1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

City Graphics: Japanese

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by RedAlert, Oct 22, 2007.

1. rifleman

rifleman Varangian Guard

Looking good, Red. As usual.

I know I'm late in chiming in here, but I think it would look better with a few buildings that aren't at right angle to the rest.

2. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

:eek: Your skill in creating city sets with only 2D is great!! :thumbsup:

3. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

How ecactly do you make cities, Red? You draw them?

4. Ogedei_the_Mad

Ogedei_the_Mad Caffeinated Khagan

RedAlert is using the pixel-by-pixel method, the method that Varwnos and I used to use when we made our cities and the method that Pounder uses to make his terrain graphics. :)

Anyways, now that RedAlert is making his cities, I can procrastinate on mine. :mischief:

5. RedAlert

RedAlert Love one another

Thanks again everyone for all the nice comments. I'm happy to hear these may be used in a few places...

That's a good point, rifleman. I have rarely done buildings with odd angles before, but it's something I'm willing to try. Tell you what, I'll see if I can't include some differently-angles buildings in the next era to spice things up.

Ogedei basically has it right. My approach to cities has changed some as I've learned more: I started out simply cut n' pasting whole buildings, and then recolouring them. After a while, I started focusing more on details and cropping parts off different buildings for shapes and textures. Now-a-days I create each building seperately and from scratch, placing each pixel myself. Though my technique as a whole is really a combination of all these methods.

6. Yoda Power

Yoda Power ✫✫✫✫✫✫✫

The problem about the pixel by pixel method is that it's very hard to make the buildings blend well with the Firaxis buildings. Sometimes the buildings will appear very cartoony next to 3d buildings.

I think found a good balance with these cities though. :)

7. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

Sheer madness. But it looks great :D

8. Gen. Rommel

Gen. Rommel Wüstenfuchs

Here's the pics for the feudal age RedAlert! Sorrry I didn't post them earlier, ran into a bit (well, rather a LOT) of stress the past couple days. Hope they help (and make note to NOT include any modern things like glass windows in these; was quite hard finding "untouched" feudal housing).

Feudal Japanese House Architecture (these would be nice for the outer area of the set, as a kind of suburban area architecture which is also les dense/compact as the city center):
    Spoiler :

Feudal Style Alleyway/City Street Housing (these would be more fitting for a central city area, depicting the over-crowdedness that the masses of people bring with them) :
    Spoiler :

*continued in next post*

9. Gen. Rommel

Gen. Rommel Wüstenfuchs

Japanese Temples (would be sweet to see one or two of these pop up somwhere):
    Spoiler :

Feudal Japanese Castles (whether you integrate this is your choice, though they did play a very significant role in Japanese history):
    Spoiler :

Japanese Bridges (these could be placed over some river running through the city, though I leave the option to do so in your hands; if you can't find place for them, simply leave them away):
    Spoiler :

Japanese Mills (these would be nice in the smaller town graphics, that disappear as the town grows into a city):
    Spoiler :

Overhead View of Feudal Japanese City (here's something as a good source of reference as to how these were structured and organised):
    Spoiler :

I don't know how many of these thing syou will be able to depict the way I described, since I know the format doesn't exactly offer the most room to play with, but I know you'll produce a beautiful graphic in any case! ;)

10. Ogedei_the_Mad

The first pic under "Japanese bridges" is actually in Hoi An, Vietnam and not Japan. It was engineered and sponsored by Japanese merchants with the Vietnamese government's backing, but it's really a fusion of Japanese engineering with Nguyen Dynasty era Vietnamese architecture. That roof style is distinctly Vietnamese. The second pic is what a typical pre-industrial era Japanese bridge would have looked like.

11. Gen. Rommel

Gen. Rommel Wüstenfuchs

I was aware that the bridge is in Vietnam, but wasn't totally clear on what a Japanese bridge (at least what I thought to be one) was doing in Vietnam. Thanks for clearing that up.;)

12. RedAlert

I just realised I forgot to say Hi, rifleman. If I'm not mistaken, you haven't been around in a while. Good to see you. :)

That's always been my biggest issue with pixel by pixel as well, and for me, it wasn't easy to overcome (my aborted aztec city set, for example). I think I'm getting better now.

Thanks! So far, I'm rather happy with this set.

Excellent, I'll get to work!

13. Rob (R8XFT)

Rob (R8XFT) Ancient Briton Super Moderator

When you do sort out the Feudal age ones, any chance of two eras in-between that could be used for Anno Domini please (i.e. Ancient - Medieval over four eras)? Don't worry if you can't. as Ogedei has already done some excellent cities, so I'll use a mixture, though it would be nice to get some that naturally progress (like the other sets you did for Anno Domini).

14. rifleman

rifleman Varangian Guard

Thanks Red, RL has had me bogged down lately :sad:

But thanks for replying. Your work always turns out great, and I think having buildings at right angles works well for ordered, well developed civs (Ancient Egypt, Classical Islam and Renaissance Europe). But the less developed (and usually older) the civs are, the more their cities seemed to be thrown together in any way that fit.

And that's not even getting into Eastern styles that just don't like right angles.

15. Ogedei_the_Mad

On the contrary, early classical Chinese and Korean cities were organized according to a well-planned grid-like pattern (take ancient maps of Chang'an, for example). The Japanese cities of Kyoto and Nara also followed the Chinese-style format in their early periods. Sprawl became a factor due to major increases in population (classical Rome sprawled all over as well when its population peaked). It's only in more recent times did cities grow in an extremely haphazard and near-unsustainable manner.

16. Yoda Power

Yoda Power ✫✫✫✫✫✫✫

My thought's too. Here is the map:

17. Gen. Rommel

Gen. Rommel Wüstenfuchs

Yeah, I also don't have any other picture other than relatively organised cities in my head when it comes to Japan, China, and Korea. And I wouldn't say that Middle Eastern styles hate right angles either. Of course they're less planned than some other cities, but nonetheless, NO city is completely left to grow randomly on its own. Doing that would lead to many deffeciencies within city sectors, regardless of time period.

18. rifleman

rifleman Varangian Guard

All good points.

I'm really only talking about the first era of most civs, except in cases like medieval Europe.

19. RedAlert

I'm still around :). I'm still working on the buildings for this era, but I'll get a preview up when I finish the town size.

My two cents on the city grid issue:
    The way I see it, making a city set in a grid pattern is more importantly about making the spaces between the buildings straight and even, parallel and perpendicular to each other; than making the buildings at all the same angle, though I understand it's probably better that I do both. I would still like to try a differently-angled building or two, and if they just don't look right I will take them out. I likely won't be going back to the first era to do this. I'm looking forward to including the bridge and castle though. ;)

I would certainly like to do that for you, but let me get back to you after I'm done this era and we can get into details. :)

20. Gen. Rommel

Gen. Rommel Wüstenfuchs

Hey, you know that you have complete and total artistic freedom here. If you can get the differently angled buildings to look authentic and good, by all means do so! ;)

And I'm glad to see that both the castle and bridge will be making an appearance in the set! Man, I'm so psyched about this, I can't even imagine how great these are going to look. Keep it up my friend, keep it up! :goodjob: