Chronicles of Mankind

How's the current situation with the AI in this mod?
It can't ship troops to another continent, it can't use slaves to multiply building production by 3 times and it can't differentiate between 100 warriors and 40 axemen while considering war (it's decent at attacking cities, though). Doubt it can hunt comparably to players, especially with movement limits on.
I can't bear to play a New Dawn 2 anymore because the AI refuses to pick a civic other than republic
You can adjust civic weight yourself so that civic of the same "tier" have the same baseline before personality preferences kick in. I find CoM's civics better thought-out in general, but population cost increases probably make AIs lag even further behind.

How's the current situation with the AI in this mod? I can't bear to play a New Dawn 2 anymore because the AI refuses to pick a civic other than republic, and the AI is so passive and easy to beat it's a bore to play through to get to the really cool stuff in the post-modern eras, even at Immortal and Deity the AI is a pushover, when base game Civ 4 I struggle playing on Warlord...
I hope that's not the same with this mod or at least it gets fixed soon enough because AND is pratically dead.
Interesting. I've never had a problem with the AI being passive or Civic choices, and I play Deity as well.
I usually play with the AGG AI, and ADV AI options checked, as well as random leaders. Current GEM game has multiple AI's with a variety of Civics going on.
Granted, support for the mod appears to have dissipated, which is unfortunate.
As for CoM, I've never been able to successfully extract it into my mods folder in order to get it to run. Something about missing archives. Can't seem to find an answer to this puzzle.

Hey Nexus I know I promised to put some flavor art packs together and its been quite awile, but I still intend on doing so. Was thinking this:

European(Northern)
European(Aegean/Greco Roman)
European(Eastern)
African(West)
African(East(Egypt/Nubia/Ethiopia etc)
African(South)
Mideastern(Mesopotamian
Asian(South/India)
Asian(Southeast)
Asian(Fareast)
Native American(Woodlands)
Native American(Plains)
Mesoamerican(Mexican)
Mesoamerican(Mayan)
South American(Andean)

This look good?

As for CoM, I've never been able to successfully extract it into my mods folder in order to get it to run. Something about missing archives. Can't seem to find an answer to this puzzle.
Well, that's odd indeed. :confused:

Hey Nexus I know I promised to put some flavor art packs together and its been quite awile, but I still intend on doing so. Was thinking this:

European(Northern)
European(Aegean/Greco Roman)
European(Eastern)
African(West)
African(East(Egypt/Nubia/Ethiopia etc)
African(South)
Mideastern(Mesopotamian
Asian(South/India)
Asian(Southeast)
Asian(Fareast)
Native American(Woodlands)
Native American(Plains)
Mesoamerican(Mexican)
Mesoamerican(Mayan)
South American(Andean)

This look good?
Basically yes.
Where would you put western civs (England, Spain, France, Duch, etc)? And the colonial civs: USA, Canada and Australia?
Perhaps you just forgot to write the entries :)

And you do it when you have time and motivation for it. I really appreciate it :hatsoff:

Interesting. I've never had a problem with the AI being passive or Civic choices, and I play Deity as well.
I usually play with the AGG AI, and ADV AI options checked, as well as random leaders. Current GEM game has multiple AI's with a variety of Civics going on.
Granted, support for the mod appears to have dissipated, which is unfortunate.
Do you play the latest version? I have the highest aggro AI setting and the only person who has declared war on me was Japan at the start of the game. Otherwise even the other AI don't declare war on each other unless I force them, and they don't do anything because the AI is so broke (gold wise), very few AI make more than 0 gold per turn. I've basically resorted to funding the tech and money of the entire world so that they can be useful but alas they fall right back down without support. Not sure where the Advanced AI options are though, dont see it in the bug menu?

stupidai.png

So far this mod has been pretty good though I get an error where I can't regenerate maps and going into the main menu and selecting a new map regens the same map from the last game :/

I get an where I can't regenerate maps and going into the main menu and selecting a new map regens the same map from the last game
Honestly, I don't fully understand what the bug is but I don't think it's something I could fix :sad:

Basically yes.
Where would you put western civs (England, Spain, France, Duch, etc)? And the colonial civs: USA, Canada and Australia?

And you do it when you have time and motivation for it. I really appreciate it :hatsoff:

Indeed. I've tried both WinRar and 7zip in order to extract, but both programs say that archives are missing. I have the same issue with Keldath's mod as well.
Interestingly enough, I have no issues with any other extraction of other mods that I play. So, yeah. Confused as all heck :D

Do you play the latest version? I have the highest aggro AI setting and the only person who has declared war on me was Japan at the start of the game. Otherwise even the other AI don't declare war on each other unless I force them, and they don't do anything because the AI is so broke (gold wise), very few AI make more than 0 gold per turn. I've basically resorted to funding the tech and money of the entire world so that they can be useful but alas they fall right back down without support. Not sure where the Advanced AI options are though, dont see it in the bug menu?

View attachment 639806

So far this mod has been pretty good though I get an error where I can't regenerate maps and going into the main menu and selecting a new map regens the same map from the last game :/
Yuppers.
I do keep Vassals and Rev checked to off though. In my experience, it severely cripples the AI. When I get a chance, I'll look at my settings and post it for you.
My current GEM run has Stalin/Meji/and Mao in a alliance ( Mon/Rep/Com) ahead of me in points and they're driving towards gobbling up some neutrals.
I have a slight tech lead, and myself and 3 allies are all running Dem. Been a really good game so far. Lol, I'm trying for a Diplo win, but it's getting dicey as we head into the modern era.

Basically yes.

I was thinking some civilizations could be covered with unique artstyles. Egypt or Rome come to mind. Same with the ones you mentioned. Some graphics could be shared with civs like that though, like early ships. What do you think?

@XSTHR;
Sorry for late response, work has been a PITA.

Settings I usually run are as follows.

Raging Barbs/ Agg AI/ Random Per/ No TB/ No Tribal/ No Rev's/ Lim Rel/ No Vassals/ Start as minor/ Mul Prod/ Mul Res/ Use Mtns/ Srrround and destroy/ Adv Diplo/ Barb Gen/ Assimilation/ Ruthless AI ( This works really well with Agg AI)/ Great Commanders/ Larger Cities/ Adv Espi/ Movement Limits.

Early game is about survival ( arch tech is key on these settings), expand to a few cities, play your civ's strengths. By writing, diplo comes into play, and when you get spys, make use of them. There will be occasional wars, but mostly just expansion and gaining techs. By middle ages, more wars and a bit of slow down as the AI's are flexing their muscles. By Ren era, more exploration and teching. AI will be doing similar, and hopefully you'll have a few spies leveled up, as you'll need them for a variety of roles.
IND era and later, at least for me, it's all about getting some key wonders, alliances, and a really good defensive army ( I'm a builder in play style). I usually like to go for a diplo or science win, but I've had games that go all the way into the future era before I could get either of those two win conditions.
Hope this helps, and happy gaming.

I followed the link to here from your post in the rivers thread. this looks interesting and I look forward to playing it soon.
I am interested in potentially helping out. If I can figure out how. Then maybe trying to add in navigable rivers and adjusting naval balance to help there.
Overall, from what I can see in your changelogs I like the direction you have taken things. Particularly when it comes to adding more rules and content to traits and civics. Implementing things to limit expansion that is too wide is also interesting.
I am interested in knowing what you consider to be the core principles when it comes to content for the mod? As well as what goals you have for it that are not already achieved.
Some small interesting things I noticed in the changelog:
The bandit seemed interesting. invisible land combat units are annoying though. So, I can see why they were nerfed. Not sure if they are still there. They seemed to originally be a unit for the deceiver trait? Not sure if they are still in the mod as a unit for everyone. Or if you removed them. One direction I think might be interesting to take it is hidden nationality land units. So, you can pillage in peace time. But, there lower strength makes them somewhat easy to protect against with well placed forts, hill units, or fast calvary. If it also came with woodsman or guerrilla then perhaps you could have a unit that is a effective at sneaking in through wooded areas of an enemy territory and and escaping through woods.
alternatively, limited invisibilty is something that is fairly enjoyable in a couple other strategy games I play.
Such as, invisible only in woods. Or invisible but only if another unit doesn't walk to the tile next to it. If you want to encourage use of automatic cavalry patrols of a territory for instance.
Overall, I am kind of interested in trying to port some of the things from double your pleasure for civ3 forward to civ 4. although, obviously some might not fit well. Or might be redundant for other solutions to the same problems implemented in civ4.
In particular a city growth system based arround 3 food per pop could be interesting in civ 4. Athough, it would have a big enough effect that I figure that I would probably need to fork such an approach into it's own mod. I would still prefer to have an upstream mod that is somewhat established if I go that route.
adding buildings or units to civics is one thing I was particularly excited to see here. Since it was one of things I most enjoyed in DyP.

Overall, from what I can see in your changelogs I like the direction you have taken things. Particularly when it comes to adding more rules and content to traits and civics. Implementing things to limit expansion that is too wide is also interesting.
Thank you :hatsoff:

I am interested in knowing what you consider to be the core principles when it comes to content for the mod?
Empire simulator. Ita not only your rival civs that you need to defeat but you also have to deal with inner problems as well. For this reason the mod is intended to play with Revolutions ON. And for the same reason did I introduce the "Bigger penalties from bigger empires" mechanic.

As well as what goals you have for it that are not already achieved.
A lot! But it's too late here to write them down now :sleep:

Bandits:
Oh, I really should finish my newest patch. I tried several things with the Bandit unit (including some you mentioned) but none worked well in my test games, so I replaced it with a unique spy unit. Courtesan is available to Deceiver leaders only. It's a national unit and has a unique promotion tree that can make it more powerful than regular spies.

Food:
You need 3 :food: / pop in this mod. It was this way in its mother and grandmother mods too.

adding buildings or units to civics is one thing I was particularly excited to see here. Since it was one of things I most enjoyed in DyP
I don't know what DyP stands for.

Thank you :hatsoff:

Empire simulator. Ita not only your rival civs that you need to defeat but you also have to deal with inner problems as well. For this reason the mod is intended to play with Revolutions ON. And for the same reason did I introduce the "Bigger penalties from bigger empires" mechanic.

A lot! But it's too late here to write them down now :sleep:

Bandits:
Oh, I really should finish my newest patch. I tried several things with the Bandit unit (including some you mentioned) but none worked well in my test games, so I replaced it with a unique spy unit. Courtesan is available to Deceiver leaders only. It's a national unit and has a unique promotion tree that can make it more powerful than regular spies.

Food:
You need 3 :food: / pop in this mod. It was this way in its mother and grandmother mods too.

I don't know what DyP stands for.
DyP stands for double your pleasure.

It is slightly disappointing you don't have a design doc or anything. But, at least having ideas in your head still makes them decent for working on.
Do you have a git or github to handle development and backups? Or do you just do that all locally?
Once I play it some more I will probably think of some more ideas for things I might be able to try to do to help improve it.

It's all local for the moment but I want to go to GitHub sooner or later... Well... it's already decided, just... I don't do much modding these days. The little free time I have I rather use to PLAY my mod, rather than BUILD it.

Hmm,
Well, the more you play your mod the easier it is to balance. And that means that it is fun for you to play which is good. I remember the mod design thread mentioning that it is particularly important for project leads to play their own mod frequently to get a better feel for how to improve the game balance.

So, I got it installed but it won't open. I put both the base files and the patch. And I am using the proper CIV4 beta for the original.

It just won't start though. I get like 15+ errors when I try to start it and it doesn't start. It's parent mod does work though. Below is just the first six. Although, if it would help I could try taking a picture of all of them. But, in case the solution is obvious I figure I should wait for a response.

Error2-1.PNG
Error2-2.PNG
Error2-3.PNG
Error2-4.PNG
Error2-5.PNG
Error2-6.PNG

Looks like a faulty installation :undecide:
Did you try it again? Do other mods work properly?

Is Rise of Mankind also installed? Not RoM-AND by Afforess, but the original one by Zappara. It is mentioned in RoM-AND forums, that having RoM and RoM-AND both installed will cause issues. However, having multiple copies of RoM-AND and CoM has no problems.

It is slightly disappointing you don't have a design doc or anything. But, at least having ideas in your head still makes them decent for working on.
Now I have them in written form too:

Top Bottom