CIA finally goes too far?

Gary Childress

Student for and of life
The director of the Central Intelligence Agency, John Brennan, issued an extraordinary apology to leaders of the US Senate intelligence committee on Thursday, conceding that the agency employees spied on committee staff and reversing months of furious and public denials.

Brennan acknowledged that an internal investigation had found agency security personnel transgressed a firewall set up on a CIA network, which allowed Senate committee investigators to review agency documents for their landmark inquiry into CIA torture.

Among other things, it was revealed that agency officials conducted keyword searches and email searches on committee staff while they used the network.

The admission brings Brennan’s already rocky tenure at the head of the CIA under renewed question. One senator on the panel said he had lost confidence in the director, although the White House indicated its support for a man who has been one of Barack Obama’s most trusted security aides.

CIA spokesman Dean Boyd acknowledged that agency staff had improperly monitored the computers of committee staff members, who were using a network the agency had set up, called RDINet. “Some CIA employees acted in a manner inconsistent with the common understanding reached between [the committee] and the CIA in 2009 regarding access to the RDINet,” he said.

Asked if Brennan had or would offer his resignation, a different CIA spokesman, Ryan Trapani, replied: “No.”

Why are they not calling for a trial for whoever is responsible, whether it be the director or the independent personnel? This is a MAJOR admission of guilt and MAJOR Constitutional offense as I see it. :eek:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/31/cia-admits-spying-senate-staffers

For all of those who are against limited government, it should not come as a surprise.

For all of those who are against limited government, it should not come as a surprise.

Actually it should. Public service doesn't necessarily = we must spy on everyone in the country. It's an easy fix. Just stop dumping money on the CIA, NSA and all the other agencies out there which have too much money and not enough to constructively do with it. Maybe the CIA employees were just twiddling their thumbs and decided, "hey let's put our skills to use and see if we can spy on the Senate."

I wish people would stop with all the "big government" BS. just stop dumping so much money on the policing agencies and the military and put more into helping the poor, the disabled, education, environmental measures, cut back on some taxes, etc. IT"S NOT "ROCKET SCIENCE!"

EDIT: And spend more on health care and on more benevolent science programs.

Every time the public thinks maybe the CIA has gone too far it turns out the people who got caught were just trying to catch a glimpse of the CIA advance party that is way further out than they were.

Every time the public thinks maybe the CIA has gone too far it turns out the people who got caught were just trying to catch a glimpse of the CIA advance party that is way further out than they were.

What does the above mean??? :confused:

It's a joke, but too arcane I suppose.

There is a line called 'too far'.

The CIA sends people over the line. They go so far beyond the line your head would explode if it even occurred to you what they are doing. They are so far out that even the CIA can't really see what they are up to, so some more guys go over the line looking to at least get close enough to see what they are up to. Those are the guys who got caught over the line.

Another Obama legacy.

Another Obama legacy.

This would never have happened if Obama didnt authorize the CIA to torture in order to obtain information on Iraq WMD which lead Obama to invade Iraq on false pretext
Which then cause Democrats to investigate the CIA for wrong doing and overreach. Clearly Obama was trying to "cover up" this CIA torture program which he personally authorized.

They need to impeach Obama immediately !

This would never have happened if Obama didnt authorize the CIA to torture in order to obtain information on Iraq WMD which lead Obama to invade Iraq on false pretext
Which then cause Democrats to investigate the CIA for wrong doing and overreach. Clearly Obama was trying to "cover up" this CIA torture program which he personally authorized.

You left out the great crash of 2008 which he also caused single-handedly and the botching of Katrina and his destroying basic civil liberties with the Patriot Act..

Well crud, I guess I have to eat some massive crow here :(

From what I read, it was just an accusation by her with nothing to substantiate it. Sounds like lefty politics trying to discredit the CIA.

And four months later, it seems Obama agrees with me since his Justice Dept found no "sufficient" evidence (translation: Feinstein is a kook) to warrant doing a damned thing.

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

Remember folks, this is the lady who thinks integrity means ensuring nobody but her own bodyguards should get to have guns. Is it really surprising she'd make up accusations to try to discredit the CIA?

I don't think Obama would be so stupid as to actually interfere with a Justice Dept investigation. Yes, I'll give him credit since it -is- in his administration, but the Justice Dept is fairly independent nonetheless.

Basically, Feinstein made up a story to try to discredit the CIA for some reason.

I'm sorry Sen. Feinstein! Looks like they really were spying on you.

Actually it should. Public service doesn't necessarily = we must spy on everyone in the country. It's an easy fix. Just stop dumping money on the CIA, NSA and all the other agencies out there which have too much money and not enough to constructively do with it. Maybe the CIA employees were just twiddling their thumbs and decided, "hey let's put our skills to use and see if we can spy on the Senate."

I wish people would stop with all the "big government" BS. just stop dumping so much money on the policing agencies and the military and put more into helping the poor, the disabled, education, environmental measures, cut back on some taxes, etc. IT"S NOT "ROCKET SCIENCE!"

EDIT: And spend more on health care and on more benevolent science programs.

Rocket science is a lot less complicated than a government that needs to keep in line a government that needs to keep in line a government that needs to keep in line a government that needs to keep in line a..... The more money and resources you give it, the further it flies and protects it's interest. Why is it a surprise that when you have to spiral down so far to see who is actually pulling the strings, that it would not backfire eventually?

Oh dear, spies are actually spying...Who'd have thunk?

Errr no: the torture thing is another Bush legacy.

So was everything else mentioned. I thought it was probably sarcasm.

for not prosecuting the people who did all that

Maube I've missed something, but are you saying that the crossing the line is spying on the goverment? If so, why is that the point where they go too far? They spy on the rest of us, why should being in the govenment make you specially immune to that?

Maube I've missed something, but are you saying that the crossing the line is spying on the goverment? If so, why is that the point where they go too far? They spy on the rest of us, why should being in the govenment make you specially immune to that?

Well, technically the CIA isn't supposed to spy on anyone in the US. That's what the FBI and DHS are for. Of course the NSA spies on everyone, everywhere.

Well, technically the CIA isn't supposed to spy on anyone in the US. That's what the FBI and DHS are for. Of course the NSA spies on everyone, everywhere.

Given the CIA's track record though, there really is no low they won't stoop to. Although, learning just how low that actually is can be surprising.

Top Bottom