Cinemod - The Blind leading the Blind

wuhjah

Prince
Welcome to the Cinemod.

The Cinemod is a movies themed mod that I made for Civ III Conquests. But, before we get into the story of the game, I'd like to provide a little back-story so that you may have a little bit more understanding as to how this came about.

As mentioned in the Cinemod post, I haven't been playing Civilization III that many years. I played, IIRC, Civilization II and Age of Empires back in the late '90s but then my life moved on and games fell out of it. Around five years ago I bought a Wii and played Dawn of Discovery and fell back in love with managing my own empire. Funny enough, pc games weren't even on my radar at that time. Then I got a new colleague who introduced Civ III to me. I loved it, got my own copy and we started playing online. For us, there was no cultural victories, moral victories, diplomatic victories or anything else. You crushed or got crushed. Every now and then we might spice it up with an elimination game, but always we went back to what we liked.
Then I happened upon the maps included with PTW and realized I could make my own. I did. And we played.

Also around that time I found Civfanatics. In my three or so years of lurking, I never once found my way into the customization forum. Not once. I don't really know why. Perhaps I was intimidated and thought mods meant you really had to modify your game. I really didn't understand how they worked. I did read things such as the strategy articles and threads in the general forums.

Then one day, who knows how or why, I did end up in the customization forum. I saw some mods had robots and stuff. Yep, I needed robots, Mech to be more specific. I first downloaded some mods, but these were still in the historical genre. Played them a bit and went back hungry for more. Then, I think, I was reading about the 10th Anniversary Awards and I saw mods about space and zombies and other weird stuff and knew that was for me. I know it may be heresy to actually say, but for me the play style including the management holds more allure than the actual historical aspects.

Naturally, this led to that and I started finding funny units like the soccer player. I needed a mod with a soccer player. I needed a mod with Kool-Aid man. I needed a mod with dinosaurs, robots, ufos and every other unit that had more than just history going for it. Don't get me wrong, I like some of those awesome battleships, planes, tanks, etc. too. It's just that I didn't care what time frame they were from, only that they looked cool when I was running across the screen to kill my civ buddy, and those pesky AI civs of course.

Since necessity is the father of invention, or in this case modification, I set out to make my own mod with those units that I wanted to play with. My first step was to pillage the civfanatics database and take and take and take. I had so many great units swimming around in a folder on my computer. I needed a way to get them all together though. So, I just thought about it. I won't waste time talking about my first idea, but in the end it led me to my second idea, that was a movies themed mod.

I knew it was going to work. I knew I loved playing on the old Dominatrix map from PTW and knew I would base my map on a similar idea. You get to build up your own territory with little interference and then try to take territory from another. Other modders or writers or creators of any sort may understand what I say next. It just came out. The Cinemod built itself. I merely provided the hands that the mod needed to construct itself. It may sound weird, I don't know, but it's how it happened. I sometimes had technical questions or problems to solve, but I never had any doubt about what to do next. The answer was always there before I even asked. And thus the Cinemod produced itself into existence.

Well, at this point I knew I had to give it back. Earlier I mentioned taking and taking. Working with the units and graphic files others produced made me realize the time and effort they really put into their work. This stuff was real quality, something I also was realizing mine wasn't. Despite my highest intentions, I just did not have the talent, skills, or experience to produce even a luxury icon like they could. Anyway, I knew I had to give it back and give them and others a chance to see their work used. Whether anyone ever played it or liked it, well, that would be out of my control.
So, I finally finished to a point and put it up.

If you think you'd like to give it a try, the mod thread can be found here.

Finally, I seemed to have a little spare time this week and while deciding to play another round, I figured I would do this story to give others, perhaps those who will never play the Cinemod, a chance to get an inside look.

We're going to get going here with this story very soon, but there are a few more things to mention. First, I'm sure it won't be a story as much as it will just be a play by play with me detailing things as I see them or explaining my actions and plans. How long is goes depends, of course, on how well I do. You are welcome to root for me or any other production company that stands in my way. Things are bound to get personal.

Naturally, I titled this story "The Blind leading the Blind" because I'm a mediocre player at best. Anyone is welcome to correct me or suggest other things, though in this case they'll probably be after the fact anyway. I'm stubborn and like to play my way. Winning is second to having fun. So, if ever you're scratching your head wondering what this guy is up to... yeah, it's just because I like messing around. And, I do make mistakes. I have already made a few in this game.

So, let's get things started.

Cinemod - 12 Movie Studios - Cinemod Map - Monarch level

Here is the title screen that you won't ever see unless you restart to a new game.
Spoiler :

I played most of my test games with Lions Gate Films and actually made that civ specifically for myself. But, I never won. In order to win one I stepped down to Regent level and switched to Tristar Pictures owing to the fact that they had militaristic and industrious traits.

So, this game I will continue with Tristar Pictures and hope the luck keeps up.
Spoiler :

If you don't know anything about the Cinemod, the first thing you have to know is about the map.

The thing about a map like this is there are no secrets here. You know what you have to do from the beginning. Some may not like that idea, but it works for me. Knowing what needs to be done and getting it done are often two different things.
One more small note about the map is that a Movie Studio can build movie sets on jungle and grassland, but not on plains or mountains.

Another thing, just before we begin is the terminology used in the Cinemod. Much of it is intuitive, in my opinion, but I'll clear a few things up first. Civs are now studios, production companies or whatever I call them at that moment. Cities are movie sets. Units are characters. Workers are actors. Improvements are props. Techs are scripts. Got it? If not, just refer to the Civolopedia whenever you have a question.
Spoiler :

One final note: I have kept most the saves but it seems one or two may have been overwritten. I won't post them unless some asks. Moreover, I didn't check "preserve random seed" before playing, but ask if you want one attached.

Alright, let's get this started.

And so it begins.

Spoiler :

I got the idea for that title message from CCM by Civinator. And before anyone calls me out for my camera trickery, yes this first pic is not from my game. I didn't think to take one of the first screen when I started so I went back and took one later. You can see the territory has changed.

I started and have just built the third movie set; as Studio trucks are auto-produced every 8 turns in the Cinemod the first ones came pretty fast with nothing much to report. To build movie sets, the Cinemod has Studio trucks. They have 2 movement points which may be overkill in the beginning of the game, but come in handy later when one must begin to send them to other territories.

I chose Tristar because I had good luck with them creating many leaders in one of my previous games. Their traits are Action and Documentary, (that is militaritic and industrious. This "Civ" was basically created for my Civ buddy as he always plays using China when we play online.)

I have just fought off a band of Dirty Scoundrels. That seems easier with the Action traits. I've had more difficulty when playing with other movie production companies that had different traits. With Barbarians (the Scoundrels) set to raging, they are an early game threat that one must look out for. Losing a Studio truck at anytime will set development back by eight turns. I mentioned the traits briefly, but to add a little more, all traits have been renamed and some are excluded from the Cinemod. For example, Agricultural and Seafaring traits no longer exist while Commercial has been named to Blockbuster. The other traits include Sci-Fi, Cult Classics, and International. I think you can figure out what they are and how they relate to the original Civ traits.

The Tristars were given the Braveheart script to start. I immediately began reading Kindergarten Cop because I've found the Great Library easy to get in the Cinemod. Don't worry. The advantage given from the GL doesn't last long, so it's just a little bonus time to help build some troops and build the infrastructure. As well, we just received Tomb Raider from a goody hut. A lot better than what usually comes out - Dirty Scoundrels.
However, I will come back to reading that line of scripts as first we need to get some Ninjas from TMNT to put out into the center of the map. Ninjas have longer movement points than others, treat all terrain as roads and can enslave. Thus they are naturals for the job.
Spoiler :

The Main Studio is working on The Foot Clan small wonder which will auto-produce Ninjas and I have already built the prerequisite Screen Actors Guild. I then built a mill to help production. This prop (improvement) is only useful in Despotism, but useful nonetheless to get things going. Right now there is nothing to build but actors (workers) and more characters (units.) I know from experience the AI is building characters, so we'll start doing the same. We have gone back to reading scripts with the Great Library in mind.
Spoiler :

Horses have just appeared on the map, so the next Studio truck will go there. I do need to think ahead about where exactly I'm going to build though. I want to make sure I get the water for my harbor but also I should stick more movie sets in there later. Each movie set can only grow to a maximum of 14, so I need to maximize my placement. I'm not quite a CxxC guy, as I feel it's a little crowded, but I try to get them as close as I can.
I will admit that horses or some other resource will generally be found around these areas as I was trying to entice the AI to build near water. I like naval battles as much as the next guy.
Spoiler :

We just finished reading The Shining, and naturally I'm going to try and get the free tech from Being John Malkovich. That we can use to get Dead Poets Society and start building the GL.
Spoiler :

New studio, so we are immediately going to build the SAG. Not only is this the barracks allowing veteran troops, but will allow me to re-base characters and airdrop later when I begin the invasion.
Spoiler :

Dirty Scoundrels are tough. This one has already hurt, thankfully not killed two Tutankhamun's Brains. I also know there must be a camp just up into the fog of war. I'll start sending more characters that way and fortify some around to maintain visibility.
Spoiler :

Ari gato! We have completed the small wonder The Foot Clan. As it produces Ninjas, I'll be sending them out to the middle. I also plan to build a few actors to start building a road to the middle. Hopefully, the Ninjas will enslave some actors who can then start from the middle and begin roading inwards.
Spoiler :

There is a Dirty Scoundrel camp just as I had imagined. It will be left to be dealt with by the next group of characters and now we'll go try to close off the choke-point with the forward character.
Spoiler :

I know I will later build a studio between TS Screenplay and TS Casting (near the gold,) so I don't really want to cramp TS Screenplay too much. (It will need plenty of shields later in the game for our naval characters.) I'll go ahead and build on the horses and later build another to close in the corner.
Spoiler :

We need scripts and we need them now. Pink is what I am reading at the moment, so that I may build some Food trucks to help the movie sets not on the river grow just a bit quicker. (You will see that each territory has exactly one river running from the front to back.) As well, I know this script is usually difficult to get through trades. After that I will think about either The Fast and the Furious or Robin Hood to start my way onto other characters or Breaking Away for the small wonder Quarry Bombs. I haven't yet decided...
Spoiler :

With that, we come to the first save at 1930 BC. Unfortunately, this is one of the saves missing.

I'm actually a few saves up from anything posted and the reason I say this is, things are pretty hairy at the present moment. I need to turn the momentum back if this story is to go much further...

(I actually have some time off of work this week so the beginning will go very quickly. The latter part maybe a little slower.)

Jumping back in,

Finally, Tut's brain arrives at the choke-point. I will fortify him here and wait for reinforcements. We don't really want others coming into Tristar territory, do we?
Spoiler :

I know others may cringe, but I'm a builder/manager at heart. Well, that is when I'm not a warmonger. So, I like building props while building characters to slowly build up a strong infrastructure. When I played regular Civ, I liked mid to later Golden Ages after I had a serious economy going with lots of production. (Every Studio has a second or third era UU in Cinemod. Sorry to all you who like it nice and early.)
Despite my expectation to get the GL, I'll go ahead and throw in a library here while other movie sets are building characters and actors. (I know later will come a time where I need everything I can get to stay in the script race with the AI.)
Spoiler :

Some hard choices to be made. Blue scripts are possible choices. I can go for Breaking Away, which would allow the small wonder Quarry Bombs. Iron Man to see iron on the map. Fast and Furious to get things rolling. Devils Advocate to get courthouses or the Great wonder My Cousin Vinny's Suit which would put courthouses in all our movie sets. Robin Hood to get Robin Hood and The Knights of Sherwood Forest. Other non-choices, for me anyway, are Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Animal House and History of the World Part 1. I say non-choices because I think they can either wait for later or we can get them by trading or via the GL.
I think we'll go for Breaking Away as it produces some free characters I can use in the first invasion, whenever that time comes. When I say free characters, I mean that any character auto-produced in the Cinemod will have no upkeep costs.
Spoiler :

The Cinemod starts off with the ability to airdrop/paradrop and rebase/transfer characters between movie sets. Only a few characters do have the airdrop ability, though. For now, I'll just airdrop up a few squares to save myself the walk.
Spoiler :

The Foot Clan has trained the first Ninja; look at that movement. In the same turn another Studio truck was produced and I'm going to send him mid-way, that is to the second choke point from the middle/center area. If I haven't already mentioned, the Ninja has no nationality, is invisible and can see invisible. They are not invincible but you can rely on them to get your early work done (if necessary.)
Spoiler :

Apparently, a neighbor, Lions Gate Films, saw our character standing on the edge of the territory and decided to make contact. I won't trade with him just yet.
Spoiler :

As soon as I get to the center I find a gang of Dirty Scoundrels hanging out. We'll leave them alone and hope the AI takes care of them. It seems the AI always loves to fight them. I just want to get to the actual center to increase our visibility and meet other production companies. And, I don't want to risk losing a Ninja just to get a few coins.
Spoiler :

What terrible luck, I find another encampment. I think we'll just wander around for a few turns.
Spoiler :

Wandering was the right choice. We meet our second production company. I'll try to meet a few more and begin trading.
Spoiler :

I think I'm going to go for Devils Advocate to get the Courthouse wonder, and hopefully we'll be able to get The Fast and the Furious and A Beautiful Mind in trades or via the GL. If not, I will read those next because I want the Heavy Crossbow with its ZOC.
Spoiler :

Our Studio truck is in the right place now. I could go up a little more to center, but I don't want to have to defend a movie set yet. We'll keep it back a little allowing us to rebase characters a little closer to center. You can see there are two actors roading their way as well.
Spoiler :

We can now see Miramax has quite a few characters out here, but I'm not yet sure which territory is theirs. Maybe we will build an embassy soon to rule them out. I'll keep looking around for now.
Spoiler :

Quarry Bombs is finished. We'll stockpile these "boulders" to use when the time comes.
Spoiler :

We have met another production company. I'll keep looking around and start looking for trades.
Spoiler :

New Line Cinemas will give me FF for The Shining. I think the others would give Temple of Doom. That's a good start and (maybe they will pay for the embassies and save us the gold.) As well, I'm almost done with the GL so it's not as big a risk to give away The Shining as I felt it was before.
Spoiler :

We just received FF from NLC, TOD from LGF and now we will get Iron Man from Miramax. In addition we got 200 gold in the other deals.
Spoiler :

The GL is ours. Now I will spend a little more effort to meet all the other production companies. However, one must remember that in The Cinemod, there are two distinct distribution lines. First that means that there is another GL for the other production line, that is the Foreign Distribution Channel. Secondly, there are only five other movie studios in our production line, that is the Domestic Distribution Channel. Moreover, some scripts (techs) are shared and some are identical but cannot be shared. None of that changes the fact that we need to meet others to get more, so that's what I will do.
Spoiler :

This is about midway through the next save, but we'll call it a day.

Thank you all for your interest. It would be a lie to deny actually having someone read makes the writing more worthwhile.

Picking up where we left off...

Iron appeared on the map after the last trade, so I diverted the Studio truck to settle near the iron. I don't recall all the characters that have iron as a prerequisite, but that information can be found in the Civolopedia if anyone does want to know. Still, I should put a little thought into the best location. I want some overlap but I will want every movie set up to 14 later, so I will put it here.
I've found New Line Cinema characters are everywhere in the center, at least 6 characters so far, but still not positive where they came from (just because they were holding that one choke-point doesn't mean it was theirs. The AI likes to block all choke-points that it finds. As well, we just got our first two Knights of Sherwood; sent to front line. TS Soundstage finished its SAG so I can now rebase units closer. Not knights though, they'll have to run on all four.
Spoiler :

We just produced the first Quarry Bomb. I'll stockpile those like mentioned earlier, but also send a few to the front line in case I see some red-lined Dirty Scoundrels or other characters to put out of their misery. QBombs have no nationality and are invisible, by the way, so others will never see it coming. This is all the better for instilling fear into those who do survive and live to tell of it.
Spoiler :

The Dirty Scoundrels seemed to be making a move, so I air-dropped a Brain on the mountain next to them revealing another production company, MGM. I sold them The Shining for 60 pieces of gold and am hoping they will come sort out the Scoundrels for us.
Spoiler :

I just found The Matrix from a goody hut. That may change the plan. Perhaps I will try to trade for the others I had previously talked about (Beautiful Mind etc.) and work on Troy to get the Temple of Doom (Great Wonder) which would put a temple in every Tristar movie set. What can I say? I like to keep the people happy.
Spoiler :

I check the range on the QBomb and it is sufficient to protect our front door, so I'll be stockpiling half up here. The other half I will move to the sides of Tristar territory in case our neighbors get any crazy ideas.
Spoiler :

I found Paramount fighting some Dirty Scoundrels/Soccer Hooligans, losing too from the looks of it. I traded The Shining for Animal House. At this rate, we may never even need the GL, but at least we kept it from them.
Spoiler :

Met 20th Century Fox and I will start parking/fortifying some units around the center just to keep an eye on things.
Spoiler :

Here, we can basically see 3 redundant props (improvements.) The Spa, the Tobacco shop, and the Props warehouse. All increase the happy faces produced by luxuries. In fact though, they each have their own requirements and won't present themselves to everyone or to every movie set. The Props warehouse is because we have the Action trait. The Spa is because the set is on a river. And, naturally, the Tobacco shop is because we have that resource available. Of course, I'll just build the cheapest, the Tobacco shop.
Spoiler :

We just received 300 from the GL and now can build The Great Gate, The Oracle, or My Cousin Vinny's Suit. I'm gonna take the Suit and leave the others to the other movie studios. Thanks to the 300, I will, however, build some aqueducts when I get the chance.
Spoiler :

Nothing to see here, except our Ninja is gone. During the IBT, an Assassin found the Ninja and killed it. On the bright side, we got A Beautiful Mind from the GL and can now build Heavy Crossbows.
Spoiler :

Save at 1890 BC

(In real-time things aren't going as I had hoped...and I wouldn't have it any other way.)

And the show must go on...

I have built already up to the second chokepoint and you can see some actors connecting it by roads. I will leave the last chokepoint for later. In my experience, if I build out there too early, it's like challenging the AI to a fight. There's plenty of time for fighting, but I need to get ready first. For now, in the bottom of the screen (and the territory) you can see I will start filling in the open space, starting with TS Casting and TS Screenplay. In the meantime, the Ninja in the center has met two more production companies. Neither had anything to trade. It seems we are fairly advanced with scripts (tech) and gold, but I'd be a fool to imagine it will stay that way.
Spoiler :

Two things to note in the center, the AI production companies are doing a lot of running around to fight Dirty Scoundrels and to investigate the area. Why they always do it with so many characters, I'm not sure. Anyway, it gives a clue to their numbers. As well, another Assassin has shown up. These Assassins are just like Ninjas with no nationality and invisible. Being there proves the AI will build small wonders (from non-required scripts) to auto-produce units.
Spoiler :

We're going to read Frosty the Snowman, actually a TV special and not a movie, because I know the AI will read the others and I will get them via the GL. In the meantime, it would be good to get another free unit, that is the auto-produced Snowman from the small wonder The Great Christmas tree.
Spoiler :

There are three companies missing. I will have to search them out. We are more advanced technologically than everyone, so I will slow down a little. As well, I will spend some of that extra money to start building embassies to help me workout the exact locations of everyone. I know it may seem early, but I imagine there will be war starting soon, so I will check the troop counts and focus on building those as needed.
Spoiler :

Heaving read Jerry Maguire, we can now build casting agents which have the enslave ability. Good fun. This idea was basically taken from the lawyer (obviously) in CCM.
Spoiler :

Started with the embassies. Seems Colombia is still a little behind, they did build the prerequisite International Actors Association, that is the Foreign Distribution Channel's counterpart to the SAG. Warner Bros, on the other hand is a bit more advanced. We can see they are producing Assassins with the Professional Academy and they are working on My Cousin Vinny's suit. That doesn't matter for two reasons. One, they are in the Foreign Distribution so it wouldn't affect me. Two, we'll be done with ours in about two turns. Finally, for this turn, we have 20th Century Fox. As advanced as WB, they've built nearly every prop including the Prof. Academy.
However, it seems they haven't found horses or iron yet...
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

MCVS is done. It's a pretty great wonder if anyone asks me. Putting a Courthouse in every movie set on the continent, which means the whole Cinemod map saves a lot of time and trouble later.
Spoiler :

Well, it has started. And once it starts in the Cinemod...
Anyway, we still need to find out who the neighbors are. I know LGF is on the left; haven't yet found who is on the right.
Spoiler :

Someone decided to have a go at our Ninja. In reality, I think they just run into him (because they can't see him) on accident and that starts combat. Anyway, we have a free actor to put to use. I will send him over to build a launch pad (airfield) and then be able to re-base units all the way to the other side of the center.
Spoiler :

Any preferences on the picture size? I could use the 1024x768's instead of resizing down if it matters to anyone...

Our Ninja has now enslaved two actors. The two on the left of the screen will be used to build launchpads or just fortified to keep an eye out. The one on the right I am going to send into our neighbor's territory to finally find out who it is.
Spoiler :

We have finished the Great Wonder The Temple of Doom which puts temples in every movie set on the same continent, the whole map. As well, during the IBT, more have tried to kill our fearsome Ninja only to be enslaved. Seems there might be a lot of actors willing to work for free today.
Spoiler :

The actor has arrived to find the choke-point blocked leading me to believe it was MGM beside me; an embassy confirmed this. On the next turn I will also check LGF and see who looks just a little bit weaker and more ripe for invasion. It's almost time.
Spoiler :

I have re-based a Tutankhamun's Brain to the launch pad. We will undoubtedly lose this at some point, but as previously mentioned, I like to keep an eye on things. It may come in handy later...
Spoiler :

It seems MGM and Miramax might also be in war. That would be good news for us. I would like MGM to be weakened if they are to be our intended target. I still haven't decided...
Spoiler :

Well, apparently I wasn't paying attention and already lost one launch pad. There's quite a bit of muscle around. If I can slip in and kill one or two, I'll try. We can't take on a whole group with one Ninja, though.
Spoiler :

At the top of the screen you can see our injured but victorious Ninja. I'll get to him next turn. What I just realized is, in the center only one mountain has road and perhaps that is why so many characters run into me and initiate combat. I will move him to the other mountain to stay out of the way. There are just too many coming through now and if one injures him, another will finish the job.
Spoiler :

We have completed the small wonder The Great Christmas Tree which will auto-produce Snowmen. Unfortunately, during the IBT, MGM and Miramax declared peace. I need to get busy soon, but I still haven't committed to an exact plan of action.
Spoiler :

I have built an embassy in LGF to investigate. It seems we are all pretty evenly matched. We'll keep building troops and get the cities on either side ready for airdrops.
Spoiler :

Well, United Artists are occupying our launch pad, but I know those characters don't have the para-drop capability, so that's not to say they are actually using it. After our Ninja regains his strength, I'll see about getting him back. I am walking an actor up to give him a little cover.
Spoiler :

MGM has come to our front door with a SkullChucker, but it seems they just have the two for now. Are they gonna get things started or pass on by?
Spoiler :

Save at 430 BC

I'm glad to hear you have your ticket for the show.

For this update, I'm going to use the 1024x768 pictures, instead of resizing down. The others fit the screen nicely, but I felt were lacking in clarity. I'll try these and see if it's any better.

Let me thread the projector real quick...

Starting up, those two MGM SkullChuckers kept moving, for now at least. I guess we have a bit longer to prepare. You can begin to see lots of characters finding their way to the center. We are reading the last script of the era which, of course, brings Monarchy for a new government. I suppose we may just wait for that before declaring, but, to be honest, I was hoping to be underway and to take care of the first round of business under Despotism. We'll take another look at things when the new era begins.
Note: I forgot to mention on one of the previous turns, around 500 BC to be more specific, our sets were hit by the Joker.
Spoiler :

I thought deeply about spacing this one tighter, so that we could even squeeze two movie sets into the same area, but decided against it. I figured with room on the other side, we'll be able to get around 16 movie sets and that's enough for me. 17 wouldn't necessarily make me any happier and I would feel bad having them so tight only in this one location. So, it's being built there and a few tiles will probably get wasted.
Spoiler :

We've got a look-out now right on MGM's front door so we can see what's going on behind the scenes. I just turned all research to zero to build some cash and to try to get the last tech via the GL. If it doesn't come in a few turns, I'll probably start our research up again.
Spoiler :

I, personally, can't remember if this happens in the regular CIV Conquests game (I haven't played regular CIV in a long time,) maybe someone else can weigh in, but always right around the switch in eras, there is a huge barbarian/Dirty Scoundrel uprising in any shaded areas. This is the reason I have left characters fortified around our territory. If the AI didn't (which they didn't), they will be busy for a while. I haven't yet seen the Dirty Scoundrels but will post a pic when I do.
Spoiler :

And here they are. I sent a Ninja to get a quick look. I used him because he has enough movement points to return as well. This is one stack, but there is no doubt that there are more around and even in the AI's territory. I will try to stay out of it and let them work it out, but I imagine a few Soccer Hooligans will come our way to start trouble. They always do. (4.2.2 not too shabby, eh?)
Spoiler :

It looks like Miramax wants to take on the bulk of the work clearing out the Soccer Hooligans. I'm going to spend our money earned from not researching on building more embassies.
Spoiler :

New Line Cinemas is doing okay. They've built just about everything. It always amazes me that they won't move one space to build their capitol on a river. But, knowing that, I put the start locations one space away from the river. Humans Rule, AI can suck it.
Miramax seems a little below average, but who knows? Maybe they will come on strong later. There is one more studio that we haven't met. We'll have to find out who they are when we get a chance. Whoa! United Artists are cruising and looking dangerous.
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Just finished Shooting on Location: Hawaii, a small wonder. It will auto-produce either a Sopwith Camel or a Japanese Zero in a few turns. Unlike the AI, we'll stockpile them to use to clean up some red-liners lingering on the battle site. The AI usually uses them in defensive strategy if an enemy comes in range. These characters are CM (cruise missile) types.
Spoiler :

Well, it has been happening for a little while, but I didn't mention it much. Now, it seems I must. Many of our movie sets have been struck by The Joker. The Joker is not too dangerous, but will mercilessly kill a few characters just the same. Gonna just have to ride it out.
We've turned on our signal light.
Spoiler :

We've just built an embassy in the last known production company, Paramount Pictures. There are two more unmet companies, but not a great concern. If they haven't come into sight yet, presumably they aren't doing too well. Considering that might make them a viable target is overshadowed by the fact that they are on the other side of the map and I'd rather start taking over land near our base territory.
The buildup of troops continues for the time being.
Spoiler :

Our advisor has notified us that 20th Century Fox has completed the Great Wonder The Maze Gardens. Actually, it's a bit surprising as not only does it mean they have read Coming to America, it means they have read it awhile ago. I guess we need to get back into researching. Those I was relying on to provide the script through the GL aren't going to help us out after all.
Spoiler :

We have enough defenders up front for now, so I have sent a Studio truck to the last choke-point before the center. I will send one more Studio truck to start building in the center, then place the next two (probably) inside the territory to fill the empty space. An alternative to keep in mind is to send one more and block the first choke-point in an enemy's territory. I guess my mind has been made up that MGM and not LGF will be our first target. I'm preparing to start the invasion very soon.
Spoiler :

MGM has blocked the choke-point to the unmet production company. When our Ninja has recovered, we will break down the front door and go inside to investigate.
Spoiler :

Save at 250 BC

I'm definitely looking forward to reading of the further adventures of Tri-Star. I did have one question. Is there some reason why you can't build a scout galley (or whatever the Cinemod equivalent is) to explore and make contact with other civilizations (or studios in your mod?) Or does the unique mod map make that impossible?

I'm definitely looking forward to reading of the further adventures of Tri-Star. I did have one question. Is there some reason why you can't build a scout galley (or whatever the Cinemod equivalent is) to explore and make contact with other civilizations (or studios in your mod?) Or does the unique mod map make that impossible?

Good question, especially as that idea just came up in the mod thread. Harbors can be built with Pearl Harbor which is at the very end of the first era. With this improvement, a studio could build a Sea Monster and begin looking around. Sea Monsters are at risk if they leave coastal tiles, but there is coast going all the way around the map.
Spoiler :
sea monster civo.jpg

However, I didn't really want the AI or people to do that. Call it controlling or whatever, but what I wanted and intended was that everyone should have to go to the center to meet. So, knowing even that the timing was late, I only gave the Sea Monsters one movement point making it an exercise in futility. Meaning you could meet them faster by going to the center of the map. (I admit they are (purposely) quite useless and said so in the Civolopedia. I have made one for fun, though.)

You can see that in my last update, I had already met most of the studios by the end of the first era anyway. So even if I allowed a galley with 2 movement points on the first tech, you probably couldn't meet them all much faster... Remember, you wouldn't be able to build on the coast until your 2nd, 3rd or 4th Studio truck had been auto-produced.

And, finally, I'll add that meeting others is exactly what Ninjas and Assassins are for in the Cinemod. They have huge movement points and treat all terrain as roads. This is referenced in a picture in post #7.

I appreciate your interest and there's no doubt others wondered the same thing.

Rolling film...

It seems some Dirty Scoundrels have built an encampment right where I want to put our next movie set. It also seems the other movie studios aim to get rid of them. That's fine, and just as soon as they do we'll occupy that tile and hold it for a Studio truck.
Spoiler :

We just cleared out MGM's John Kimble and got an actor for our labor. I'll use it to block the choke-point and send the Ninja in to make friends...
Spoiler :

Sub-plot: 20th Century Fox just broke through United Artists' front-line defense. All the looky-loos came running to see. I don't think they'll get too far in before UA sends another wave to rebuff them. As usual, we'll keep an eye on it.
Spoiler :

Still no production company to be found; perhaps that stack of Soccer Hooligans has something to do with it. We're going to keep looking, but I might also uncork the choke-point and let some other studios in to do their thing. We won't mess with the Soccer Hooligans if we can avoid them.
Alright then, just one more step was all it took. We've just met Touchstone Pictures and now to send our Ninja back the way he came. Note:the picture meeting Touchstone was unfortunately overwritten.
Spoiler :

Well, I had just decided it was time to make our move. Here is/was the basic strategy. I was going to try to pay Miramax to start a campaign at the front door while we para-dropped over the wall and started working on the back of MGM. However, Miramax just refused. Perhaps they are still on their 20 turn declaration of peace. I will now try New Line Cinemas. If everyone refuses us, we may just have to go in alone. Of course, I wanted MGM to have to send most of their troops to the front lines and then to catch them with their pants down.
In a seemingly rare occurrence, I just had 5 movie studios all turn us down. I don't know if they have some personal feelings toward MGM or what. Anyway, we'll keep building the troops for the imminent turn.
Spoiler :

We've just finished reading Coming to America and we're not at war, so I guess I'll make the switch to Monarchy. One note before the change: the Great Library becomes obsolete with Crocodile Dundee, so we have to avoid reading that. It won't matter. It always seems the AI go to read it first, thus giving it to us and obsoleting the GL at the same time.
Spoiler :

A whole new set of scripts to read. To begin we could read End of Days, Anaconda, Arachnophobia, King Kong, or the aforementioned Crocodile Dundee. I want to build the Necropolis small wonder so we will start with End of Days. The Necropolis has a short life span, will become obsolete with Angels and Demons, so I would like to have it for as long a time as possible.
Spoiler :

Just that fast we lost the GL (on the IBT basically.) That's not good news as it means there are other companies who are clearly more advanced and we can't get any of those advancements.
Spoiler :

We've secured the location I wanted for our first movie set in the center. A Studio truck is en route, but I will hold off a few before building. As before, we don't want to have to defend it yet and I want to get through Anarchy first before fighting.
Spoiler :

We are in Anarchy, so not too much to report. Two small things of interest, I've seen someone produce their first Crocodile from the small wonder Uluru that comes from reading Crocodile Dundee. As well, New Line Cinemas seems to be sending everything they've got (not really) to take care of those Soccer Hooligans in Touchstone's territory. I sure wish MGM would do something like that.
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Save 90 BC

Act 2 Scene 1. Action!

Ha! Had it been anyone else, I might have considered. That's a lie. We've been gearing up to get it on and I don't think we've got the gold to spare. Anyway, here goes our refusal. Let's see if he kicks things off or backs down like the cowardly lion from The Wizard of Oz.
Spoiler :

Yup, there you go. Well, as soon as we're out of anarchy it's going to get started anyway. There isn't much time to waste and if we wait too long he will continue to get stronger.
Spoiler :

I just selected Monarchy for our government style. Apparently, we're almost broke. We need to build some movie sets, take some over, or reduce the cast as we can't even afford to do any research. This turn I will make sure everyone is in position.
Spoiler :

Ninjason has been sent to scout the area around MGM's front line. If the area were a little less populated, we would have sent a Studio truck and built on their first choke point. That seems not to be. I'm going to start marching troops to the front while arranging two columns of para-dropping Brains.
Spoiler :

Roll Call: (front line)
6 Trojan Chariots
1 Robin hood
1 Braveheart
4 Knights of Sherwood
4 Heavy Crossbows
4 Snowmen
2 Casting Agents (and about 10 more assorted to hold our convoy line.)
(12 more to defend the front line of TS Special FX and also responsible for short-term backup until more troops arrive.)

Rear Support:
15 Quarry bombs
5 Sopwith Camels

Ready on launch:
29 Tutankhamun's Brains
Secondary positions to move to launch:
14 Tutankhamun's Brain
5 Quarry Bombs

Our troops are moving up and you can see our first celebration of "We Love Movies Day" happening in TS Soundstage. No fireworks or balloons in Cinemod, we shoot off surface to air missiles when we celebrate! We'll wait two more turns, or so, to declare to let a few movie sets finish the props they are currently working on.
Note: One must also remember that not every unit has the re-base function. Many must be physically walked up to the front lines, so waiting a few turns will give us a little time to get the character chain started.
Spoiler :

Uluru is finished. Having finished reading Coming to America, we are able to build The Knights of the Round Table (small wonder) which will auto-produce...what else but knights? Other movie sets I will set to wealth for a few turns while some longer term props get finished. A few will build defensive characters and when I know what we need, then I will resume production of offensive characters and props as needed. If it hasn't been noticed already, the strongest defender is now the Titans Gladius or Titans Thunder. We will upgrade John Kimbles when we have the opportunity and money to do so.
Spoiler :

We are building a movie set in the back and the next I will send to the front. Those eight turns come quite a bit slower now. Remember, we also have one Studio truck on the front line ready to move out when I feel it's not in danger of being overrun.
We're going to start this campaign, Operation Lion's Den on the next turn. Get ready. But, I'm going to go get a cup of coffee first, so you'll have to wait...
Oh, I almost forgot. We went into the positive on the gold the last turn, but I sent it south again. As we switch some sets to wealth and lose a few members of our cast, God bless them, the money will roll in a little faster and we can research and save money too.
Spoiler :

Save 10 BC

Top Bottom