1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

City Experience

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Dan4GS, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Dan4GS

Dan4GS Chieftain

So a thought occurred to me yesterday while I couldn't play...

Why don't cities gain experience like units do? Considering that cities can defend without a garrison, you would assume that the population of the city would be the ones defending the city. Therefore, it'd make sense for cities to gain experience as units do. This would allow further customization of cities PLUS could make walls more valuable, by say adding a +15 exp to city with the defensive bonus.

It also makes little sense that cities can fire two tiles in the beginning of the game but can never fire further, despite huge advances in technology. Perhaps cities should not be able to fire over mountains in the beginning of the game until properly promoted.

Than you've got the historical factor to add in...some cities have historically been attacked a lot more and earned a reputation as formidable to attack. Adding this in would only make Civ 5 more realistic.

One final thought, if an archer is in a city, it is not allowed to shoot over a forest/hill etc, but the city can. How does that work? Perhaps walls could allow garrisoned units to shoot over rough terrain?

All are just ideas in the rough stages, would love to get your constructive feedback. Thanks all.

2. pxpdoo

pxpdoo Ninja Burger Fry Cook

I agree about the Archer and Bombard range things. As for "experience," I think that city growth, defensive strength, worker improvements, and the fact that eeeverything that you build - most especially city improvement buildings - I think that enough is already being done with cities. XP would be, imo, an unnecessary additional thing to have to administer. Anyway, any garrisoned unit defending a city gets XP already.
    As for the other stuff: It's a game. You can only fit so much reality onto a computer screen...

3. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

I like this idea, I proposed it once before.

4. Steelyglint

Steelyglint Warlord

I like the idea of a city's combat strength getting higher if it's been at less than full health several times, but I don't think experience and promotions would be any good. (I.e. its citizens are well-versed in what to do in times of war and can therefore resist enemies better.)

5. automator

automator King

My big complaint with cities is that even the biggest and strongest city can fall to a weak unit after some battering by seige weapons. You may have defended your city against wave after wave of attackers, but once it's down to just a couple HP, a luckily surviving unit, even something far outdated, can destroy your city by just touching it.

So I support some kind of "XP" for cities. Definitely not at the rate of normal units (say, only one XP gain per turn, rather than possibly getting multiple XP gains by being attacked many times), and nothing like a "full heal", but things like increasing total HP, or defense to seige, defense to air, etc.

6. mutant-enemy

mutant-enemy Warlord

So what? I mean, a thoroughly bombed city is like a battered empty tuna can: nothing left to defend. (Or nobody left being able to defend it.)

I like the idea of XP for cities though. Beside combat boni, you could also train cities to become more effective money, culture or science producers. ( Promotions like "renowned university", "important landmark", ...)

7. General Tso

General Tso Panzer General

Here's how I would do it.

1. Cities gain experience, but it's always 1 experience point per combat - to slow things down.

2. The promotions apply to city defenses such as walls and castles. (walls defense = +1 etc...)

3. The first couple of promotions apply to walls. The next several apply castles, etc...

The combination of 2 and 3 would limit the effects earlier in the game and cause them to get stronger over time.

8. ShunNakamura

ShunNakamura Warlord

Rather than promotions that apply instantly. What if the XP unlocked an 'advanced' structure to build. These structures would cost production and would also use up 'x' amount of xp. The structures available would depend on what was already in place in the city. For example if walls are already constructed the XP could be used to build augmentations on the walls(say advanced battlements or fire arrows(deals more damage to seige) or some such). Castles could open up murder holes(deals more damage when defending against melee units). Etc.

9. General Tso

General Tso Panzer General

That would take way to much work, You have to keep things in perspective.

10. bcaiko

bcaiko Emperor

I like the idea in theory...The devil is in how it would be implemented.

11. WeneedmoreCivs

WeneedmoreCivs Warlord

All good thoughts.
    I would love cities to earn experience and promotions just like units do. You could have promotions against certain types of units, range upgrades, extra shots per turn, defensive bonuses, etc.

It would definitely add a dimension to the game without changing any of the core mechanics.

12. krc

krc King

I like the idea of combining these two suggestions, and limiting the impact a little more.

1. City gains one experience point per combat.
    2. Can only get one promotion for each defensive building in the city.
    3. The effect of a promotion is to allow you to build an advanced structure that adds to the defensive building.

13. mutant-enemy

mutant-enemy Warlord

I don't really think that you can realize that. Every player wants to strengthen choke points from the beginning on and with all your possibilities and why shouldn't you be able to do so?
    Also, this benefits early cities way more than later cities and where's the logic in that: e.g. if you can build an advanced city wall in city A which was heavily attacked, why should city B not be able to do so? The knowledge is already there, right in your empire.

You COULD apply this on a global level (every city's experience contributes to your global siege experience), but then again large empires would be pushed way more than small empires.