Church, Relgion & People My testimony of the Evill of the corporate church

I am the Future

Oi Oi Oi !!!
Let us start from the begining....

I was raised Methodist. I was active in the church at a healthy level. I believed in Christ, that he was my savior, and the he was real. Then at teh age of 10, I relised that I didn't actually believe in Jesus, maybe God existed, but i was fairly sure that jesus wasnt my savior, the son of god, and even a real person. This suited me well for 3 years when another incident happened in my life, my Dad met up with his highschool sweetheart. I knew nothing about this woman accept taht she had 2 children, loved my dad with all her heart, and that she was a "Jesus Freak"(her words not mine). Within weeks of my dad and her getting back together he dragged me to a church called "Crossroads". I looked at Crossroads as one would look at any church, with optimism and faith that I would not fall asleep. I was correct that I didnt fall asleep, but waht did happen ws worse.

I had been sucked down a path that I would fallow dilligently for the next year. A path filled with constant prayer, titheing, and reading of that o so holy book. I gave myself to Christ 2 months later, and I thought at the time taht it was the best decision of my life. It consumed me. My evenings were spent in prayer and my days with religous descusions, all of which I can plainly see now that I lost miserably. It had seemed I was lost in my self. I had even written a paper for english class argueing the bennifets of teaching creation in schools. The funny part of this paper was that I avoided the thought of evolution, even though I knew then that it was a readily accepted and highly supported theory. Instead I focused on, "God said this so it must be right," my entire paper was 3 pages of nonsence. Looking back on this now I believe that it should have been a warning sign.

Then, I relised taht I shouldnt be reading a bible in History Class. I relised that some of what I was thinking was nonsence. I told my mom about these thoughts. Later I found out that it was one of the happiest moments of her life to know I was out of what I had relised was a cult.

So I stoped being a "Jesus Freak" a term I had grown to call me own, and I started to be a normal guy that goes to chruch and doesnt believe most of it. Then one day while sitting in church I took a different aproach to what the pastor was saying. It then became aparent to me that he was a brilliant speaker. The words that he spoke were not so much those of a traditional church, one that tells of the bible alone. His words were those of a politician. He would slip certain phrases into sentences in such wonderful ways that his awdience was oblivious. His mastery of the spoken word is without flaw, and it was then I relised that it was Pastor Keith, not Jesus who was the reason for the sucess of the church.

I then asked my father who had been giving away 10% of his paycheck to the church for 2 years, a paycheck taht allready had to go from supporting 4 people to supporting 7 people, how much money the church made in tytheing each year. The number astonished me, over a 2 million, yes this one church in Freeport was a Multimillion dollar corporation. Though it was clear that 1 church was not enough for them, so they branched out. They created a new "campus" in the elementary school of my town, a town with 2750 people. Within a year of that the amont of people who attended the south camus raised from 60 to 250, nearly 10% of the population of my town, a town that allready had 7 or 8 churches.

The number of people in the church has forced one of the two methodist churches to go on sale. That church is the same church that I had attended when I was young. I was one of the original churches in my town and now it is being forced to sell. Why? Because the corporate church is better at brainwashing people into going there, into believeing that they are loved and accepted by all. Createing a sence in them that they are better then others because gthey are saved, it has elevated to the point taht they look down on anyone who does not go to cross roads.

How bad is it getting? Well this one church in Freeport Illinois, that has a campus in Polo, Illinois and one in Joe Davis, Illinois; is now moving its primary church to Denver colorado. That is right. This cult that is designed to consume peoples lives for the purpose of them giving money to the church is going to be in colorado. There I am sure that it will consume the people of the area, while at teh same time getting detached form the original area it consumed. Leaving the mumbleing church going idiots to watch their Savior Pastor Keith On a 10 foot projector screen.
Good thing I got out of that mess.

:dubious: Wow... That is a really big paragraph. I read it (contrary to belief) and it made no sense except "Jesus Freak" and "My Church". The fact that they are making money is wrong, churches should be for worship only.

I cannot comment on that post because it is absolutely dumbfounding.

Spiritual Corporations are very heinous criminal enterprises.

I'm glad the Catholic Church does not do this.

CivGeneral said:
I'm glad the Catholic Church does not do this.

I have a question on wealth to ask you about the Catholic Church:

If your Church preaches so much about giving to the poor, then why are the Vatican and all of the Cathedrals around the world so rich? They are filled with wealth, majesty,beauty, et cetera. They could have a great deal of their wealth sold and aid a portion of this world's poverty.

Please explain this CivGeneral.

If ever we needed to start taxing the churches now is the time. Compare that small town church to an established multinational church like the catholic church with its reach. These organizasions suck untold (because they are tax exempt) amounts of money in. They should have to pay the same as any other buisness that sells a product. I always found it arrogant that catholic chuches are so richly adorned. How can you demand piusness but have so many gold clad cups and crosses. Its strange too how there are mega-churches that seat thousands of people. Buildings that big are not cheap. I wonder were the catholic church would sit on a list of wealthiest corps. if it was mad to play by the rule? I bet it would be on top by alot.

Yeeek said:
I didn't read this forum much the past few weeks, what happening with all the religious threads?

It would be strange to not have a bunch of religious threads. This ones diffrent then normal because it focuses on the corpret mentality of churches. Its no diffrent then Wal-mart or Exxon/Moblie.

Tycoon101 said:

If your Church preaches so much about giving to the poor, then why are the Vatican and all of the Cathedrals around the world so rich? They are filled with wealth, majesty,beauty, et cetera. They could have a great deal of their wealth sold and aid a portion of this world's poverty.

Mainly its from donated funds to maitain the church and cathedrals themselves. The workmanship of the statues and figures are all donated to the Church itself through the passage of time. This is also the same thing for the Eastern Orthodoxy Church.

skadistic said:
I always found it arrogant that catholic chuches are so richly adorned. How can you demand piusness but have so many gold clad cups and crosses.
Actualy, thoes gold crosses and cups are mainly used in liturgy rites, not as a status of wealth.

skadistic said:
I wonder were the catholic church would sit on a list of wealthiest corps. if it was mad to play by the rule? I bet it would be on top by alot.
Actualy, the Catholic Church would not be listed in the list of the wealthiest corps.

skadistic said:
If ever we needed to start taxing the churches now is the time. Compare that small town church to an established multinational church like the catholic church with its reach. These organizasions suck untold (because they are tax exempt) amounts of money in. They should have to pay the same as any other buisness that sells a product. I always found it arrogant that catholic chuches are so richly adorned. How can you demand piusness but have so many gold clad cups and crosses. Its strange too how there are mega-churches that seat thousands of people. Buildings that big are not cheap. I wonder were the catholic church would sit on a list of wealthiest corps. if it was mad to play by the rule? I bet it would be on top by alot.
Tax the churches and they suddenly become a VERY powerful force in the government. The lobbyist army would not be far behind. Leave it as it is.

If a man wanted to become rich, he'd be stupid to become a pastor. Most pastors I know are good men of God, but dirt-poor.

Tycoon101 said:

I would concur with at least some of what CivGeneral said. Over time, wealthy people seeking to show their faith through material means would give large sums or pieces of artwork. A lot of it also goes back to when the Church was more...politicized in a way, more involved in the affairs of states as well as a having quite a number of politicians within its ranks.

What you say on selling it all and donating it...it's an interesting thought...though I wonder if it would mean less money in the long run than people giving a donation when completing a pilgrimage to see such things.

I have done an extensive search on this regard to clear up any misconseptions on the "wealth" of the Catholic Church at Catholic Answers and also at EWTN.

Michelle Arnold Michelle Arnold said:
According to Vatican correspondent John L. Allen Jr. in his book All the Pope's Men, one reason that the Vatican doesn't sell off such treasures is that the Vatican doesn't believe that the treasures are the Vatican's to sell. They are considered the patrimony of mankind, entrusted to the Vatican for safekeeping, and cannot be sold or borrowed against. Indeed, the Vatican values them at one euro each for purposes of internal bookkeeping and spends a great deal of money to preserve the treasures for future generations.

If such treasures were sold and the money given to the poor, that money would soon be gone and mankind would be culturally impoverished by the loss of such artifacts into private hands. Besides, it is not offensive to religious sensibilities for a Church to maintain such beautiful treasures for the glory of God. If the Temple in Jerusalem could be richly ordained in order to glorify God and to inspire human worship, the universal Church of God can be richly ordained for the same purposes.

Source

Dr. William Carroll @ EWTN said:
Larry said:
Catholic Church Wealth
How would you answer a non or anti catholic about the wealth of the Catholic Church especially the Vatican? The assumption is that this may have been obtained by taking advantage of others.

Thanks, Larry
Any such assumption is totally unfounded. The task of the Church is to convert and bring to Heaven every human soul on earth. To accomplish that task the Church needs all the money it can justly get.

Source
In summary, it has to do with the Culture of the Church. Much like there are museums filled with expensive and rare artifacts. If the church sells off thoes treasures and artifacts, Catholics would be culturaly impoverished. Much like if you sold every single treasures and artifacts in a museum.

CivGeneral said:
Actualy, the Catholic Church would not be listed in the list of the wealthiest corps.
If it was listed, it would top the list. The Catholic Church has an extraordinarily massive amount of assets.

Of course, comparing it with a corperation is not really that apt.

CivGeneral said:
I have done an extensive search on this regard to clear up any misconseptions on the "wealth" of the Catholic Church at Catholic Answers and also at EWTN.

In summary, it has to do with the Culture of the Church. Much like there are museums filled with expensive and rare artifacts. If the church sells off thoes treasures and artifacts, Catholics would be culturaly impoverished. Much like if you sold every single treasures and artifacts in a museum.
Oh, that's very much a valid reason. But it doesn't change the fact the Catholic Church his a supremely massive net worth.

Perfection said:
If it was listed, it would top the list. The Catholic Church has an extraordinarily massive amount of assets.
But you have to stop and think that their assets are mostly cultural treasures and artifacts that are virualy priceless. If you had someone from the insurance agency to aprase all of the Catholic Cultural items, it would worth a lot of money. But in reality, the Church would not be listed in any Forbes top 100 list.

Does the Catholic Church make products and sell them? No
Does the Catholic Church offer services at a cost? No
Comparing Megacorps with established religions is like comparing apples and oranges.

CivGeneral said:
But you have to stop and think that their assets are mostly cultural treasures and artifacts that are virualy priceless. If you had someone from the insurance agency to aprase all of the Catholic Cultural items, it would worth a lot of money. But in reality, the Church would not be listed in any Forbes top 100 list.
Why not? Other then the fact that it's a nonprofit/religious organisation and thus not eligable what seperates it from one of those businsess.

Top Bottom