Cities switching sides

carumba10

Chieftain
Noob here. I have been doing the battle scenario. Couple of questions.

1. I keep losing cities to the computer. Not by force. Why does this happen and how do I stop it ?

2. I keep getting sick faces. I have enough food but the sick faces put me in a defecit. There is nothing else to build to stop that when it happens ?

Thanks

1.You are losing cities because of culture.Culture is the purple note icon.Basically what is happening is that the other civilizations have a city close to your city which is producing more culture then your city.To combat this you need to build your own culture.

Build buildings that give you culture, buildings that do this that are also useful include Library +2 culture,Monument +1 culture and Theatre +3.

The problem may also be that you are building your cities way too close to the other civs, which make this problem even bigger, especially if you happen to put a your non capitol cities close to the other civs capitol city, which produces +6 culture right out of the gate because of the palace.

Later on you can also use the culture slider to increase your culture but this isn't that good of a idea.There are also a few other ways to build culture which I will let you discover by yourself.

So the solution is build your own culture or dont make cities too close to enemy borders.

2. Sick faces apear when unhealthyness is higher then healthy( The more population you have the higher the unhealthiness, for each point of population (the number next to the city's name) you get one unhealthyness and also for each jungle in a cities radius you get some unhealthyness, I think its 0.4 for each jungle.Certain buildings also produce unhealthyness, like forge, the same thing with the coal resource..

You get healthyness by connecting improved (that means you build the needed "building" on it) food like rice,wheat,corn with your cities by using roads, Some buildings increase healthyness like the granary and the supermarket.

By the sound of both your problems its looking like you are neglecting building buildings in your cities, you cant play the game by simple building units because at a certain point its gonna start hurting your cities and your game if you neglect buildings.

Buildings with the red cross symbol give you more healthyness in your cities.
Buildings with the purple note symbol give you culture, which expands your borders.
Buildings with the yellow smiley face give you happiness, which allows you to get more people in your city without people getting angry

By the sound of both your problems its looking like you are neglecting building buildings in your cities

Thaks for the reply. Like I mentioned though I had built every building that was available to me. It was a battle scenario and it was my 2nd city that was built. Didn't know where any other cities were. I will make note of the capitol city though because you are correct that the city i was close to was a capitol city of the enemy.

I rarely build a forge because I know it causes a + to sick faces...which I always seem to have too much of.

I didn't know about the jungle thing causing sickness.

If it was your second city a much more likely reason those cities swapped would be them asking to be part of another nation and you accidentally clicking to allow it (we've all been there :rolleyes:).

Having now looked at the scenario, the lack of :health: resources is the most obvious reason for sickness problems and on that map its always going to be a problem. There are a few things you can do to mitigate the problem somewhat;
  • Settle for the fresh water bonus (next to Rivers, Lakes or Oasis), this gives +2:health:
  • 4 of the available resources get a :health: each from Grocers, getting Guilds earlier than normal looks like a promising move.
  • Keep some forests around, your not going to be working all those tiles anyway.
  • Accept the lack of :health: will limit the size of your cities and get around it by building more cities closer together.

Also, you can press the Avoid Growth button to make your city stop growing. Its a tiny button to the right of the thing of all the things you could make in your city, down in the bottom right corner with all the other little buttons.

But oh god, do remember to unclick avoid growth as soon as you can grow that city again, you dont want to forget about it, it can be so annoying.

I overlooked the scenario part and the building part.By the sound of what Ghpstage said, it looks like the map itself is made to limittyhe amount of healthy you get, seeing as that is the case, you want more but smaller cities instead of less but bigger cities.

A forge may not look like a good idea, but dont forget about it completly in a city which produces a good ammount of hammers it can be well worth it to add one unhealty for the increase in hammers a forge provides.Then again it might not be a good idea in your current game.

Although it doesn't seem to apply here, be aware that floodplains in the BFC, although they give extra food, also increase unhealthiness.

....I keep losing cities to the computer. Not by force. Why does this happen and how do I stop it ?....

You could set up a custom game and select the option not to allow cities to switch sides.

Top Bottom