City building destruction

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Realism Invictus' started by buck beach, Feb 28, 2022.

1. buck beach

buck beach Prince

Is there anyway to destroy your own cities building once constructed. I'm trying to better management my resources.

2. Walter Hawkwood

Walter Hawkwood RI Court Painter

Not really, Civ 4 never had these mechanics. And I don't really know the actual cases where a player would want to do it in RI - what exactly were you trying to achieve?

3. ObiMark

ObiMark Chieftain

There's Abandon Raze Destroy mod that can be easily incorporated into RI, just follow the instructions in readme

4. Walter Hawkwood

Again, I'm not sure why I would do that. I can't really think of anything but extremely niche situations when one would want to destroy existing buildings.

5. buck beach

buck beach Prince

Having played this mod (love it) for several years I am finally understand some basic resource management.. Without trying to go back with too much detail, there are times I build a building that utilizes or spends if you will resources that I need in the future for other more advance or important building productions. Take Coal, it is needed by 7 different industrial bldgs, starting wil a Brick Kiln that only produces Masonry Materials. May be off in my understanding here, I'll need that coal for more advanced uses later so I want to demolish the Kiln and recoup my coal.

6. Walter Hawkwood

OK, so I'll need your input here; where else should I put the information that converter buildings DO NOT consume the input resources, and any such resource can be used in an infinite number of different buildings? Every time someone gets this wrong, I try harder to bring this message home - through manual, through in-game hints... Where else and how should I inform players about it?

7. buck beach

buck beach Prince

Guess I still didn't have the concept as much as I thought. Old fart here just struggling through and having fun. Sorry.

8. Walter Hawkwood

My question still stands - as this occurs again and again, the concept seems to be counter-intuitive. I really wonder how I can make it more obvious.

9. buck beach

buck beach Prince

Well not sure, but, let me try to explain my confusion by using coal. Coal is necessary for 7 production buildings with the Brick Kiln using two to produce Masonry Materials. So since building do not consume resources, can I build each building in a city if I have a total of two Coal and can I do this for all my cities without limitations (aside from population and other advanced techs). I know I can't but not why not if the resource is not consumed? I have 8 coal and 8 Iron and I have 8 Steel Mills and can't build another, this is not hard to understand but apparently the resources are used or consumed. But as to my original issue of wanting to relocate one of these Mills (for whatever the reason) I do understand it is not possible.

Afraid I am showing my mental capacity limit here.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
  10. TheBirdMan

TheBirdMan Warlord

:goodjob: Welcome in "The Club" BB.

I had exactly the same question/non-existing problem some time ago. Walter explained it to me and I (now) do understand the concept and have no problem with it.

But the "mental" problem still exists. People in my age knows that ressources seldom are infinite and most often only can be used for a limited number of purposes/quantities. You will seldom find above working in the real world......

Edit:
    P.s.: By a second thought. It might be the word "consumes", that set a limit for our fantasy. Maybe a word as "needs" would set our fantasy free ;)

Fx: Canned Food Factory:
    Consumes 2 Fish and Iron
    Produces Canned Food
    Could be:
    Need 2 fish and Iron
    Produces Canned Food.​

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
  11. TheBirdMan

TheBirdMan Warlord

Or maybe add info about how this works in the starting advices. Then players will see it (and hopefully read it too) from time to time.

12. Walter Hawkwood

Ah, that would be a different problem altogether, just as relevant for certain vanilla buildings (relocating heroic epic?). But that has been a part of Civ 4 design philosophy - buildings are permanent and a part of your strategic decisions is to assign them.

Yes, you can totally build two copies of each coal-requiring production building if you have two coal.

But in Civ 4, resources are infinite. Using one iron, you can build an infinite amount of swordsmen. Why shouldn't you be able to build an infinite amount of swordsmen and smelt it to steel to build an infinite amount of tanks and use it for canning your fish as well? That's vanilla game logic after all - if a resource exists within your civ, it's considered enough for all your purposes.

Yup, good idea, maybe it's a language problem.

Thought I already did; but now having searched the hints files I see I didn't as of yet.

Snowygerry likes this.
  13. buck beach

buck beach Prince

I will just accept that it is what it is and go forward.

14. [Y]

[Y] Warlord

Can't check right now, but is this info currently visible in the civopedia entries for buildings that use resources?

15. Snowygerry

Snowygerry Emperor

It says Consumes 2 Wine.

Produces Alcohol.

It is true the word "consume" may cause confusion here when first playing - but it becomes clear quickly imho.

The wine is not consumed really - it is still available for trade for example, but then you lose the alcohol.