Citadel Troubles

Mobfire

Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool
I am trying to capture the Aztec's capital, which is adjacent to an ocean that I have no access to and no alternative ways of getting to. Luckily, I was able to forward settle them pretty decently and purchased 2 tiles so that I now owned a tile only 1 tile away from their capital (crazy, since it was already the end of the classical era). I sent my great general there to build a citadel, but it tells me I cannot. The tile is jungle hills, and there is also a worker there in the process of building a road.

Is this on purpose? I searched for a while online and couldn't find an answer. Either way, it's extremely frustrating. I should be able to build a citadel on my own land, period. It's the Aztecs fault they let themselves be open to that, so I should be able to strategize and use that to my advantage. Instead, I spent 150 gold for nothing.

I really don't have very many other options either. They have a city just South and North of their capital, so I can't fit very many units in or around to assault the city in any other way without being crushed by the combined might of the city damage + garrisons + reinforcements from either city. And naval is not an option either since I have no access to the sea. The Aztec dromons make any units along the coast last a very short amount of time too. I am pouring 100% of my production and economy into my military and this war is still looking bleak.

The game will not allow you to build it because there is no way other than through combat that Capitals can be taken.... sorta a game rule.
-jeff

it won't take the capital though, just one of the tiles next to it. I don't see how that breaks any game rule.

The game will not allow you to build it because there is no way other than through combat that Capitals can be taken.... sorta a game rule.
-jeff
I think you misunderstood. I think he is not saying that he should be able to capture the city tile with the citadel. The layout is: enemy city tile - 1 enemy tile - his tile, where he wants to build the citadel (and extend his territory right next to the enemy city tile)

Like Bascule said, cancel the worker, then build the citadel. Since you mention it's the end of the classical era, this is probably moot, but you must have Iron Working to build citadels on jungle tiles (and Machinery to build on marsh tiles).

I do have iron working. Citadel still won't build even when I cancel workers orders and move them to a different tile.

Do you have Iron Working? You cannot put Great People Improvements on spots you can't clear, like you won't put one on a forest before Bronze Working, on jungle before Iron Working, march before Machinery.

Take a screenshot.
Ding ding ding ding ding. When you give vague questions and issues, we can only give you vague answers.

I played earlier this morning and figured out that there was still a worker there, but due to a graphical error I couldn't see them until I moved every other unit out of the way. After cancelling the worker and moving it to a different tile I was able to construct the citadel. Kind of a pain to have to do, but all's well it ends well. Thanks for the help everyone.

I played earlier this morning and figured out that there was still a worker there, but due to a graphical error I couldn't see them until I moved every other unit out of the way. After cancelling the worker and moving it to a different tile I was able to construct the citadel. Kind of a pain to have to do, but all's well it ends well. Thanks for the help everyone.
Just click on the tiles repeatedly and you'll shuffle through units.

Top Bottom