” emperor like Marcus Aurelius, or a catastrophically bad one like Nero. (Big personalities, etc.)
America: Jefferson, as was discussed above. Maybe Lincoln if they want to play it safe.

If Ivan is to be Russian alt. leader then give him Streltsy too! (Gunpowder unit, they could be either musketmen or pike & shot)
Jap alternate leader should be Ito Hirobumi (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itō_Hirobumi)
- Personal Ability: The Last Samurai (Free Unit Upgrades for first three units once Japan progressed to Industrial and Modern, progressive leader who fits very well with Meiji Restoration. (Because he's active throughout tenure of Meiji Era, also learns one (1) free tech and civic in both era if Japan advanced late, one-third unit upgrade costs calculated from base unit cost)
- Preferred Religion: Shinto
- Personal UU: Mikasa (Industrial Era unit that came with Steam Power, belongs in the same class as Frigate (And thus it came between Frigate and Battleship))

I concur, Ivan absolutely needs to have the strelets as his unique unit.

Akbar - more great Islamic rulers is always good, more attention to India is always good, and more attention to Mughals is always good.

Charlemagne - if Eleanor of Aquitaine may be shared between England and France then hell if the Father of Europe can't be shared between France and Germany. This is actually the best way to introduce him to game, seeing how few people are enthusiastic about spearste HRE/Frankish/Carolingian civ.

Djoser/Hatshepsut - so we get proper, ancient pharaoh. I prefer them over Ramesses because he is so extremely tired and cliche archetypical pharaoh.

Khosrow - please civ series and western popculture, acknowledge existence of post-Achaemenid Iranian Civilization...

Louis XIV - a personification of France, 17th century, baroque, monarchy and the concept of Golden Age vs Catherine di Medici. And Napoleon was in civ5.

William of Orange - I'm sorry, Wilhelmina just feels 'off' as a Dutch leader (not helped by Pixar movie design). Besides her ability is worst on the game anyway.

Yongle Emperor - it's great civ that you no longer field monumental idiot and killer Mao as the only leader of 3000 year old civ, now could we please stop endlessly circulating between Wy Zetian and Shi Huangdi?

I Always supported Charlemagne. and if he leads France, the capitol will always be Aachen instead of Paris.
And I never feel right about Willemina being The Netherlands leader. Either William the Silent or Maurice de Nassau.
Louis XIV: A military freek who Napoleon Bonaparte leaned much from him.
- Personal Ability: The Sun King (France that supports big army), Personal unit "Musketeer" (Firaxis prefers them to be Infantry, in truth they're a different brand of Dragoons)
- Agenda: Spanish Succession Wars (This one appears to need RF concepts of Dark Ages to go well. This one permits player to do more damage to any neighbours who fell to Dark Ages, either by invading them, or stronger loyalty pressures than usual. Unlocks 'Succession Wars' casus beli (less Warmongering penalty, about the same as Golden Age and requires no denounciations since he already claimed that the neighbour throne belongs to him or his cronies). This affects his personality to be Warmonger
- And he doesn't like others to build wonders too!

Last edited:
Yongle Emperor - it's great civ that you no longer field monumental idiot and killer Mao as the only leader of 3000 year old civ, now could we please stop endlessly circulating between Wy Zetian and Shi Huangdi?
I don't mind Wu being a regular of the "appear in one game, sit aside for a newcomer in the next" variety. Being the only woman to ever lead China as well as her own accomplishments gives her a certain level of distinction. Agreed that Qin Shi Huang does not need to be a regular, however, and Mao just needs to never show up again please and thank you.

Louis XIV: A military freek who Napoleon Bonaparte leaned much from him.
Personally if you want a militaristic leader of France, go with Philippe Auguste. Louis XIV's military campaigns were expensive and not terribly successful. His abilities should focus on his image as the very embodiment of decadence and/or his patronage of the arts.

That his abilities and agenda were stolen by CdM. :(
He had ladies in waiting? :p
He could get his own Musketeer unit that could give the same ability as Catherine's ladies, but I'd still prefer Louis XIV over anyone else.

Louis XIV alternate leader for France with his leader ability adding second unique unit, Musketeer, and new Governor, Cardinal Richeleiu. Like Ottomans but even cooler.
He would have Cardinal Mazarin, Richelieu's successor, but still cool nonetheless.

He had ladies in waiting? :p
No, but he had spies. :p Now on the topic of ladies in waiting, I would have liked to have seen Wu Zetian in the Black Queen role and Louis XIV in the corpulent wonder-hoarder role... :p

No, but he had spies. :p Now on the topic of ladies in waiting, I would have liked to have seen Wu Zetian in the Black Queen role and Louis XIV in the corpulent wonder-hoarder role... :p
I'm fine with Qin being in a game being a wonder builder. Elizabeth would have been great for the spies and Louis XIV as a culture/loyalty and amenities leader.

I'm fine with Qin being in a game being a wonder builder.
Yes, it fits him. I'm positing an alternate vanilla leader roster in which neither Qin nor CdM is in the game and France and China swap roles: Wu Zetian taking CdM's persona and abilities and Louis XIV taking Qin's.

Elizabeth would have been great for the spies
TBH I want my cultural renaissance Lizzy who throws tantrums and shoes. :p

Louis XIV as a culture/loyalty and amenities leader.
Yeah, assuming we got both Lizzy and Le Roi Soleil, I'd differentiate them by giving Lizzy super Great Writer points and bonus amenities and/or influence from Great Works of Writing, while giving Louis XIV Musketeers and bonus Great Artist points from luxuries adjacent to Châteaux. I'd really love to give him a d'Artagnan unique Great General, but... :p I wouldn't really go for loyalty or amenities for Louis XIV because, while no one rebelled, Louis XIV had enemies to spare. Louis kind of kept the amenities to himself and his pet favorites. :p

Great artist bonus for France should really go to a Belle Epoque leader.....

Top Bottom