City building destruction

Not really, Civ 4 never had these mechanics. And I don't really know the actual cases where a player would want to do it in RI - what exactly were you trying to achieve?

There's Abandon Raze Destroy mod that can be easily incorporated into RI, just follow the instructions in readme

Having played this mod (love it) for several years I am finally understand some basic resource management.. Without trying to go back with too much detail, there are times I build a building that utilizes or spends if you will resources that I need in the future for other more advance or important building productions. Take Coal, it is needed by 7 different industrial bldgs, starting wil a Brick Kiln that only produces Masonry Materials. May be off in my understanding here, I'll need that coal for more advanced uses later so I want to demolish the Kiln and recoup my coal.

OK, so I'll need your input here; where else should I put the information that converter buildings DO NOT consume the input resources, and any such resource can be used in an infinite number of different buildings? Every time someone gets this wrong, I try harder to bring this message home - through manual, through in-game hints... Where else and how should I inform players about it?

OK, so I'll need your input here; where else should I put the information that converter buildings DO NOT consume the input resources, and any such resource can be used in an infinite number of different buildings? Every time someone gets this wrong, I try harder to bring this message home - through manual, through in-game hints... Where else and how should I inform players about it?

Guess I still didn't have the concept as much as I thought. Old fart here just struggling through and having fun. Sorry.

My question still stands - as this occurs again and again, the concept seems to be counter-intuitive. I really wonder how I can make it more obvious.

Well not sure, but, let me try to explain my confusion by using coal. Coal is necessary for 7 production buildings with the Brick Kiln using two to produce Masonry Materials. So since building do not consume resources, can I build each building in a city if I have a total of two Coal and can I do this for all my cities without limitations (aside from population and other advanced techs). I know I can't but not why not if the resource is not consumed? I have 8 coal and 8 Iron and I have 8 Steel Mills and can't build another, this is not hard to understand but apparently the resources are used or consumed. But as to my original issue of wanting to relocate one of these Mills (for whatever the reason) I do understand it is not possible.

Afraid I am showing my mental capacity limit here.

Last edited:
Well not sure, but, let me try to explain my confusion by using coal. Coal is necessary for 7 production buildings with the Brick Kiln using two to produce Masonry Materials. So since building do not consume resources, can I build each building in a city if I have a total of two Coal and can I do this for all my cities without limitations (aside from population and other advanced techs). I know I can't but not why not if the resource is not consumed? I have 8 coal and 8 Iron and I have 8 Steel Mills and can't build another, this is not hard to understand but apparently the resources are used or consumed. But as to my original issue of wanting to relocate one of these Mills (for whatever the reason) I do understand it is not possible.

Afraid I am showing my mental capacity limit here.

:goodjob: Welcome in "The Club" BB.

I had exactly the same question/non-existing problem some time ago. Walter explained it to me and I (now) do understand the concept and have no problem with it.

But the "mental" problem still exists. People in my age knows that ressources seldom are infinite and most often only can be used for a limited number of purposes/quantities. You will seldom find above working in the real world......

Edit:
P.s.: By a second thought. It might be the word "consumes", that set a limit for our fantasy. Maybe a word as "needs" would set our fantasy free ;)

Fx: Canned Food Factory:
Consumes 2 Fish and Iron
Produces Canned Food
Could be:
Need 2 fish and Iron
Produces Canned Food.​

Last edited:
My question still stands - as this occurs again and again, the concept seems to be counter-intuitive. I really wonder how I can make it more obvious.

Or maybe add info about how this works in the starting advices. Then players will see it (and hopefully read it too) from time to time.

But as to my original issue of wanting to relocate one of these Mills (for whatever the reason) I do understand it is not possible.

Ah, that would be a different problem altogether, just as relevant for certain vanilla buildings (relocating heroic epic?). But that has been a part of Civ 4 design philosophy - buildings are permanent and a part of your strategic decisions is to assign them.

Well not sure, but, let me try to explain my confusion by using coal. Coal is necessary for 7 production buildings with the Brick Kiln using two to produce Masonry Materials. So since building do not consume resources, can I build each building in a city if I have a total of two Coal and can I do this for all my cities without limitations (aside from population and other advanced techs).

Yes, you can totally build two copies of each coal-requiring production building if you have two coal.

But the "mental" problem still exists. People in my age knows that ressources seldom are infinite and most often only can be used for a limited number of purposes/quantities. You will seldom find above working in the real world......

But in Civ 4, resources are infinite. Using one iron, you can build an infinite amount of swordsmen. Why shouldn't you be able to build an infinite amount of swordsmen and smelt it to steel to build an infinite amount of tanks and use it for canning your fish as well? That's vanilla game logic after all - if a resource exists within your civ, it's considered enough for all your purposes.

P.s.: By a second thought. It might be the word "consumes", that set a limit for our fantasy. Maybe a word as "needs" would set our fantasy free ;)

Fx: Canned Food Factory:
Consumes 2 Fish and Iron
Produces Canned Food
Could be:
Need 2 fish and Iron
Produces Canned Food.

Yup, good idea, maybe it's a language problem.

Or maybe add info about how this works in the starting advices. Then players will see it (and hopefully read it too) from time to time.

Thought I already did; but now having searched the hints files I see I didn't as of yet.

Can't check right now, but is this info currently visible in the civopedia entries for buildings that use resources?

It says Consumes 2 Wine.

Produces Alcohol.

It is true the word "consume" may cause confusion here when first playing - but it becomes clear quickly imho.

The wine is not consumed really - it is still available for trade for example, but then you lose the alcohol.

I guess things like the brick kiln are a good source of confusion. If we have infinite coal to power infinite ships, railways and different buildings... then why do we need 2x infinite coal to power a brick kiln? Same goes of course for all other buildings requiring two of the same resource.

I'm not complaining about the gameplay implications, I just think it's unintuitive.

And separately, one frequent problem I have is with limestone: You need 2 for masonry materials, but it is hard to get 2 in your territory. And already having 1 of the resource, you can't even buy more from the AI. :(

Though I'm aware that this can be easily solved by the use of the almighty worldbuilder, and that major developments for this mod is over, I still feel the need to provide points as to why this may be a necessary mechanic(for those interested):

Maybe not to destroy the building/s, but to simply disable. One of the major reasons, is that, when I dont need it for a moment, but they are causing a detriment to the city. I'm sure we're aware that some buildings in this game causes a sickness :yuck: or two, unhappiness :c5unhappy:, epidemic chance 😷, military production:c5production: or/and even straight up n@stify your city( like nuclear meltdown; though I haven't experienced it in this mod). I do remember there were multiple instances where turning off most of my epidemic-causing buildings down during "infected trade routes" would have been useful,and there was one instance where I need to keep growing my cities(which increases epidemic chances) while I'm still around a dozen(or two) turns from national park and/or germ theory, temporary manual disable on those epidemic causing buildings would have been nice.

There might be those instances where destroying(or sabotaging your own) buildings would make sense, either for RP(roleplaying) or something else, because disabling it would, realistically, be controversial or revolting, like, destroying printshops/newspaperstations before/while/after transitioning into autocracy/dictatorship...

Top Bottom