1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Cities: Skylines - Paradox Interactive Makes A SimCity

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by cybrxkhan, Aug 14, 2014.

1. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

So PI just announced they're making their own version of SimCity, basically.

Link to video.

Pretty cheeky how they bashed the new SimCity here and there ("play offline", etc). On the PI site they've listed some of the features:

So... Good? Bad?

2. Leonel

Leonel Breakfast Connoisseur

Looks good to me! Looks like it's based on the Cities in Motion 2 engine too which is pretty cool with roads and buildings. I've been making maps for it and thought several times this should be a city building game.

3. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

I want to get excited for this game, because it really does look like it can and will be good. It looks and sounds legitimately interestingly enough to justify a deeper look when it is release at least.

4. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

It definitely sounds interesting (and was unexpected!). Big maps and being able to play offline, that's two of the important differences from Sim City 5. Gameplay is the other key, of course, and it's hard to draw much from what we have so far. I tried Cities XL a few months back, and just couldn't get into it like I can with SC3K and SC4. Too little information and feedback, and thus too little immersion. Hopefully Colossal Order and Paradox can capture that magic that makes being a mayor in Sim City so fun, without the drawback of SC5, and with their own interesting changes.

This also means I need to play Cities in Motion, which has been sitting on my backlog for several months now.

5. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

I'm not expecting this to be amazing, but it is excellent to finally see someone trying to compete (CitiesXL is basically abandoned) with Sim City.

I'm rather pissed off that they don't seem to have any famrs though. What the hell is city sim game's problem with agriculture?

6. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

I can't help but imagine that somehow Paradox misunderstood all the request for more internal peacetime management in EU for requests to create a whole new game of nothing but peacetime internal management :p

7. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

I like that the trailer music sounds SimCity-ish. Or, at the least, it sounds better than the music from CitiesXL.

I hope that the gameplay is closer to SimCity than CitiesXL, I couldn't really get into the latter the way I did with the former for whatever reason.

It just needs to be as good as the new SimCity, which shouldn't be too hard, hopefully.

Hopefully they'll show it at a later time, all we have right now is a trailer with alpha gameplay anyways.

8. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

I welcome this attempt to reclaim the spirit of SimCity for all, as oppose to what EA did.

9. trader/warrior

trader/warrior Deity

Looks extremely promising. After CiM2, Colossal Order was just begging for a big investment to put a proven great engine for city simulation to proper use. Hope Paradox has thrown a good deal of money at this to get a properly polished product, and looking at the first screenshots of UI and such it does look like a vast improvement.

Colossal Order have made some bad design decisions IMO on earlier games, like the reliance on selling skins and maps as dlc rather than expanding and polishing core gameplay. Hopefully with a bigger budget, more established engine and SimCity5 as an example on what not to do, this won't be an issue.

I watched the livestream presentation, and I'm sure I remember Fred Wester mentioning farms at some point regarding Cities: Skylines.

10. Lights

Lights Warlord

Well you will get a DLC that enhances war, (the best part of the game) and improves ROTW.

This Thread should be titled Victoria III, I was expecting Victoria :cry::cry::cry::cry:

It looks really good this game, (at least it seems it won't be a Simcity failure)

11. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

Sim City 5 is too brainless. Simply stick down roads, zones, parks, import power and water and Voila, high wealth skyscrapers appear.

Anything must be better than that.

12. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Now I'm wondering whether we will be able to terraform our cities ala the old Simcity's god mode. Also, it doesn't seem like we are getting it but I really hope we get simcity 4-esque regions, but oh well.

13. Leonel

Leonel Breakfast Connoisseur

Well one of the features is you can make huge huge cities so I'm guessing it's an alternative to region play but they haven't disclosed by how huge a city you can make.

14. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

The city expansion thingy could be interesting, indeed, as it also seems like you can have specialized districts and what not, and I suppose it'll still definitely beat the new Simcity's tiny city sizes anyways.

15. scheva007

scheva007 Prince

Unfortunatly with paradox, you know it will have a ton of cosmetic and other dlc.....

16. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

As with any other company. It's the best system for adding content to a game.

17. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

The city-expansion mechanic could be interesting, and somewhat mirror how cities tend to actually expand. You kind of have it in Sim City 4 with a big city plot and not using it all at first, but unlike in real life all the land in your SC4 plot is technically part of your city from the beginning.

I don't think Paradox Development Studios has the bandwidth to do Vicky 3 right now. They're working on HOI 4 already, and they're also still expanding CKII and EU4, both of which it makes sense to expand as long as they have good ideas for how to do so. I wouldn't expect them to start seriously developing another new game themselves (as opposed to publishing someone else's game, and perhaps assisting a bit, as is being done here) until HOI4 is out or they stop releasing expansions to CKII, possibly both.

And I'm kind of hoping they eventually revisit Rome. I'd certainly be happy with an updated Victoria with a better UI, more to do, and a nice EU4-to-Vicky-3 converter (and, ideally, a Vicky3 to HOI4 converter, too, but I'd rather have the former). But EU:Rome ought to be redone at some point and brought up to Paradox's current standards.

18. Wolfbeckett

Wolfbeckett Jerkin' and nonsense.

Potentially interesting, but the arc of EU4's development cycle has burned any pre-order worthy goodwill I had towards PI. Hopefully this will be amazing but I'm gonna file it under the "Wait and See" category instead of the "Get Hype!" category.

19. calad

calad Emperor

Haha play offline :D Well learned paradox, my hopes are high.

20. SouthernKing

SouthernKing crickety cricket

I never played either CiM, but I've heard good things about the franchise, and I'll be following this one. I can say with full confidence it's easily going to be better than the abomination that calls itself after a classic gaming franchise, since PI isn't gaming-company-that-shall-not-be-named and isn't going to intentionally screw the game up :p

Interestingly, aside from Runemaster and HOI4, PDS is actually working on an as-yet-unannounced game known so far only as "Project Augustus." It's not clear what exactly this is, and the responses from PDS devs (expected of) have been vague at best and contradictory at worst. But they do seem to have the resources to pull off Vicky 3, and I really hope that's what they're doing.