Citadels

swimslave

Chieftain
Can citadels be captured and used by a player who did not build it? Seeking an answer in two ways:

1. Can they be captured and used while the citadel still lies within the hex of the civ who built it?
2. Can they be captured and used if the hex where the citadel was built is taken by an opponent who did not build it?

The second possibility is most interesting to me because you could actually capture and use an opponents citadel by placing one of your own next to it (since your borders will extend around it).

it's effective for the civ that owns the hex so it is captured only when the hex becomes yours, you can capture the city near it or build another citadel next to your border and next to it.

In the case of the counter-citadel, that will be very deadly to opposing units within one hex of both of them.

I can definitely see this tactic being used in a multiplayer game.

Even the AI will use citadels to take over human player citadels. I've had it done to me enough that I'm a little wary of the AI at times. So much so that I'll wait until I have a 2nd Great General at hand if the AI has one marching about.

In the case of the counter-citadel, that will be very deadly to opposing units within one hex of both of them.

Yeah lol I see and use it in mp all the time. It can get a little ridiculous, ive seen 5 citadels all places in consecutive turns, each flipping and un flipping the neighbors. It's the secomd best "unconventional" way to use a citadel, after using them to "drill" a path to an enemy capital, of course.

I thought Citadels didn't stack. Which is to say, an enemy unit within range of two citadels you own still only takes the damage of one citadel, not both.

Could be wrong, though, as this strikes me as the sort of thing that might have changed with a patch at some point (in which case I obviously didn't notice :( )

Yup, they can be captured and used once you gotten the offending border city in your hands

Now whether it'll be useful later on, that's another question eh

And they are literally a great way to start wars. I believe quite a few NQ folks will DOW you and take that GG if you show one up near your mutual borders

Spoiler :

I thought Citadels didn't stack. Which is to say, an enemy unit within range of two citadels you own still only takes the damage of one citadel, not both.

Could be wrong, though, as this strikes me as the sort of thing that might have changed with a patch at some point (in which case I obviously didn't notice :( )

Citadel damage doesn't stack, but by extending the damage range/area of control, multiple citadels can make all the difference in crowded terrain.

Yep Citadels can be a pain to break, particular in mountain/hill passes. There have been fights where I have been stuck in small terrain overpasses with like 4 citadel flips. Its useful to always carry a few mounted units and workers near those fronts to pillage/repair citadels when you get the chance.

I had an interesting scenario with a citadel in a recent domination game I played as Germany. I had captured one of Siam's cities and popped a citadel to make his elephant-flooded capital easier to take. I was razing the city I captured and without thinking I accepted a peace deal for another 2 of his cities, which I also started to raze. By the time the peace treaty had ended and I begun assaulting his capital, his cultural borders had reached the tile which had the very citadel I used against him. :crazyeye:

It was easy enough to pillage and then forget about, but it certainly did catch me by surprise for one turn.

in the thread about the great wall, some one suggest a interesting tactic of using a bunch of citadels/GG to punch thru the great wall boarders.

in the thread about the great wall, some one suggest a interesting tactic of using a bunch of citadels/GG to punch thru the great wall boarders.

I usually prefer to just wait until Artillery/planes hit the field to take someone out with the GW. Unless that civilization is a critical capture early in the game, then citadel spam works nicely.

Yes especially if you push to the city with the Great Wall and capture it :D
I also like to get a citadel next to an enemy city, then it kills the garrison.

If you plan on using any siege weapons, this is critical. They'll get knocked out before they even fire if they're trying to slog through Great Wall land.

I have several strategies for working around the Great Wall.

1) Paratroopers and Bombers (if the game goes that long) for blitzing and capturing the city with the Great Wall on the 2nd turn of the war.

2) GGs to form a chain of land into enemy territory, as the quote alludes to.

3) In coastal situations, rush naval melee and ranged units in to take the city quickly.

In all of these cases, GGs are the best option, so long as I can have one left after I get to a point where my siege units can reach. Frigates and privateers are really necessary for a naval blitz, and waiting until paratroopers is an eternity even in Standard-paced games. Hence, the GG option is the most feasible in Marathon games by far, and is still the earliest option in most other situations.

That said, if played peacefully up until wanting to attack the city with the Great Wall in it, then having enough GGs may be an issue, especially if you actually do need to have one left over to stand a chance.

Top Bottom