Circumnavigating the world

+1 movement to all ships.

Plus, discovering the other continent first can give you a tech advantage if any civs are left on your continent. If you're a savvy trader.

+1 movement to all ships doesn't always seem like a big deal, but try blitz destroyers with 9 movement. They destroy stacks all by themselves. Heheh.

Even in the age of the galleon, if you're moving men/material 15 turns (60 squares), +1 movement drops it to 12 turns. It's not an amazing advantage, but it's definitely advantageous.

I find it also helps in running away from a fight.

thanks guys. i was always wondering what it did, or if it was just for fun. i am going to start doing it.

If you can get a fast tech lead going, and get Privateers out, I find that circumnavigation helps them to stand up just a little longer against Frigates - the extra movement helps them evade and get back home, where you can upgrade them. I've actually heard one or two people here claim Privateers as useless without the circumnavigation bonus.

Can someone explain the whole circumnavigation thing to me? Do you have to get a boat to go all the way around every land mass possible in a square and meet up where it started? That can be really annoying with Archipelago. Or do you just basically outline the square map with two ships meeting at the opposite end?

If your map has revealed at least 1 tile for every horizontal coordinate, you win circumnavigation. They don't even have to intersect. Hell, you can actually get it via map trade, especially if you trade for a map without trading away your own.

Circumnavigation let's use SoL instead of frigates and still be able to catch the frigates. With Ragnar you can get circumnavigation and actually use ironclads to run down frigates.

For amphibious invasions, circumnavigation can be the difference in being in range to attack the turn you declare.

If your map has revealed at least 1 tile for every horizontal coordinate, you win circumnavigation. They don't even have to intersect. Hell, you can actually get it via map trade, especially if you trade for a map without trading away your own.

This is why they changed it in Beyond the Sword. It is no longer called circumnagivation, but rather you proving the earth is round. That's all you have do... get a map from one side to the other by any means nessecary.

So you can just go dead straight from the top corner of one side of the map to the top corner of the other side to get it? That's pretty stupid.

So you can just go dead straight from the top corner of one side of the map to the top corner of the other side to get it? That's pretty stupid.

If you start, for example, at the top left corner and sail left, you'll wrap around and be at the right corner of the map. You will not, however, gain the circumnavigation bonus. To get that, you have to illuminate at least one square in every column of squares on the map before any AI does. You can gain the bonus by any combination of land travel, sailing and map-trading. The "classic" strategy for doing it is to sail two ships in opposite directions, ideally from opposite sides of your county.

I find it's pretty easy to get the bonus at Prince leve, as the AI doesn't seem to prioritize it.

I find it's pretty easy to get the bonus at Prince leve, as the AI doesn't seem to prioritize it.

I find I can acheive it on most Monarch level games, haven't tried it yet in anger on Emperor.

Its on my list of priorities, along with Oracle, Liberalism, Astronomy. I find the +1 movement a huge bonus, obviously this is a magnified on a watery map...

+1 ship movement over other civs on huge maps is a godsend during the mid-game (frigates/galleons)

^^^Intercontinental settling, colonies, early cross-oceanic wars, utilizing Ragnar's Berzerkers beyond what they were designed for :). The most I can think of is New World settling for Terra-style games. That's where being the first to astronomy really pushes through strong. And also for trading purposes as the AI loves Astronomy.

I usually will use my Liberalism slingshot for Astronomy (if I'm playing a war-like game believe it or not). I'll use my already large army and upgrade all my galleys (built specifically to upgrade as soon as I get Astronomy) to send over an invading force to start my world domination. If I'm being more peaceful, I'll grab up printing press with it for the extra commerce.

Top Bottom