1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Citizenship vs. hijabs/niqabs/burkas. Fight!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Puck Nutty, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Yes. And you do. Well, at least the bottom half of your face is bearded all the time.

The naked rambler, who had a beard, used to insist in making his court appearances in his natural state. The judges kept slapping contempt of court orders on him for it.

It seems like these judges are very picky about what people must or mustn't wear.

But come on Steve, put your pants on. You're frightening the horses.

2. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

Trudeau, much as half of Quebec want to pretend otherwise on a daily basis, was in fact a Quebecer and rather a product of the time and place. :p

That's the thing about Quebec. We're rather paradoxal. Half the time we're busy kicking religion out of government, working on how to legalize assisted suicide before the Supreme Court told Harper to do it, and being the first place in the world to ban discrimination against gays, one of the first to ban

And the other half we're writing charter of values, refusing to hear women in court because they're wearing hijabs, and nitpicking anglos over the exact size of lettering on their signs.

And often it's the exact same people for the exact same reason. (Take a people that have raised gender equality AND public secularism into the founding values of their homeland. Throw a hijab - or worse a niqab...or for that matter a Catholic bishop who think women should be having kids and caring for them...at them. Sit back and enjoy fireworks).

3. aelf

aelf Ashen One

Where were those laws during the Red Scare? That was during a time when means of governance and enforcement were not as advanced as they are today. The possibility exists. History doesn't simply repeat itself, but precedent is significant, especially when the conditions may turn out to be very similar, with mass paranoia and intolerance taking hold of public discourse.

I think you just don't know enough to have an educated discussion on such matters.

It's obviously not a literal expression.

4. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

Governance and enforcement were not as advanced as they are today. Yes, and that's exactly why the illegal acts that occurred at the time would be less likely to happen today. This is especially true when talking about the first Red Scare which happened before the ACLU existed. You might also mention that the incident about niqab at the citizenship ceremony occurred in Canada, not in the USA.

You really need to drop the arrogant attitude. You're not as smart as you think you are.

5. aelf

aelf Ashen One

Call me pessimistic, then, because I don't think the existence of things like the ACLU automatically means a liberal democracy cannot be perverted. Hell, we've seen enough examples of how American democracy, or at least American liberalism, can be helpless before abuses of power, for example in the War on Terror and War on Drugs.

You are also still not grasping the idea of trends, especially in a globalised context, if you think that what's happening in Canada does not have any relation to what is happening elsewhere.

I think we can call it a day here.

And you know that because...?

6. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

I agree that it's theoretically possible but we haven't really seen any evidence that mass deportations, pogroms, etc. are at all likely to happen. Perhaps in Europe with far right fascist parties but not in North America.

I disagree with your analysis, it doesn't mean I don't understand it. You're talking about a very minor incident in Canada. When you discuss globalized trends it doesn't mean you should throw away localized context and talk about it like all of this is going on in the same place and has the same significance.

Because in this forum you consistently have a nasty condescending arrogant attitude that comes across in your posts which causes me to think you have an inflated sense of your intellect. I'm not saying you're unintelligent, far from it, but I think you probably overestimate yourself in comparison with others.