Christopher Tin scores #80 in the ClassicFM Hall of Fame 2023

The_J

Say No 2 Net Validations
Administrator
Supporter
ctin_classic_fm_50.jpeg

The ClassicFM Hall Of Fame is a yearly public poll for the best classical music, and the Top 300 are played every Easter. Since 2013 also video game music has been included.
This year, also our favourite composer had his entries nominated and voted in. Both his video game scores for Civ4 and Civ6 were included as a composite, and earned im place #80, between e.g. works like Johann Sebastian Bach's Double Violin Concerto on #79, and Giacomo Puccini's La Boheme on #84.

The description from the ClassicFM website:
American composer Christopher Tin’s music has been used in multiple instalments of the Civilization video game franchise, and is widely adored by video game music fans.
One of his best known works is ‘Baba Yetu’, a choral setting of the Lord’s Prayer sung in Swahili, which was used as the theme song for Civilization IV and won Tin a Grammy Award in 2011.
Tin contributed a further theme to the game franchise in 2016, writing ‘Sogno di Volare’ for Civilization VI – another choral anthem, which saw Tin re-invigorate Leonardo da Vinci’s musings on flight through music.

If you want to congratulate Christopher Tin, then you can do this here or on Twitter.
The 2 most important songs can be found here (Baba Yetu) and here (Sogno Di Volare).

View attachment 659351

The ClassicFM Hall Of Fame is a yearly public poll for the best classical music, and the Top 300 are played every Easter. Since 2013 also video game music has been included.
This year, also our favourite composer had his entries nominated and voted in. Both his video game scores for Civ4 and Civ6 were included as a composite, and earned im place #80, between e.g. works like Johann Sebastian Bach's Double Violin Concerto on #79, and Giacomo Puccini's La Boheme on #84.

The description from the ClassicFM website:

If you want to congratulate Christopher Tin, then you can do this here or on Twitter.
The 2 most important songs can be found here (Baba Yetu) and here (Sogno Di Volare).

Genuinely curious, does anyone here know him from anything other than 1 song in Civ IV and 1 song in Civ VI? Great songs, really, but also music I switch off after hearing it 10 times.

That in-game music rewritten / composed by Knorr on the other hand... I have 2500 hours in Civ, and I guess at least 3000 hours in total listening to his music.

Genuinely curious, does anyone here know him from anything other than 1 song in Civ IV and 1 song in Civ VI? Great songs, really, but also music I switch off after hearing it 10 times.

That in-game music rewritten / composed by Knorr on the other hand... I have 2500 hours in Civ, and I guess at least 3000 hours in total listening to his music.
Yes, his Calling All Dawns and The Drop That Contained The Sea albums are amazing

Standout tracks:
Kia Hora Te Marino:

Waloyo Yamoni:

Would be thrilled to have either of those in a Civ game as well

Last edited:
Yes, his Calling All Dawns and The Drop That Contained The Sea albums are amazing
I have all four albums now! I went through the Kickstarter process for the latest one and it was a lot of fun! Chris and/or his assistant sent out frequent emails about the composing process, recording, mixing, engineering, liner notes, sheet music, performances, piano arrangements, and so on. I learned a lot!

Top Bottom