1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Christoper Hitchins dies

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Pangur Bán, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Pangur Bán

Pangur Bán Deconstructed

FULL STORY

He and I were not allies ideologically, but his voice in American public debate was an individual and influential one. He will be missed!

2. Whiskey_Lord

Whiskey_Lord Deity

I feel like I owe a debt to this modern emancipator for his own part in liberating me from my dogmatic slumber. Now he is gone forever. Now watch as theists gloat like idiots about this. Love of Christ my ass.

3. alva848

alva848 nothing on my mind!!!

Shouldn't have said that whiskey, now they might not... openly anyway...

It's been a long time since anyone's death has hurt me, but damn, this one really does...:(

ps: sorry 'bout the duplicate thread, was checking something and this one got posted in the meantime...

4. Skwink

Skwink FRIIIIIIIIIITZ

Sorry to hear about his dying of cancer, cancer sucks. I didn't particularly like him though.

5. madviking

madviking north american scum

Farewell.

6. MjM

MjM Deity

7. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Deity Retired Moderator

After his cancer diagnosis, I figured it was only a matter of time. Seems he lived a full life and died of risks he knew he was taking, decided was worth it, and took anyway (excessive drinking, smoking). Anyway, RIP.

8. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Damn, I actually really liked watching him debate things. Like Dawkins he tended to be dogmatic but he made many excellent points and arguments.

The Hitchslap will be missed.

Link to video.

9. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

10. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

So long and thanks for all the grins.

Now, now, don't pre-judge and don't give them ideas.

11. Murky

Murky Deity

He was a great debater and will be missed.

12. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Some choice quotes:

Terrorism is the tactic of demanding the impossible, and demanding it at gunpoint.

I became a journalist because I did not want to rely on newspapers for information.

What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.

Faith is the surrender of the mind; it's the surrender of reason, it's the surrender of the only thing that makes us different from other mammals. It's our need to believe, and to surrender our skepticism and our reason, our yearning to discard that and put all our trust or faith in someone or something, that is the sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith must be the most overrated.

It [Obama's Nobel peace prize] would be like giving someone an Oscar in the hope that it would encourage them to make a decent motion picture.

The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species. It may be a long farewell, but it has begun and, like all farewells, should not be protracted.

Is it too modern to notice that there is nothing about rape, nothing about the protection of children from cruelty, and nothing about genocide? Or is it exactingly "in context" to notice that some of these very offenses are about to be positively recommended?

If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in a quite different world.

13. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

A great debater and a very fine writer. I did not agree with him all the time, but did agree often. I really admired him for his intellectual integrity and willingness to embrace unpopular positions and go against his former comrades. He will be missed.

14. civver_764

civver_764 Deity

He's had a lot of great things to say(ie. anti-theism), and I agree with him on a ton of stuff, but unfortunately like many atheists he took his anti-Islam views way too far.

15. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Never quite sure what I thought of him, to be honest, but the world's probably worse for losing him.

16. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

I greatly enjoyed listening to him. I found his acerbic tone delightful, and I loved his mean, mean turns of phrases.

F cancer. Seriously

17. muhtesem insan

muhtesem insan Amateur Revolutionary

I'll remember him mostly his support for American war machine, and to be fair i don't see his death as a loss.

18. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

Bah, he always had some interesting things to say. There are some excellent videos on youtube of him. RIP.

Got some more Hitch quotes:

Discussing GWB when he was governor of Texas: "He is unusually incurious, abnormally unintelligent, amazingly inarticulate, fantastically uncultured, extraordinarily uneducated, and apparently quite proud of all these things"

"Cluster bombs are perhaps not good in themselves, but when they are dropped on identifiable concentrations of Taliban troops, they do have a heartening effect"

19. Agent Cooper

Agent Cooper Lynch's Creation

Oh well, now he can debate with George Carlin in the hereafter, who likewise could have some controversial standpoints but never the less, you never doubted the razorsharp intellect and ability to dissect the absurdities of modern life.

RIP

20. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

Misereátur tui omnípotens Deus, et, dimíssis peccátis tuis, perdúcat te ad vitam ætérnam.

Requiescat in pace.

-

May almighty God have mercy on you, forgive you your sins, and lead you to life everlasting.

Rest in peace.