Choosing civilizations..

reddishrecue

Some dude on civfans
There are so many civilizations and choosing one can be a challenge. What civilization do you usually like to choose and why? When choosing civilizations, what comes up in your mind and what makes you choose a certain civilization? Another thing that pops up is that all civilizations have the possibility of becoming Augustus Caesar in ranking. Does that mean that all leaders want to be like Augustus Caesar who by the way is already a leader in civilization? Imagine getting Augustus Caesar and being himself/Augustus Caesar..

I tried many civs and so far my favorite are Venice, Arabia and Germany. All of these have been fun to play with. First two are the best

I enjoy playing as science civs however I do not have GaK so it rules out Korea. My favourite civilisation is Babylon as their great scientist boost works fenomenally well in getting you ahead in science. My second favourite civilisation is Poland as they get a free social policy every time you advance into a new era. Although this social policy isn't intentionally scientific it can boost you in whatever you want if you think about it. You could do exploration to benefit you, aesthetics etc. Obviously because I play a science game I use this to get rationalism as soon as I begin the rennisance era (sorry for the appalling spelling)

Hope this helped

Spain, go on a NW hunt
Poland, the only civ that can be guaranteed to open Rationalism the turn you enter the Renaissance era.
Polynesia, embark over ocean from turn 0 is very handy. Also their Moai means you never need build a cultural wonder or building and still win a CV on the right map.
The Huns, go on an early rampage and learn the finesses of melee city capture.

Trade focused and religion focused civs are the most fun for me.

I like Byzantium, Arabia, and Maya a lot.

I enjoy Egypt, not so much for their wonderbuilding as for their AMAZING UB that creates great synergy with belief bonuses.

Indonesia is a flavorful civ for many reasons. They are excellent merchants but they also have a fairly unique religious aspect to them with the Candi. Adopting other civ's relgions rather than trying to leverage your own can actually be a good idea, in some cases.

Persia is the one CIV I haven't played much but would like to learn. I really like the idea of a Civ that does things with happiness.

Venice is my favorite civ, usually because I like to have very small empires. I also like Ethiopia, Spain, Carthage, and England.

I'm currently playing the civs one by one in BNW in which the last time I played them was either G&K or back in Vanilla since I've already played as all the new BNW civs.

The past few have been DLC civs.

I enjoy playing as naval civs quite a bit. Carthage has to be my favorite, mostly because of the free harbors allowing you to connect cities without roads for free immediately upon researching the Wheel. I also like Korea and England.

Aztecs are one of my constant favorites, with Germany and Spain high on the list. I like to mix it up with opportunistic warfare sometimes, so purely peaceful civs aren't usually that interesting to me.

If I do want a peaceful game I'll pick Venice for the challenge, or sometimes I'll pick one of Korea/Babylon/Mayans/Poland for an easy game.

I played them straight through as each expansion was released. Now it is just the flavor of the moment that inspires my choice. I think of the type of game and victory style I want to play and then grab a Civ that goes good with what I want to do.

I like to mix it up. Keep using different styles. A strategy game is as fun as the amount of options it allows the player.

Some of the most fun I've had were with the Aztecs, Netherlands, Rome, Portugal and Denmark:
Aztecs have a fun source of Culture. Netherlands completely change how you view diplomacy, trading and gold income. Rome is the best at playing wide. Denmark allows for Blitzkriegs. Portugal is just the best to maintain a large, naval empire.

And there's plenty I haven't used yet. Venice and Polynesia look really fun.

Spain: it's hilarious to find out how crazy NW is when its yield is doubled. Fountain of youth 20 happiness, mt. Sinai with NW pantheom 24 faith. Plus I could go for an insane religious game if I got a faith NW, 24 faith in one tile? literary Holy S**t.

Im having some issues finding out which civilization to choose because they all come from different unique backgrounds with different unique buildings, units and attributes. I get the feeling that I'm neutral with most civilizations..

England - Show your enemies some Longbow lovin'! That, in combination with plus two movement for naval units is a winning combo.

Shoshone - I learned to appreciate 'Great Expanse' quickly. Also, the pathfinders are a nice early game boost.

Rome - Leader bonus is probably the best. With their two unique units in the classical era, they can easily dominate at this time.
France - Probably the best civ to get a Cultural victory with, plus musketeer is the most powerful renaissance unit.
England - extra sea movement is very handy. extra spy is also really good. Longbowman is awesome cause its range bonus stays when it upgrades.
Austria - Diplomatic marriage is super awesome, especially since you get the city state's units, and the city is at full population (whereas if you attacked it, it loses half)
Japan - Exremely good at fighting because of leader ability. Unique units also give you a big edge. Culture from fishing boats can really add up.

Assyria: Even though they seem perfect for warmongering they set an amazing tempo for the first half of the game. I've won culture victories with this guy easy. It comes down to neighbors who build a few wonders. Take their city, reap the fruits of their labor and then play as you wish. Beware of snowballs as always.

Aztecs: Again a civ that can win any victory condition with a bit of luck (Lake map = win). The Ottomans are also very similar in gameplay but their starting locations have always been crummy for me. But Janissary is beastly and when they come online the Ottoman empire becomes difficult to repel.

Babylon: Great tech slingshot civ and great for new players. If you start by mountains or can settle near them you can stay relatively small and just play passively, maybe City-State/Diplo after you are built up tall/ That's not generally my playstyle though but for a quick game they're great.

The Inca: The game LOVES the Inca and will, without fail, give them a great starting location as well as perfect locations for every city you wish to settle. They can turn crap starts into godly starts.

Songhai: I cannot explain why I do well with these guys, but most all games I've played have been great. They're my multiplayer go-to civ.

The two civs I wish I could make work well are Rome with Liberty Opener (I swear I cannot wrap my head around a Liberty opener; it doesn't seem to work even with the one civ that it absolutely should work well with!) and the Celts. Netherlands are also a bit dinky but I mostly play fractal or oval maps and that's not quite Netherland's forte

Ive been wanting to tryout so many civs but the opportunity seems to be so limited.. For example, ranking up early mayan atlalists and having the range promotions by the time composites are available or using august and ranking up ballistas as another example in the honor social policy alone.. Then there are other social policies to try out with other civilizations as well.. I mean some things are totally possible to do but aren't done or dont need to be done..

The two civs I wish I could make work well are Rome with Liberty Opener (I swear I cannot wrap my head around a Liberty opener; it doesn't seem to work even with the one civ that it absolutely should work well with!) and the Celts.

Liberty isn't as inferior to tradition as it seems. It has policies that provide improve stability, and IMO is almost in every way superior then tradition accept for one aspect, happiness. Although liberty is great, I would advise picking up the pyramids so you can try and stay on top of the happiness issue you'll have.

Top Bottom