1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

City Damage Brainstorm

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Stalker0, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

Probably?

2. civplayer33

civplayer33 King

My point is it looks pretty ugly right now...I'll wait till you push the update to see how bad it is but it would probably be best to create a new texture for that if the existing one can't be modified.

Not that I'm complaining about the feature from a balance standpoint...separating CS and RCS for Cities is the way to go, IMO.

Kim Dong Un, bigcat88 and vyyt like this.
  3. Gazebo

Spoiler :
    upload_2020-1-19_20-46-29.png

Tooltip instead. Best I can do without major modifications to the hardcoded textures.

G

4. azum4roll

azum4roll Emperor

Looks great there! It'll conflict with the CS tribute tooltip that @civplayer33 added though.

5. civplayer33

civplayer33 King

If it does, I'll fix it; won't be hard to do.

6. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Really? Honestly it looked crystal clear to me, I like that better than the tooltip myself

7. civplayer33

civplayer33 King

Well aesthetics always has a subjective component, but objectively it was asymmetrical with respect to the City Banner, not really "integrated" into the City Banner and could have low contrast, depending on the surrounding terrain.

8. Gazebo

we’ll try TT first. It was a bit hard to read when it was a full map though. And civilian icons overwrote it.

usadefcon1, Kim Dong Un and vyyt like this.
  9. Recursive

Recursive Covets Lands That You Currently Own Moderator

The city's offensive CS is really only of interest to most players when you want to attack a city, so I think it's a better solution than having it display all the time.

10. LarryAR

LarryAR Chieftain

The city CS/RCS info is great. I also prefer the Tooltip as it leaves map less cluttered until the data is needed.

vyyt likes this.
  11. Gidoza

Gidoza Emperor

After playing through the current version thoroughly, here's my thoughts on the present situation.

1. The early-game damage is way too high: it's difficult if not impossible in some cases to lay an early-game siege due to city damage. This certainly makes Authority less fun.

2. Late-game generally seems OK in most situations. Actually if anything, I found that my advanced units weren't taking much to any damage at all (but perhaps that's because I'm quite advanced in tech).

I was thinking of a more boring and straight-forward solution.

What if cities just did 30 damage? Period. It's a good number that yields eventual results. It won't autokill things. This number applies regardless of City Strength.

The only things that would modify the damage are the ranged defence promotion, and city % damage increases (e.g. from God of War). This way you know there is always a real threat at all times and you can't pretend like there isn't, but it's not so strong that your units will simply vanish from the battlefield.

Kim Dong Un and CrazyG like this.
  12. DeAnno

DeAnno Prince

Would be nice if Drill reduced City ranged Damage too, I think it does now? Not sure. Could also maybe have it on the City Assault promo.

13. vyyt

vyyt Deity

@Gazebo, may I ask for an inclusion of MIN and MAX damage variables for the city ranged attacks if it is not too much of a hassle? Thanks

14. Gazebo

Harder than you think, as the code feeds into the general combat algorithm, which has...rules.

vyyt likes this.
  15. vyyt

vyyt Deity

I see, ok no worries. I suppose the mysterious city damage multiplier (sorry, on my cell, cannot remember the exact variable name) will still work?

16. Gidoza

Gidoza Emperor

So for the current version of the game...I'm inclined to say that city damage is garbage again. Not reliable for anything.

A static 30 damage for all units (plus special modifiers only, like God of War or the promotion that Swordsmen start with) would be the only exceptions - it's not trivial, but you know what to expect so you can work with it.