Chris's Rome Remix

Nintendohomie

Chieftain
CHRIS' S ROME REMIX VERSION .1.4. ! EVEN THOUGH I PREVIOUSLY CLAIMED TO HAVE RELEASED THE FINAL VERSION, I COULDNT RESIST THE TEMPTATION TO TWEAK AND IT TURNED INTO A PRETTY SIGNIFINATNT OVERHAUL.
!
DOWNLOAD NEW FILES AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST !

Playable Civilizations:
Rome - Much like our own world, Rome's prophetic rise was never a forgone conclusion, least of all to her ambitious and powerful neighbors. As such, while starting from a position of relative strength, enemies surround on all borders and failure to act fast could see any possible forward momentum made extremely difficult. The Greek city of Taras in the south has recently called to it's aid a certain adventuring general from Epirus. The key to Greece lies in first subduing Magna Grecia.
Carthage - The proud ancestors of Phoenician colonists from Tyre, In many ways Carthage was far more prosperous and powerful than Phoenicia ever was. By the time of the Roman republic, Carthage was the center of trade in the western Mediterranean and fielded large armies. Carthage's greatest asset though, was unquestionably her navy, which ruled the western Mediterranean seas. It would be wise to rapidly subdue the independent Sicilian Greeks to strengthen the strategic position for a date with history which will more likely than not prove inevitable.
Ptolemaic Egypt - Ptolemy's progeny patiently posses the Pharaohs' former fiefdom. Years of Conflict with the Seleucid Empire have spent the lives of the Eastern Greek world's finest soldiers and drained the coffers of both realms. Still, Egypt is a land of almost inconceivable wealth and agricultural prosperity. Success must lie in securing the northern frontier and projecting power by Capturing smaller Greek powers such as Rhodes.
Seleucid Empire - The descendants of Seleucus Nicator rule from the city of Antioch. Take advantage of your army, as the Seleucid Empire is one of the few civs to get one. Destroy Persia so your Greek enemies can be taken to task without risking a war on two fronts. Egypt is your erstwhile greatest enemy and the peace that stands now is tentative at best.
Epirus - As stated in the 'Rome' description, The Tarantines have called over General Pyrrhus, and he did not cross the Ionian alone, famously bringing with him mighty elephants, a sight which initially shocked the romans and proved critical in several key victories for Pyrrhus in our own history. Epirus is the smallest civ to receive an army, and that army will be crucial to any goal. Thassalocratic power will also be a key strategy for success.
Antigonid Macedon - The homeland of Alexander the Great has become eclipsed in power by the fragmented successors of the empire he left behind, but this can change. Before war can be waged against "big Yellow" and "Big Blue" , the independent and quarrelsome cities of southern Greece must be brought back under Macedonian rulership.
Pergamon- This wealthy kingdom stands proudly between two mighty realms, wary of both but also profiting from it's central position. Beware of your seleucid and Ptolemaic neighbors, they can turn on you in a heartbeat if they sense any weakness
Syracuse- Once described as "the greatest of all the Greek cities" , This nation has the chance to establish dominance over the island of Sicily and become a true thassalocratic power. Powerful Hoplites and heavy cavalry can be used to blitzkrieg your Carthaginian nemesis.
Samnium- Isolated and surrounded, the path to victory will not be an easy one. Rome's unquestioned dominance over Italy is not yet a given, so use that to your advantage and try to form an alliance with Epirus or take advantage of an Epirus weakened by war with Rome. Even though Samnium is a genuine challenge they can be fun and rewarding.
Rhodes- Commercial Hub of the Eastern Mediterranean, home to the awesome ' Colossus '
of Rhodes. Like Athens and Syracuse, but even more so then those two, naval power will be the key to projecting any land power. Rhodes has a good starting location and can take advantage of the Hellenistic powers weakness in the smaller holdings around the Ionian and the eastern seas.
Parthians- Will do well the act quickly against the Seleucids. No reason to waste time here. Eventually this Persian dynasty will reclaim Persia and come to war centuries later with the roman empire. While that is a long ways off, it might not take a skillful player centuries in-game to wrest away cities from the eastern Greeks or the Armenians.
Celts- From the plains and shores of northern Gaul to the Po valley, Powerful and war-like tribes of Gauls stand ready to push back against Rome or anybody else. While the Gauls might seem like an easy target, any Roman player should be advised war with the Celts will not be a walk in the park by any means. Don't throw away your army and use it wisely, as it will be a key advantage in taking on romans potentially far from home
Sparta- The ancient city of Sparta is a city with an extremely proud and renown martial tradition. But it's best days are behind it and the tides of time have seen the old city states of southern Greece lose their prominent position. The oath to success here lies in subduing your small Greek neighbors first and foremost. Once Greece is secured the Hellenistic powers should by this time be weakened by wars with other states.
Western Greeks- The colonies of Massalia and Narboensis are coming under the influence of Rome, but for now they remain independent. Your main concern at present is the overwhelming power of the Gauls close by .
Achaean League- Much like Sparta and Athens, as well as the Aetolians, the game for Corinth will require shrewd operating to quickly eliminate one or two smaller Greek rivals, becoming less of an easy target for gang-ups and/or your bigger neighbors. All the Greek cities are relatively similar and the difference of a human player will possibly be the only factor elevating one over another.
Athens- Represented more by a mustard color which this text doesn't offer... similar in play to the other Greek cities but it's central position in the Ionian can be used as advantage by a player who invests heavily in naval resources.
Aetolian League- Closing out the playable civs is the last of the minor Greek states, maybe I shouldn't have bothered to keep them all playable but it could interesting to play them all and see which one has a better starting position. Personally I believe Syracuse has the best of all the smaller Greek civs just because it has easy access to securing Sicily which is easily
defensible. But I will let you make your own determination

Heres a few screenshots from the game :

Certain civs do receive armies at the start to reflect powerful historical forces of the period, Epirus being one. Others include all three Successor Kingdoms and Carthage.
Rise of Rome remix snip epirus.png

A snippet of the mini map, showing the main theatre. Notice how different it is from vanilla ! now isnt that colorful.
Med Map snip.PNG

Army values have been changed to one so that the AI will actually be able to use them properly :) that is unless it decides to put a warrior in one, then I cant help ya !
rome snip.PNG

This scenario will require you to extract the folder to your rise of Rome folder in your main /conquests directory. This will require you to accept yes to all changes and overwrite your original folder. this doesn't affect you being able to play the original vanilla scenario but you should be advised to make a backup of the original folder just in case you're bothered by the changes. Just extract the biq to your main /scenarios directory with all your other scenarios and it should work like a charm ! No-Raze patch is strongly recommended but by no means necessary.

Attachments

• Chris's Rome Remix (1).zip
    5.5 MB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Simply place this Rise of Rome folder in your Conquests/Conquests and hit yes to all. Then place the Biq in your Conquests/Scenarios!
Mod-folders would also usually be installed in ../Conquests/Scenarios/, rather than ../Conquests/Conquests/, and the installation instructions clearly imply that installing this mod will require over-writing some (most? all?) of the Firaxis "Rise of Rome" files.

But regardless of anyone's negative opinion about the historicity/authenticity of the Firaxis RoR Conquest, after >15 years of playtesting, Civ3 players can nonetheless be reasonably sure that it works as advertised, which — with all due respect to @Nintendohomie and the work done here — is rarely true of any newly released user-made mods.

So while I would be interested in trying this mod, before installing it, I will first backup and rename my existing Firaxis ../Conquests/Conquests/Rise of Rome/ folder — and I would strongly advise all potential downloaders to do the same. That way, if something gets broken unexpectedly, it won't be necessary to reinstall the entire game to fix the problem — just delete the modded RoR-remix folder, and restore the original from the backup.

Alternatively, first copying the entire Firaxis ../Rise of Rome/ folder into ../Conquests/Scenarios/, then installing this mod into the latter location should also work, i.e. over-writing those copied files, but without any risk of affecting the original.

Mod-folders would also usually be installed in ../Conquests/Scenarios/, rather than ../Conquests/Conquests/, and the installation instructions clearly imply that installing this mod will require over-writing some (most? all?) of the Firaxis "Rise of Rome" files.

But regardless of anyone's negative opinion about the historicity/authenticity of the Firaxis RoR Conquest, after >15 years of playtesting, Civ3 players can nonetheless be reasonably sure that it works as advertised, which — with all due respect to @Nintendohomie and the work done here — is rarely true of any newly released user-made mods.

So while I would be interested in trying this mod, before installing it, I will first backup and rename my existing Firaxis ../Conquests/Conquests/Rise of Rome/ folder — and I would strongly advise all potential downloaders to do the same. That way, if something gets broken unexpectedly, it won't be necessary to reinstall the entire game to fix the problem — just delete the modded RoR-remix folder, and restore the original from the backup.

Alternatively, first copying the entire Firaxis ../Rise of Rome/ folder into ../Conquests/Scenarios/, then installing this mod into the latter location should also work, i.e. over-writing those copied files, but without any risk of affecting the original.

This is intended to replace the Vanilla scenario and as such I didnt take making a backup into account, but I appreciate your concern! I have tested all playabale civs for 100+ turns and everything should be working !

This is intended to replace the Vanilla scenario and as such I didnt take making a backup into account, but I appreciate your concern! I have tested all playabale civs for 100+ turns and everything should be working !
I believe you, but as someone once said, "there's many a slip 'twixt cup and lip"

So I've put my money where my mouth is, downloaded and installed this in ../Conquests/Conquests/ as instructed (but only after making the backup!). I'll let you know how I get on...

Hi there I was wondering if any one could provide some insight on why this scenario wont work? I downloaded the files as hosted above but I get the message of "Scenarios\.\conquests\rise of rome\text\Pedialcons.txt" ANIMNAME_PRTO_Conquistador

Was there another file I was supposed to download for this? I tried this in both the conquests and scenario folders as well

Hi there I was wondering if any one could provide some insight on why this scenario wont work? I downloaded the files as hosted above but I get the message of "Scenarios\.\conquests\rise of rome\text\Pedialcons.txt" ANIMNAME_PRTO_Conquistador

Was there another file I was supposed to download for this? I tried this in both the conquests and scenario folders as well
ya buddy so when you download the zip at the top of the page you have to place the biq and the floder into different extraction locations. check my earlier post in the thread and ejoy my friend :) Im working on a middle ages remix so I hope people will enjoy my scenario

Thanks for that. I've tried reinstalling and I keep getting the same error messages which is weird bc I went to the Pedialcons txt area and searched for the missing unit and it was there. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for that. I've tried reinstalling and I keep getting the same error messages which is weird bc I went to the Pedialcons txt area and searched for the missing unit and it was there. Has anyone else experienced this?
Hey brother for what it's worth, if you follow the instructions at the top of the thread i Have TOTALLY changed this thing up and imporved it in many ways id be hinored if youd give me anther shot

Hey man just redownloaded it and looks fantastic! Will give it a go when I get some time

This is pretty great adding more Civs! Definitely downloading. You should fix the Napoleon Scenario too as that one needs more Civs too.

What’s the best strategy here? Right from the beginning Samnium and Epirus are coming after me from two sides and they have a lot of powerful units! That plus the war with Carthage overloaded me dearly in the south. Should I bring the northern troops to the south to complete the conquest of the boot first? That would just delay the fight with and then stronger I think?

What’s the best strategy here? Right from the beginning Samnium and Epirus are coming after me from two sides and they have a lot of powerful units! That plus the war with Carthage overloaded me dearly in the south. Should I bring the northern troops to the south to complete the conquest of the boot first? That would just delay the fight with and then stronger I think?

I think youre on the right track ! bringing that second army down right at the onset should allow you to take care of the Samnites and Phyrrhus. IMO doesnt make sense to try and tackle the gauls until your southern frontier is at least a little more secure

We’ll then, let us begin… this is Monarch level as I’m heading into the unknown.

Current Military Force:
7 Spearmen
5 Catapults
5 Galley
2 Army
25 Legionary I (LGI)

350 BC - northern troops are sent to the south, begin building Barracks in every town. Legionary I is killed in Messina by Carthage War Elephant (WE)

345 BC - Carthage WE is killed outside Messina, our Golden Age has begun!

330 BC - Celts sign alliance with Carthage and declare war on us. Now gotta send some units back up north! I can’t sign Alliances yet. Is this a feature or a bug?

325 BC - New units are coming on, so I’m sending those up north to Pisae to defend against the Celts until the south is secured.
The northern troops have arrived to Neoplis and it’s time to go cross in Epirus territory! They refuse our demands for Taras and Kroton, so we’ll the we shall take what we want!
17 LGI and 4 Catapults arrive to the city walls of Taras.

-Syracuse, Sparta, Pontics, Pergamum all declare war on me through alliances they signed. Why can’t I sign alliances?!?
3 Heavy Cavalry (HC) from Syracuse are killed while we lost 2 LGI in attack on Messina. The Carthaginians have been absent in attacking Messina, but now I fear it’s going to get tough with Syracuse sending a bunch of units. 6 War Elephants from Epirus arrive at the gates of Arpi.

320 BC - 3 more Syracuse Heavy Cavalry are killed outside Messina. Sending Catapults to Pisae to defend against the soon to be coming Celts! Kill 5 Epirus War Elephants in Arpi and 3 enemy defenders in the Battle for Taras, while only losing 1 Legionary. The city is ours, Kroton is next! :goodjob:

-Western Greeks, Illyria, Armenia, Scythians all declare war on me!

315 BC - 2 more Syracuse Heavy Cavalry are killed outside Messina, 4 of them landed by sea. 8 Legionary I are sent south to advance on Kroton.

-Aetolian, Dacia, Athenians all declare war on us. Not sure who hasn’t declared war on me at this point.
2 Remaining Syracuse Heavy Calvary units are killed attacking Messina, but 7 War Elephants from Carthage land from the sea, including 2 Army units!
Note there also appears to be others wars going on that don’t involve us at this point. In particular the Dacians and Scythians against others.
8 Epirus War Elephants land outside of Taras! I really thought I’d already defeated most of their forces.

Current Military Force:
7 Spearmen
7 Garrison
9 Catapults
5 Galley
2 Army
14 Legionary I (LGI)
15 Legionary II (LGII)

310 BC - The 8 Legionary I units are returned to Taras! The attack on Kroton will have to wait. Been upgrading units to LGII everywhere I can. In Messina all units are ordered to fortify, but the Legionary I units there are badly injured from fighting the Syracuse HC, we’ll need a miracle here!

-Samnites have declared war! These I will have to pay attention too.
Huge losses in Taras as 5 Legionary I are lost while only killing 1 War Elephant. :eek: I wasn’t able to upgrade these units in time and they have paid the price. :(
In even more devastating news, the defenders in Messina were completely overrun by the Carthaginians, 3 War Elephants were killed, but all defenders were lost in the fight 3 Legionary, 1 Garrison, 1 Spearman and 1 Catapult. Goodbye Sicily! :( Maybe I’ll return one day! :shifty:

305 BC I switch out the Legionary I and II from Taras to Neopolis to upgrade the remaining I that I have. Should have done that before heading to Kroton, what a military blunder!!!! :blush:
All 7 War Elephants from Epirus are killed with no losses, blood thirsty vengeance was on our minds! From here, I will concentrate on finishing off the Samnites, they have a bunch of Legionaries too and I’m a little afraid of them! Plus the front lines are everywhere with their city pretty much inside all of my territory.

300 BC - marching to Santinum capital, fortifying Taras

290 BC - 7 LGII arrive at the city gates of Bozantium.
-4 Santinium LGI arrive at the gates of Rome.

285 BC - 2 LGII are lost but we capture Bovianum!! All the Samnite units disappear to history.
-A bunch of Carthaginian ships in southern Italy, but nobody is disembarking.

280 BC We are now building a force of Heavy Cavalry, planning on using these at Gaul.

275 BC - sending a smallish force to Patavium, hopefully that it will be enough in our first major battle with the Gauls.

270 BC Battle of Kroton was rout, killed 3 Spearman and a Mollasian Hound and captured a Worker! Peace is declared with Epirus after they handed over 3 Techs. Went on to get peace with everyone except the Gauls! I’ve decided to keep my large presence in southern Italy in preparation for the Sicily campaign to come.
-Macedonians and Rhoedians declare war

265 BC Battle of Patavium is a rout as well, killed 3 Spearmen and 2 Archers with no losses. My force is small up north and I see a large number of Swordsmen heading my way, so I sign a peace treaty to regroup.

260 BC - War with Seleucids. Waiting for Galleys to get build to begin the Sicily campaign.

240 BC - War with Goths, peace with Macedonia.

235 BC - War with Persians

230 BC - War with Egypt, Numidians, Aetolians and Syracuse.

225 BC - War with Hispania, Celts!!! and Epirus. I’ve got a big group up north now, so it’s go time for the Second Gallic War.

220 BC - Splitting my northern force into 2 groups to attack Mediolanum and Aquileia. I’ve limited myself to only 3 Fire Catapults per attacking group. I’ve decided to build a town right across the sea from Messina, as there are way too many Carthaginian Galleys all around. My sea force would definitely not make it all the way from Kroton.

210 BC - War with Pergamum and Pontus. We have now discovered Republic and the revolution has begun! All LGII are to be upgrading to LG3. My newly built town of San Giovanni has 4 Galleys ready to transport the southern force to Sicily.

195 BC - Battle of Aquileia is quick and easy. There were already injured Celt units there from wars with other tribes. South group lands in Sicily!

185 BC - South group attacks Messina and it took everyone to take the city, but it is captured! Mediolanum is taking easily by the other northern group!
-Syracuse and Carthage send attacks to Messina. I’m going to just defend until I can get more reinforcements into Sicily.

*I noticed a bunch of Radar Towers in Carthage, maybe this graphic should look like the Outpost graphic if possible.

So the game keeps shutting down when I attempt to talk to some other tribes. Specifically, the Pontics and Pergamum. It is also shutting down in between turns because I think the AI civ is trying to contact me. I’m pretty sure it has something to do with the Leader animations.

damn.. well I have been making a meidevil remix and I intially had major crashing problems.. trying to fix this on my new mod

Top Bottom