City garrisons and how to effect them.

Discussion in 'Other Sid Meier Games' started by Otterbear, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Otterbear

Otterbear Chieftain

I haven't read the entire manual from cover to cover, but pretty dang close and I cannot locate any information on what effects the troop strength of cities and towns. I know I can have Indians or Pirates attack to help reduce them but If I'm playing for the Dutch lets say and I'm trying to improve a town, I know I can get a new gov and that will help improve the economy and I can get Immigrants to improve the size but what can I do to help them with there garrison size? Any Ideas?

Attached Files:

• duel.gif
      duel.gif
      File size:
      12.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Wolfwood

Wolfwood Elite Commander

When you improve the town by bringing in new governors and inhabitants, one of the other towns will eventually send in a troop ship. All you have to do is wait long enough, while keeping the town safe from attackers. Or, if you can, make sure that the troop ship reaches its destination and is not sunk on the way by some other nation or pirates.

3. Otterbear

Otterbear Chieftain

Thanks WolfWood,
    I have noticed that the troop strength of the various towns fluctuates also. For example when the Florida Keys town sends out an invasion force or troop ship the Florida Keys town's troop strength can go down by as much as half. This makes it hard to build up a settlement to self sustainable levels as whenever they have enough troops to spare (they think) they send out an invasion force or troop ship to some other town or settlement.