1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

City for gold

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Louis the XIV, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Louis the XIV

Louis the XIV Sun King

I have always wanted a possibility to trade cities for gold. I think it would be very fun to trade a very bad located city for gold or instead of taking a city over with Culture or Military, the possibility to buy it would be awesome!
    Does such a mod exist? It is beyond my modding skills and I believe it would require a LOT of SDK work.

2. civac

civac Warlord

You would need to program the AI to value cities correctly and understand concepts like extortation.

In MP this is already possible. (Though very often the practice is banned by house rules.)

Louis the XIV likes this.
  3. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

In either the vanilla (no expansions) version of Civ4 or Civ3, this is possible. I think it was vanilla Civ3, but it has been awhile since I played vanilla in either game.

The price was usually quite high, but if you were rich enough...

4. Louis the XIV

Louis the XIV Sun King

Last I played Civ 4 Vanilla version was about 4 years ago but I doubt that Civ 4 Vanilla has that feature because I played some mods a couple of months ago in Vanilla version and it didn't let me trade cities.

5. f1rpo

f1rpo plastics

The Vanilla AI can evaluate cities as trade items, and does so when negotiating peace, but the evaluation is very coarse. Rise of Mankind allows cities to be traded at peacetime and has improved the AI. I've only looked at the source code (SVN revision by Afforess), so I don't know how well that works.

I've written more expansive AI code for my own mod AdvCiv and added UI support (BUG alert and tab for city trades on the Foreign Advisor). I'm only allowing trades to recipients with a sufficiently high nationality (tile culture) value in the city. The specifics are described in the mod's manual on page 9. It wouldn't be difficult to remove the culture constraints in the DLL. (They can be adjusted through XML, but can't be lifted entirely that way.) Oh, the AI also refuses to pay for the liberation of a city. On the bottom line, city trades happen pretty rarely. Here's an example of a city trade in a recent (actually ongoing) game played by @Lanstro:
    Related screenshot: link

6. Seraiel

Seraiel If you want anything from I please ask in German

It was argued that if I would be able to buy cities from the AI, that the game would be too easy with just rushing Corps and then buying the other Civilizations.