1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Chopin Recommendations

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by cybrxkhan, Jun 5, 2014.

1. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

All of the artsy fartsy threads seem to be about literature or movies, so here's something different.

I've been listening to some Chopin again for a bit, and I ask - which pianist(s) do you think plays Chopin the best? Any recommendations? I prefer emotion over technicality, if that makes any sense.

Chopin is so sensitive, I want to cry. Seriously though I've forgotten that he is probably my favorite 19th century composer; he pieces were my favorite ones to play back when I studied piano.

2. de Maistre

de Maistre Comte

3. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I have a friend who is a professional pianist (I'm not sure if that's his actual title, but he took music at the school I work at and then 5 years ago or so moved to the Netherlands to continue his studies. Now he plays piano at various events throughout Europe)

So he's probably not the best by any shot, and I can't tell how good he is (not my field), but I thought I'd share anyway.

Link to video.

4. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

5. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

This is one of my favourite things on youtube:

I also enjoy listening to Martha Argerich. I don't really know enough about pianists as opposed to composers to know if my opinion is really all that accurate, but I guess though a lot of people might find her playing a bit too rigid or strong for Chopin, I love the way she can get warmth out of the notes by playing into them.

If you want to compare her with Rafal Blechacz from in the spoilers above, here (she comes in around 4:00):
    Spoiler :

She pretty clearly has quite a different interpretation. A lot more rubato, and you can definitely tell that she's playing into the keys a lot more than Blechacz, whose notes can sometimes be a little percussive instead. But it may not exactly fit the criteria in the OP.

And of course, Rubinstein is always good.

6. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

Martha Argerich is one of the greatest pianists.

Not Chopin, but this is just amazing skill.

Link to video.

7. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

8. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Thanks folks for the recommendations and links!

When I took piano my teacher generally recommended Rubinstein's recordings for me, though perhaps moreso because Rubinstein is one of the most well-known players.

My general preference for Chopin is a light, delicate, and very restrained touch, now that I think about it. I enjoyed playing Chopin that way.