• Never go to church

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • I am a CEO - Christmas and Easter Only

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • I try to go every few weeks

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Every week, but once Sunday's over I live my own life

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • I go every week, study the Bible on my own time, and try to live what I believe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than every Sunday, and heavily involved in ministries such as youth, Bible study leader, etc.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

october

Remover Of Mattress Tags
I am starting this poll as a spinnoff of the "what's your religion" poll, to which I answered Christian. Since the two largest bars are Christian and atheist, and that is not likely to change much as more people answer, I want to state a simple fact: statistics show that over 90% of Americans call themselves Christian, for a variety of reasons, but if you take the trule Biblical definition of a Christian, the number dwindles to something less than 5-10%.

That is not a judgemental statement on my part; just the results of a survey that I heard. And based on what I see and hear out there, it makes sense. You have yoru "CEO's", those that attend church on Christmas and Easter Only, yet call themselves Christians. You have the people who go to church every week, but then forget all about it after noon on Sunday, and thus don't live it in their daily lives. You have the people who go to church, and they read the Bible on their own time, study it, pray to God to help apply the Scripture to their lives. These people, if truly believers, love everyone around them and show it.

There is only a simple definition of a true Christian in the Bible; you either are or you aren't. The Bible says that many who think they are on their way to Heaven are going to get a rude surprise on Judgement Day. I am not trying to sound judgemental or harsh for it is not my place or style. I just want to see what those who answered "Christian" in the other thread have to say. According to God there are either Christians and non-Christians. For this poll I divided it up into several degrees, just to see where people are. Please don't be afraid to answer. I'm not going to condemn or judge or be rude or jump down your throat. It's not my place. I'm to show the light, not drag people into it.

-october-

As an infant, I was thrown into a bowl of water and proclaimed Christian. No one asked me if I wanted to be one. :(

In the last 11 years, I've been twice to church - once for a funeral, once for the baptism of my godson.

Once you're in. it's just too much paper work to get out :lol:

As an infant, I was thrown into a bowl of water and proclaimed Christian. No one asked me if I wanted to be one.

Amen Panda. That is why I don't believe in infant baptism. The Bible says go and make disciples, baptizing them. It says believe and be baptized. Baptism does not save you; it is an outward display of what you believe. In other words, you accept Christ, then you get baptized to show it. So I agree with you. Don't get baptized unless you want to. And you'l want to if you are a believer. Infant baptism is unscriptural and full of false hope.

what does the frequency of church attendence have to do with "being a christian"?

October wrote"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is only a simple definition of a true Christian in the Bible; you either are or you aren't.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

please provide the definition....

I try to go to Church, but my dad's work schedule makes this difficult if not impossible. :rolleyes: Not to mention the fact that every church we try to go to has something wrong with it according to him.

Your logic is flawed, october.

I am a Christian. I attend church sporadically, and yes, this is not a good thing. However, this has little affect on my relationship with Christ. I know that I should be attending more regularly, but I honestly do read the bible every day, and pray through-out the day. I have a good relationship with my Lord and Saviour, and He keeps me throughout the days temptations. I believe in witnessing not only by word of mouth, but by deeds and actions; if people see something different in your life, that will speak for itself.

All too often, people call themselves Christians, and soil the name of Christ through their deeds. True, people make mistakes, but I'm not talking about those... I mean the people that don't make any attempt to live their lives according the to Bible, yet still insist on being Christian. (If this is indeed what they believe in, they are not Christians, but should call themselves something else.)

Judgement, however, should be reserved for God alone to make. I think homosexuality is a sin, but I don't hate homosexuals. Their sin is just as bad as a person who lies, or has heterosexual sex outside of marriage. I simply try to accept people for who they are, and leave the judgement to God. If asked, I will honestly tell them my view on their sin, and why I feel this way (according to the bible.)

Hopefully, more people who claim to be Christian will adopt a less judgemental attitude... in my witnessing, the number one complaint of nonchristians is that the Christian people they know are too judgemental, and they don't want to be a part of that, or attend a church only to be looked down upon.

I have a problem with a lot of churches, and how they do things... this accounts for why I attend church sporadically. I always get settled in, only to discover racism or bigotry, (or worse: spiritual corruption) lurking behind the congregation.

Anyhoo, I hope that this is typed out in a somewhat readable fashion.

Your logic is flawed, october.

Seemingly, yes it is. But please allow me to explain myself...

I am a Christian. I attend church sporadically, and yes, this is not a good thing. However, this has little affect on my relationship with Christ. I know that I should be attending more regularly, but I honestly do read the bible every day, and pray through-out the day. I have a good relationship with my Lord and Saviour, and He keeps me throughout the days temptations. I believe in witnessing not only by word of mouth, but by deeds and actions; if people see something different in your life, that will speak for itself.

It is great to hear this. It appears that you do follow the Lord truely, but that is not for me to judge, as only God can see in the heart. This is very similar to how I act, but I go to church, Bible study, and I work with the junior high youth group, but this does not make me any better than anyone else. I just do all that because I want to.

All too often, people call themselves Christians, and soil the name of Christ through their deeds. True, people make mistakes, but I'm not talking about those... I mean the people that don't make any attempt to live their lives according the to Bible, yet still insist on being Christian. (If this is indeed what they believe in, they are not Christians, but should call themselves something else.)

I agree. When you become a Christian you don't stop sinning completely, but your attitude changes, and you are no longer characterized by a life of sin, and you show fruits of Spirit. That is all we have to see, to try to tell if someone is a true believer or not. And many Christians are hypocrites. And you brought up the exact point I wanted to make with this poll. My point is that a majority of people who call themselves Christians make little or no effort to live like one. Jesus said himself that wide is the road to destruction and many find it, and narrow is the road to Heaven and a few find it. It sais along the same lines that many people who think they are ok with God really are not.

But, I know that church attendence is not a good measure of someone's faith. It is just a measure that I chose for this forum, since I know people have different philosophies of attendance. That is why I tried to put some other factors in there, such as what you do on your own time with relation to God and ministry and your mindset during the week.

-october-

I think I understand your goal, now. And indeed, your poll would be appropriate for the end of bringing up the point I brought up :p

I'm glad that we're on the same page, here. Too many call themselves Christian, without even knowing Christ. I believe that we're on the verge of a great change... too many have forsaken the Truth, and if history is any teacher, then things won't keep going on like they have. I hope and pray that America will see a Great Awakening similar to the 1800's, and the revival will spread across the world! :) That's what I believe, anyhoo.

I have not been to a church in 12 years.

I was not baptized, and will NEVER be baptized.

See....you have to look at it this way. What if the church is actually a prop of Satan. Who's only drive is to "baptize" people, but actually it's puts a tracer on their soul. So when they die, the Devil knows where they are.

"You see....do you see" -Mad TV Character ...... why baptizism is a tool of the devil!!!

That was a joke post BTW....don't want anyone to take offense.

Even though I'm un-religious, and find people talking about religion offensive, but they can't see what they do, only what others are doing.

"Do onto others as you wish them to do to you." So then next murderist bastard that comes after me is going to get a face full!!

I'm sorry.....I really have no focus tonight....that's what lack of sleep does to you!!! And I have another 12 hour shift tomorrow!!! And then Monday is all day changing our peer-to-peer network of all XP's to a Win2k Domain, but everything but the server has to stay XP...and I can't delete the 3.5 GB of shard files we have already made.....Tuesday is supposed to be off...but this Domain isn't going to go smoothly...I can see it now. Then on Wednesday I'm back to my other 12 hour a day job until Saturday.

I NEED SLEEP!!!

P.S. This is the reason I had to stop MODing. Too much work, and no focus on posting. Just so people understood.....and thought I left for other reasons.

As far as I know, if you are protestant, you can have a direct conduit to GOD and do not need a church at all. But churches make money and direct talking to GOD does not, so its easy to see why there is so much pressure to go to church all the time.

Top Bottom