1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

City Defenses and off shore platform

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by spidermel, Mar 3, 2006.

1. spidermel

spidermel Chieftain

First, I would like to say that I think this is a great forum. It has increased my knowledge of the game and therefore my enjoyment enormusly. First question is there any way to tell how city defenses are reduced by say attacking with a canon? Second I can't find what tech. gives you off shore platmorm?

I have found that Catherine the Great is great to be when you are a warmounger. I used to be a builder but am now having more fun at nobel level as a warmonger. I build a few cities than go for axmen and swordman to do a little city grabing. Then go for Cossak and really grap several. Sometimes this is all I need for domination victory. But I am know in a game where I need to start using canon. CivIV is great!:lol:

2. bluedevil99

bluedevil99 Warlord

City defense is a white number '+x%' that appears near the city name. 'x' is either 0,20,40... depending on the city's cultural level (poor, developing, influential...). When you bombard a city this number decreases.

Plastics give you offshore platforms. However it comes significantly later than combustion, so land oil resources are often at a substantial premium.

3. Crighton

Crighton Emperor

the only major advantage of an offshore platform is that in order to destroy it war must be declared which means you know who's doing it, land based resources tend to get destroyed anonymously during peacetime, which after the 15th sabo & rebuilding gets a little irritating.

best thing to do is stick some battleships (to counter sea forces) and some destroyers (AA and general purposes) right on the platform to gaurd it.

4. Mordraken

Mordraken Chieftain

Make sure you are using the "Bombard" option instead of the "Attack" option. If you bombard, you will see the little white % numbers under the city decrease. Once that is down to zero (it dissapears) then you can attack. You can see the results of that by hovering your cursor over the square and looking to the left to see what the health of them is.

5. naterator

naterator Bravely running away

plastics. hover over any resourse with your cursor and it'll tell you what tech you need in the lower left.

6. Willem

Willem Deity

You need to have the Detailed City Info option enabled in your Graphics Options in order to see this I believe.

7. Jarrod32

Jarrod32 Warlord

And when bombarding city defenses, with each bombardment you should get a notice saying that "You have reduced the defenses to XX%"...going down with each bombardment.