Chronicles of Mankind

:D
Spoiler :D :

Haha Well it's not like most ranged units are using fire, just plain old arrows most of the time. And most stuff I have seen has said that while fire arrows were real they were not often used and are overused in Hollywood stuff.
But it's up to you if you want ships to die quicker to ranged attacks. But I don't think it would feel right for gameplay balance or thematically.

Last edited:
why dont you did this ranged attack like artilery in realism invicus? max damage done by arrows is 5% max enemy hp, action cost one movement point for archer (unit can move or shoot ranged, unit leads by warlord could attack and move in the same turn, additional promotion) and unit can attack only one enemy per turn?
longbowmans and horse archers could do max 10% to damage, arquebuisers 15%, rifleman 20% infantry 25%, modern and mechanised infantry 35%, acv 40%
but shooting from distance is artilery role , not common unit, i still dont like this idea
bigger damage from ranged attacks should have gatling, machine gun and minigun (max 65% ranged damage, can only defend)

or make it pure number damage dealed (like if archer use arrow, enemy unit lose 1 STR, if enemy forces are stacked in group damage is splitted on all units.
if you have 5 archers who range attack light swordsman he lose 5 STR (base 7 STR - 5 STR by ranged attack) and he`s still alive but have just 2 STR

soft enough not to destroy balance nor make weird tricks like increase health of water units. it would also make modern units superior to ancient or outdated units (ww1 infantry could kill archers on sight from one attack)

second option would also increase value of "trench" promotion (additional line who reduce value of ranged attack. or maybe add additional line promotion who reduce damage from ranged attacks)
only problem i can see is computer can properly count STR, i mean did after attack attacked unit can heal? or will be pernamently reduced and you will need recruit another "fresh" unit in a place of old one. did AI can recognise that should remove strongly damaged units in that case?

on the occasion: hi-tech units and mech units should have acess only to tech / mech promotions; like fighter or bomber dont have promotions like "woodsman" the same these units should not have acess to them.And i know that in game you can add "human" promotions to mechs

Last edited:
There's no button for pillaging(razing) newly conquered (or revolted) cities. I haven't activated "no friendly pillaging". I confirm that my units have got the button for pillaging my own improvements. What's going wrong?

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    297.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    264.8 KB · Views: 23
why dont you did this ranged attack like artilery in realism invicus? max damage done by arrows is 5% max enemy hp, action cost one movement point for archer
Because it's too simplistic, with the current system modders can decide how strong they want to make volley attacks. What if you want to design a unit that can 1 shot most weaker units but has very low accuracy?
Impossible with the system you propose, or a unit that has very high accuracy but very low damage, also impossible with the system you propose. Makes it harder to make interesting units.

What you want can still theoretically be done with the system in place, but all iVolleyEfficiency values would have to be lowered in order to only do around 5 percent of enemy health.
They should still be lowered anyways but I think only doing 5 percent damage is too extreme. But that is Zetas call to make.

and unit can attack only one enemy per turn?
This is already how it is, if you perform a volley, you can only move and cannot attack or do another volley until the next turn.

why dont you did this ranged attack like artilery in realism invicus? max damage done by arrows is 5% max enemy hp, action cost one movement point for archer (unit can move or shoot ranged, unit leads by warlord could attack and move in the same turn, additional promotion) and unit can attack only one enemy per turn?
longbowmans and horse archers could do max 10% to damage, arquebuisers 15%, rifleman 20% infantry 25%, modern and mechanised infantry 35%, acv 40%

This will be unhistorical (archers could finish off an opponent as successfully as machine gunners) and makes early long-range units catastrophically useless.

second option would also increase value of "trench" promotion (additional line who reduce value of ranged attack. or maybe add additional line promotion who reduce damage from ranged attacks)
Now purely theoretical reasoning. In a good way, it is necessary (this is by no means Zeta's advice, because it is difficult)
1. to give the opportunity to build trenches - this is in one of the modifications of the TTT.
2. differentiate the damage limit not only depending on who is shooting, but also
a) depending on the target.
b) depending on the terrain and improvements, where the target is located. For example, artillery can destroy ships, other artillery and tanks, but cannot completely knock out infantry at all (early artillery) or in a city/trenches/fort (late).
A more realistic, but difficult to achieve option - there is no limit, but there is a decrease in accuracy depending on the above factors and the health of the target. "The infantry in the city can be finished off with artillery, but it will take a very long time."
It's quite good to give the shot a value. In PIE, they "shoot gold", I quietly dream of imitating a full-fledged economy and spending ammunition. In the thread Platy is a code with "calculable" and accumulated resources (like in Civilization-6).But it needs to be completed.

Last edited:
There's no button for pillaging(razing) newly conquered (or revolted) cities. I haven't activated "no friendly pillaging". I confirm that my units have got the button for pillaging my own improvements. What's going wrong?

same here

Okay, I confirm that city pillaging is not working.
@Inthegrave can you look after it please?
I almost never pillage especially cities, so it didn't occur to me yet.
Thanks for the report.

When I start the mod I get around 20 error message regarding XML files. Is this intended? The mod seemsto worrk fine beyond that.

When I start the mod I get around 20 error message regarding XML files. Is this intended? The mod seemsto worrk fine beyond that.
It's never intended but if you are playing with MegaPack than it is normal :)
Those are harmless (but annoying) errors. It is to be fixed in the (far) future.

There's a quest (attached picture) that fails if you reach Naval Cannon tech but there's no such tech. However, the quest works ok.
Also contacted Zara Yaqob to cancel trading stone but the popup window at the top right is blank and doesn't close.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    186.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 18
Okay, I can confirm that iFractionalXPEarnedInCity tag doesn't work as is should. Instead of giving a small constant Xp value to units in the city, it's adding a small % based on their current Xp. So the more Xp they have, the more they get.
@Inthegrave please add this also to your to do list. Thank you.

Okay, I can confirm that iFractionalXPEarnedInCity tag doesn't work as is should. Instead of giving a small constant Xp value to units in the city, it's adding a small % based on their current Xp. So the more Xp they have, the more they get.
@Inthegrave please add this also to your to do list. Thank you.

Yes sir, sounds pretty bad.

So I already have decided how to change Clans:
Clans:
  • remove Xp per turn in cities
  • +50% Maintenance Cost from Distance to Palace
  • -50% Maintenance Cost from Number of Cities
  • +2:) in Cities
  • +20%:mad: from Population
...but Warrior Caste and Standing Army has the same tag, so they also need to be changed - at least for the time the tag gets fixed. I could simply make it give more Xp but that's "boring". I want each civic unique and interesting and worth using in certain situations. So I'm open for suggestions and brainstorming on those two civics :)

...but Warrior Caste and Standing Army has the same tag, so they also need to be changed - at least for the time the tag gets fixed. I could simply make it give more Xp but that's "boring". I want each civic unique and interesting and worth using in certain situations. So I'm open for suggestions and brainstorming on those two civics

warrior caste - reduced production of military units but bonus exp for each unit (not bonus 0.001 per turn) a bit bigger chance to revolt
standing army - its just expansion of warrior caste, exept no more "castes" in society. some beetween mercenaries and warrior cast
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_army
Standing armies tend to be better equipped, better trained, and better prepared for emergencies, defensive deterrence, and particularly, wars.[1] The term dates from approximately 1600 CE, although the phenomenon it describes is much older.

https://warsofasoiaf.tumblr.com/post/135585811261/what-advantages-and-disadvantages-would-a-standing
https://teachinghistory.org/history-content/ask-a-historian/24671

standing army - even bigger bonus of start exp, at cost of maintamence and reduced production of military unit
irregular armies are cheap, fast produced and completly lack of experience (standard big armies vs profesional small armies)

The immense costs necessary to raise and maintain a standing army (moneys required for pay, uniforms, rations, weapons, pensions, and so forth) would burden the populace with an immense and crippling tax burden that would require the government to confiscate more and more of the citizenry’s wealth in order to meet those massive expenses. Madison’s language reflected a common concern that the maintenance of a standing army in the new United States would place similar burdens on the young government; their experiences with the British army under Parliament in the 1760s and 1770s likewise led to concerns that the executive would use a standing army to force unpopular legislation on an unwilling public in similar fashion.

volunteer army civic would be the revers of standing army - cheaper unit production, unskilled units with perk "patriotism"

Last edited:
I'll take a look at the quest.

Is the diplo screen freeze repeatable? If so, please upload a save file before the stucking, so @Inthegrave can look after it.

Yes, I tried again to contact Zara Yaqob in order to cancel the lead deal and again the same blank popup.

Attachments

• chronicles.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
Actually I am thinking about removing Standing Army civic. I see both game play and realism reasons to do so.
The civic category "Military" is about how you recruit your soldiers: Are they just hunters? Is there a caste whose prime duty is providing warriors? Or it's the duty of every one to go to war when they are conscripted? Do you rather hire paid mercenaries even from abroad? Is it a noble duty? Is it voluntary and form of career to be a soldier? Or you try say that war is not for men but for machines?

But what can we say about Standing Army? It doesn't represent any way of recruiting soldiers. It's simply the fact that you have military units, which is basically true from the start of the game, even if it's only 1 Warrior.
The category already has enough choices and Standing Army was always hard to distinguish Conscription and Volunteer Army. So I think it could be axed.

However I am also thinking about adding an other military civic to the Trans-Human era: Genetic. The TH era has too few civics so it could use an extra one. I'm thinking of a civic where your soldiers are not recruited but bred for warfare. Would enable Cyborgs and Genetic Soldiers maybe even some Resident Evil kind monstrosities.

What do you think?

Top Bottom