Christianity founded by arabs

Title says it all, but has anyone had this before ?

I've changed some of the UU's abit, Rome didn't last very long (first playtest so could be fluke, UU was toned down but still beats axes) although Greece did last awhile. Ethiopia is going well too (not sure if the ethiopian AI gets christianity much though)...

I'm playing as Japan so I'd imagine my influence shouldn't have an effect, although China did descend into civil war fairly early (though I didn't think I did anything to encourage that, as it was shortly after I spawned).

So I'm wondering if its mod related, fluke or something else...

Arabia founding Christianity pretty much doesn't spread (as you'd expect) so like playing with 5 religions (since Taoism is small too)...

Has happened to me to sometimes, especially if alot civs collapse:lol:

Ive never seen that before. Can you post a screenshot?

It's happened quite a lot for me. Arabia starts with Theology, so if no Civ researches it before 620, then they found it.
Greece or Rome probably is most likely to found it, but with all the barbarians they may be weak/collapsed. (Though I have seen games where both are alive and very strong at the rise of Europe...)
Jerusalem seems to found it quite a lot, and in my last few games as Babylon/Persia, Gordion has founded it every single time.
I've also seen Persia found Taoism, but that was just strange.

screenie requested and delivered. Had to use worldbuilder mode since I'm abit isolationist :p

But yea I figured Arabs would have to start with Theocracy, so when I saw "a new civ is being born" followed by Christianity and Islam being founded I was abit surprised (obviously worked out who it was).

screenie taken at 1580 AD. Arabs have just been conquered (as you can probably tell).

Attachments

• mecca.JPG
    mecca.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 374
In my current game as Germany, Mailand (Mediolanum or Mílan) is the Islam Holy City, which I control. (It was Roman, which collapsed-Then, the barb city was captured by France, and then by me when I conquered them). Al-Quds (Jerusalem) is the Jewish and Christian Holy City, and Arabia is Jewish, as is Persia and England. I am Muslim, as is Spain and Aztec (which England is conquering). In case your intrested, I control: Italy, Southern Scandinavia, Russia, France, a tiny bit of North Africa and Turkey, and Central and Eastern Europe and I play vanilla

Because this thread was bumped, I guess I'll take this chance to bring it up...
Gordion happens to be on the same tile as Sogut, or a tile next to it. So when the Turks spawn, Gordion, if still existing as a barbarian city, is destroyed. As I said, I find Gordion to be quite often the holy city of Christianity, which makes sense, as Antioch is somewhere near there.
If Gordion lasts that long to found Christianity, however, it most likely will not be captured by anyone until the Turkish spawn. Then it's destroyed, and Christianity no longer has a holy city. And since no one has trade routes or open borders with barbarians, Christianity usually hasn't really spread by that time, and will never really spread throughout the rest of the game.
I don't know if there's a way to fix or counter this, not that it's critical to the game. It's just weird seeing one of the biggest religions today to be at 1%. Islam actually hit 60% in one of my games, just because of this. :lol:

I remember that happening once when I was playing as Arabia. I founded Christianity, but I spread Islam instead. And in another game (or maybe it was the same game) I remember Germany converting to Buddhism :crazyeye:.

I'm wondering if anyone's had Jewish America yet?

In one game where I tried to make the Vikings as the Swedish and auto-played out a 3000 BC start, I gave them Monotheism and Theology from the start - to my surprise, Stockholm (capital) was the holy city of Christianity. Had I not tweaked the game mechanics a bit, Mecca would have become the holy city of both Islam and Christianity, respectively.

Rarely I've had the holy city of Islam wind up as any other than Mecca - only once it turned out to be Sur (Tyre), but in that game whole of Arabia was Jewish. :crazyeye: Has anyone else had any better luck getting the Islamic holy city being other than Mecca (or Delhi)?

I remember playing a game as America, and I got a Jewish missionary at the beginning. (If I remember correctly, the missionary you get is the one of the religion the Brits have? I have to wonder what happens if they have no religion...)
Sanaa was the Islamic holy city in one of my games, though it was under Arabic rule for nearly the entire time so they were still Muslim.
In another game, the Turks took Mecca, while the Arabs held onto Jerusalem, so they switched to Judaism.
The Christian holy city is really the only one that rapidly changes. I've seen it literally anywhere...Usually a Greco-Roman city, or in the Middle East, but it was in Japan once.
That game was really messed up. Japan isolates itself, so it barely spread. Once I colonized the Americas, instead of Christianity hitting my cities, Buddhism and Taoism did. :lol:

(If I remember correctly, the missionary you get is the one of the religion the Brits have? I have to wonder what happens if they have no religion...)

Then you get the religion of the nearest civ that has a religion.

I remember playing a game as America, and I got a Jewish missionary at the beginning. (If I remember correctly, the missionary you get is the one of the religion the Brits have? I have to wonder what happens if they have no religion...)

The details of how the American starting missionary is derived can be found in this thread.

How often do you witness Muslim Apostolic Palace? I never saw it (both in BTS and RFC) before my current game as Russia. Christianity was found by Greek in Bysandium, but AP was build in Makkah.

Once in a while. Usually its Christian, or sometimes Buddhist. I have seen Confucian, Taoist and Hindu APs, but not Jewish yet. My last game as Arabia was a Muslim AP (Ethiopia built it!).

I find the AP is usually in Ethiopia in the most recent path. The Romans have their hands full fighting barbs, I guess.

As for the determining of the missionary for America. Every city within the rectangular region starting 4W 6N of Washington and ending 4E 6S of Washington gets counted. for each religion the game checks how many cities in that region are owned by someone with that state religion(regardless of the city's religion). Each religion get a point for each city and the religion with the most points is chosen.

Top Bottom