Circumcision to be banned in San Francisco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent 1337

Chieftain
Looks like there's a good chance that circumcision will be banned in San Francisco? Could this be the first step towards banning circumcision in the entire United States? Do you think male circumcision should be illegal or not?

SAN FRANCISCO — A group opposed to male circumcision said on Tuesday they have collected more than enough signatures to qualify a proposal to ban the practice in San Francisco as a ballot measure for November elections.

But legal experts said that even if it were approved by a majority of the city's voters, such a measure would almost certainly face a legal challenge as an unconstitutional infringement on freedom of religion.

Circumcision is a ritual obligation for infant Jewish boys, and is also a common rite among Muslims, who account for the largest share of circumcised men worldwide.

The leading proponent of a ban, Lloyd Schofield, 59, acknowledged circumcision is widely socially accepted but he said it should still be outlawed.

Read more: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42784426/ns/health-kids_and_parenting/?GT1=43001

That's great. It's barbaric.

If you want your dick mutilated you should be able to get it mutilated, once you turn eighteen.

Yeah it'll be thrown out as quick as you can trip a fiddler off the roof.

The article certainly doesn't make it look like it's a 'good chance'. Looks more like a petition...

How can anyone stand to live in that city?

It'll raise awareness of antisemitic activity in San Fransisco, yes.

Around here, many doctors refuse to do it, so the Muslims have to do it themselves. With many miserable results.

Do you have any evidence that the people trying to pass this bill are anti-semites or are you just trolling as usual?

That's great. It's barbaric.

If you want your dick mutilated you should be able to get it mutilated, once you turn eighteen.

This.

I oppose elective medical procedures being performed on an individual who cannot give informed consent, no matter what "God" says. If there were some objective data showing that circumcision provided a great benefit to the child, that would be a different matter. But such data does not exist, so to hell with barbaric stone age rituals.

Do you have any evidence that the people trying to pass this bill are anti-semites or are you just trolling as usual?

I am not saying that those who are trying to pass this are antisemites, just that banning Jewish religious practices is an antisemitic activity.

It should be the person's choice, when they become an adult (or possibly even a teenager) and they decide they want to mutilate their penis, then they can do so. Parents shouldn't force their infants to have it done to them at birth.

It should be the person's choice, when they become an adult (or possibly even a teenager) and they decide they want to mutilate their penis, then they can do so. Parents should force their infants to have it done to them at birth.

I think you might want to re-phrase that last sentence. You kinda did an about face there.

Ideologically, I have an issue with circumcision. As a 'victim' of it, it just doesn't bother me. A huge majority of the people I know who're circumcised just aren't bothered by it. It's the uncircumcised who tend to be bothered.

So, I dunno. My feeling is that it just isn't really harmful, even though we'd think it should be.

I was talking to a friend of mine in Azerbaijan on the phone the other day and he was at a circumcision. The two boys got it at the same time and I could hear one of them crying in the background. When my sister was in Morocco she was in a village and there was a boy having a circumcision done, he was crying and asking why they were cutting him. One of my friends in Turkey mentioned when he got it he couldn't ride his bike for a week. It's all a really barbaric practice to me. Why would God create humans with foreskin if he wanted them cut off? I heard that Jewish people used to just make a cut and not remove the whole thing.

Ideologically, I have an issue with circumcision. As a 'victim' of it, it just doesn't bother me. A huge majority of the people I know who're circumcised just aren't bothered by it. It's the uncircumcised who tend to be bothered.

So, I dunno. My feeling is that it just isn't really harmful, even though we'd think it should be.

Same here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom