1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Cities can no longer receive yields from more than one regional building per type

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Artifex1, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Artifex1

Artifex1 Warlord

So basically should you build just one industrial zone per 3 or 4 cities that overlap (within 6 tiles)? Am I reading this right?

2. TomKQT

TomKQT Prince

Yes. And I think it should have been this way from the start and the stacking was a bug. Devs always said that cities are specialized based on their districts, but before the patch everybody was building industrial zone in every city.
    Districts are even more expensive now, so you build only some of them. But I havent played yet, so cannot tell how it works in practise.

Stilgar08, c4c6 and Martin_K like this.
  3. ThERat

ThERat Deity

This is especially terrible for amenities, that are already so hard to come by. If you are a warmonger, entertainment complexes were a way to alleviate this shortage. Now, they nerf that...very bad move to make an unplayable game even worse

Zuizgond and Jabulani like this.
  4. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

1) Exempt if you have good spot surrounded by mines (gettng +3-5 prod.)
    2) Have Industrial city states as allies (+4 prod. from district is good)
    3) Use policies that enhance industrial districts (that means +8 prod. from industrial city state allies and more with many mines)

Still, even with those conditions, it could happen that such city does not "need" factory or power plant, since another city is sharing its bonus. Which is kinda weird.

I would expect at least some benefit of having local factory, even if another is in range.

EDIT:
    Actually, that factory can still be useful, if district is placed as such to benefit some 3rd city in its the range, but oustide in the range of the city that shares factory bonus to the current city.

Of course, now IZ need to be better dispersed over map, instead being clustered to be most effective.

I think what is nerfed the most is Toronto range bonus, due to adding too much overlapping of the IZ districts, even if dispersed.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    jollywonk and Atlas627 like this.
  5. razmog

razmog Chieftain

Did it means each city receives its own factory / power plant yields (which is not regional) + 1 regional. Due to the production cost of everything, it seems we will still need to build them in every city.

6. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

No, city receives exactly one factory and power plan bonus, either local or regional, whichever is higher.

For example if you had Nikola Tesla added to IZ, then its factories and power plants add +5 and +6 production each, and this would replace factory and power plants bonus for nearby cities with IZ and their own factories and power plants, as well as add bonus to cities withou these buildings.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  7. Magil

Magil Monarch

This is exactly what I thought it'd work like to start with and it's a necessary change.

It might be useful however to have an alternative building for the Factory/Power Plant/Zoo/Stadium. They could do a lot with either-or buildings like the Barrack/Stable and Art/Archaeological Museum.

Atlas627, c4c6 and Martin_K like this.
  8. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

I agree. Currently, you can get into situation where building Factory/Power Plant may not do anything, exempt adding maintenance cost, if city overlaps with another IZ with these buildings and its own IZ does not overlap with some other city that does not already have regional Factory/Power Plant bonus.

Existing saved games are hit the hardest, due to clustering strategy of IZ being very popular.

Hukuma likes this.
  9. TehJumpingJawa

TehJumpingJawa Warlord

So IZ spam is still desirable, as it's still the only significant source of extra hammers (outside of trade routes).

They just don't scale so insanely going into the industrial age.

10. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Are we really sure that building a factory does not add production to the city that it built when a nearby city already had one? I can't check now. But this seems strange. I like if multiple factories and their regional bonus cannot stack, but the local factory still should be factor in every city, no? This would also mean you have to be extremely careful with placing entertainment complexes in your (close) core cities or they might be completely useless.

11. razmog

razmog Chieftain

someone said that on reddit/civ that's why I asked.

Anyhow, I just love how they put the minimum amount of effort to make that line understandable by their players. It's like "don't bother explain them this major change, they are stupid they won't understand anyways".

Jabulani and Zuizgond like this.
  12. Athmos

Athmos Warlord

Did someone test it ? Do we actually know if the cities own factory doesn't even count if another one apply a regional bonus ?

The change doesn't make sense to me. The escalating production costs in the late game means building late districts will be much harder, so large cities will suffer most from the penalty; so it will actually make lots of small size city better. Even more so with the amenity regional bonus so restricted, size 4-5 cities, only suffering a -1 amenity and able to build 2 districts, spammed to the end of the earth.

Much less planing in your civilization core, no tension between early game optimal placement and late game maximal overlap, what does Firaxis looks to achieve here ?

It certainly doesn't come from a "real world" comparison, where it certainly is very efficient to concentrate industries, which they seem to be aware of since they even elevated the Ruhr Valley to the rank of wonder of the world.

If we get production from the city district and one regional bonus, it will still probably be better to build IZ everywhere since production is king for at least two of the victories (science and military). If we only get one and only one, we will have to make do with building very few IZ since anymore will be useless.

In both case it just reduce the need for early game planing a lot, and I don't get what they want to achieve with this change ? Force the player to have only a handful of large cities among many small ones with the amenity restriction ? Shift the focus even more toward cash buying and trade caravans ?

13. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

Isn't the yelds from the city own own factory and regional yelds two separate things? I always assumed they are two separate things, so my guess is that the city get the production from its own factory plus the biggest regional bonus that reach it.

14. Martin_K

Martin_K Chieftain

good change. makes a lot more sense than the original implementation.

15. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

One thing we're missing about Toronto: With this, it actually might mean that you need to build less entertainment districts. So since we're always capped at 1 stadium, if placed properly with Toronto, you might be able to get away with just a single entertainment district (or a single industrial zone) to get the full bonus coverage.

While yeah, in most cases you'll be building enough IZ to cover your empire anyways, you could save a few hammers from being allied with Toronto by not having to build as many factories or zoos, production or districts which can go elsewhere. To me, allying with Toronto means I probably need half as many entertainment zones in my empire as I would have previously.

16. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

Yes, tested and confirmed. City can only have single factory bonus at the time.

17. Lucius_

Lucius_ King

I assume one factory/power plant can still cover multiple cities? I also assume one zoo/stadium can still provide amenities to multiple cities? So one factory can provide production for 6 cities if they are all in range, so essentially just one IZ per city "cluster"? As for the entertainment district, I always used these like this anyways. I never intentionally overlapped their coverage because I never really found it necessary.

18. Brutus2

Brutus2 Prince

I think this is a good change especially for the entertainment district. Until now I never felt the need to stay friendly with the AI. Between my own luxuries and the entertainment districts I never needed to acquire more luxuries from the AI. Now amenities may be a little harder to come by so trading with the AI becomes more important.

19. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

I think it just means only one factory or power plant per region, because that's the bonus that's not stacking.

So, any given city still needs an IZ, assuming that producing things is a factor in a given city's relevance.

And there's really no getting around that.

20. Amrunril

Amrunril Emperor

This is a really good idea. I'd suggest creating a thread in Ideas and Suggestions to increase visibility and potentially get some ideas for the alternate buildings.

More broadly, I think the restriction to stacking is probably a good idea, but each city should at least be able to stack its own local bonus with one regional bonus.