Chop down all the forests!

Can anyone see a reason not to chop down the forests? I can't.

Because it takes ten turns. And in the beggining of the game before immunity if there is miasma because you have to stop to heal.

But in terms of should you ever keep them? No, they may as well be chopped eventually, as they have no benefit.

I was thinking that yesterday as well. In CiV I tend to keep them for the lumbermills. I don't think there is a reason to keep them in BE. Maybe they should make forests useful for keeping miasma in check? That without forests miasma pops up way more?

An elegant working environment with real lumber desks and polished wooden door plates for the executives of the construction company help with motivation.

I was walking outside yesterday and was imagining myself tearing down all the forests for economic benefits.

Why can't real life be more like civ?

Imagine a world where it's customary to gift a blade or rifle on turning 15 so you can fend for yourself against barbarians and aliens in the wild!

Certain improvements can stack with forests by the way, like xenomass wells.

The Xenomass Well may be able to coexist with forests, but Xenomass itself will never spawn on a forest, so you'll never get to build a Xenomass Well on a forest.

EDIT: In keeping with the spirit of this thread. Here are the resources that are allowed to coexist with a forest in the same tile: Firaxite, Resilin, Chitin, Fruit, Tubers, Derelict Settlement, Crashed Satellite, Alien Skeleton, Quest related special resources.

The Xenomass Well may be able to coexist with forests, but Xenomass itself will never spawn on a forest, so you'll never get to build a Xenomass Well on a forest.

EDIT: In keeping with the spirit of this thread. Here are the resources that are allowed to coexist with a forest in the same tile: Firaxite, Resilin, Chitin, Fruit, Tubers, Derelict Settlement, Crashed Satellite, Alien Skeleton, Quest related special resources.

But xenomass does spawn in a forest.

Attachments

• beyond earth2.jpg
    beyond earth2.jpg
    424.3 KB · Views: 433
That's odd. Is it a special map script or the default maps?

In the game XML files defining resources, under Resource_FeatureBooleans section, it shows that Xenomass cannot coexist with forests.

Can anyone see a reason not to chop down the forests? I can't.

Economically? Not much.

Strategically? They make wonderful defensive positions and choke points within your territory. Units spend more MPs entering them. I prefer to keep them until later in the game for that reason alone ;)

A forest on tundra can be quite worthwhile in the very early game if all your other tiles are tundra too and there's no production at your starting location. You basically get 1 production for FREE on a tile that would need to be farmed or generator...ed. This is a very likely scenario, don't tell me otherwise.

Top Bottom