Citizen Poll - Change in Article I of the Constitution - The Census

Do you support the Constitution change detailed in the first post?

• Yes

Votes: 29 76.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Abstain

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
@donsig - The poll stays open until it gets a majority of citizens voting for it or against it. A change in census could give it an instant pass. This is something that may need to be looked at by Justice. Should the success/failure criteria and quorum requirements be "stuck" to a poll or should the current levels be used?

Commission wouldn't be based on something so dastardly. Bonuses might. :D

@everybody - Custom T's will have to wait until the store is up and running (or at least until Monday - I'm out of town over the weekend).

24 yes votes... kind of ironic that a quorum is needed to lower the quorum. :)

See the problem with such a high quorum?

The passage requirement for this is higher than the quorum because it's a proposal to change the Constitution. A law change needs 26 voters, this one needs 26 YES votes.

donsig and I have worked out a fairly elegant compromise solution. Unfortunately, I'm going out of town for the weekend and don't have the time to write up the proposal. I'll put it up on Monday if donsig doesn't put it up over the weekend.

When that one goes up I'll withdraw my petition for this one and it can be closed (it incorporates this one in a modified manner).

I thought 26 was the quorum...

:confused: (again)

Then again, I think we're confusing each other. :)

It already has 24 yes votes... just 2 more for the quorum, right?

Originally posted by Shaitan
26 is the quorum but Constitutional law doesn't use a quorum. It has a much higher requriement. Just law change and standard polls use that quorum.

Now I hope those who voted 'no' can see why the current law doesn't work. :)

ahhh.. ok.. I thought the quorum was the majority. :) (51% atleast)

Shaitan and I have a compromise proposal. I have posted the gist of the compromise here. When Shaitan returns I'm sure he will elaborate on the compromise proposal and also post the actual required changes that will be needed to the constitution and CoL.

Please look over this proposal and comment on it in the quorum thread where it is posted.

THE AMENDMENT HAS PASSED! The required majority of 26 yes votes has been met! The proposal is now law.

Article I of the constitution now states:
Article I: The average of the number of votes cast in each of the most recent contested elections shall constitute a census of citizens (the Congress). A majority of the Congress shall be required to amend the Constitution. A 2/3 majority of the Senate shall be required to ratify said amendment.

Top Bottom