1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

City Graphics: Japanese

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by RedAlert, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Gen. Rommel

Gen. Rommel Wüstenfuchs

I think this goes without asking...YOU MUST CONTINUE!!! ;)

Thanks!!! :D

2. RedAlert

RedAlert Love one another

Something had really been bothering me about these cities and I finally figured out what: the shadowy parts weren't very dark, and so the cities looked kind of flat. So I went through every building and darkend the shadowy sides a bit. Also, I redid the walled town and metropolis for the medieval era, and I'm a bit happier with the new configurations. Thoughts?

As I've mentioned previously, I'm somewhat unfamiliar with Asian architecture, and now that it's time to do the industrial era, I again lack direction. Can anyone help me find some good examples of industrial era Japanese buildings? What kinds of buildings should the next era include?

----------------------

On a personal note, having just logged on to the forums after another several months of absence, I am currently wading through several private messages and some crazy new stuff that I've never even seen before. So those who have sent me private messages or need me for whatever reason, I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible. apologize for the delay.

3. Huayna Capac357

Huayna Capac357 Deity

Awesomeawesomeawesome. I would really like these graphics.

Here's a picture of Tokyo c. 1900. I don't know if it'll help.

Here's Tokyo in 1920.

Maybe have medieval-style buildings with "industrial" buildings (smokestacks, etc.) and buildings like those in the pictures.

4. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Civ3 Modding Archivist

The "problem" evident in Huayna Capac357's photos is that Meiji Restoration (1868 CE) architecture is substantially European in nature. See THIS SITE for examples.

Best,

Oz

5. Huayna Capac357

Huayna Capac357 Deity

Add some medieval style buildings, some European-style Meiji Restoration buildings, and some smokestack style buildings.

6. Gary Childress

Gary Childress Student for and of life

I think these are probably the best asian city graphics I've yet seen. Keep up the great work!! :goodjob:

7. Arexander

Arexander The obvious lurker

These graphics are just awesome! :goodjob:

Continue working on these and I'll surely download them when you release them! :)

8. Pounder

Pounder Phaethon was here

9. Madeira

Madeira Emperor

Hey Red! Welcome back! Those look really awesome!

10. Ozymandias

... Eye of newt, tongue of frog ... ;)

But seriously, my one comment (besides :goodjob: ) is what I'll call, "The Steph Factor" -- excellent gfx, but the Metropolis seems visually overpowering, especially when mixed with other fine sets, including your own:

Attached Files:

11. Vuldacon

Vuldacon Dedicated to Excellence Supporter

Great Work Red Alert :goodjob:
    I especially like that the buildings are more spread out and distinct (Sharp Details) rather than Cramped together. Makes a Very Appealing Look... Great Esthetics.

12. RedAlert

Thank you both for the examples, this will give me a good place to start. I'm amazed at how European many of those buildings look, especially given that Japan was not a European colony (where seeing European-style buildings would not surprise me). I agree that a mix of medieval and modern (well, modern at the time) styles is a good way to go, and IIRC, this is what Gen. Rommel wanted when he requested this set.

Thank you very much!

I am inclined to agree actually. My question now is what can I do to fix this?...

Thanks. It's funny you should mention this, because I've always liked the cramped look better, but my cities don't seem to turn out that way. Perhaps I can feel a bit better about my style now. :)

13. Ozymandias

Q: I am inclined to agree actually. My question now is what can I do to fix this?...

Compress? - i.e., move the buildings inward to all but obscure the roadways. No detail lost, size appropriately diminished, and Japanese cities aren't known for their elbow room anyway ;)

Best,

Oz

14. Vuldacon

Vuldacon Dedicated to Excellence Supporter

RedAlert... Basically, City Sets Represent Cities because of the lack of room to add a sprawling appearance. IF an attempt to place an entire city is made, the city would be tiny and cramped.
    A much better Look is gained by Representing the City Look with Specific Buildings that have sharp detail and placed in a manner where they can be seen.
    ...This is why I like the your Non Cramped Cities because they show the specific and distinct Architectural Designs and it is Very Nice to see the buildings with such sharp details :)

15. Gen. Rommel

Gen. Rommel Wüstenfuchs

Now these are some very nice developments! My evaluation so far: I love that the ancient era Metropolis is considerably smaller than the medieval one. Makes sense considering that the population increases become considerably more with the passing of time. The new revamped shadows are also a great improvement, gives the cities considerably more dimensions. The medieval style looks perfect, exactly what I imagined, and I like the fact that the small fortress also has a "mini" castle at the center, rounds the look off perfectly. Keep it up Red!

Exactly right, this would be exactly the look I'm going for in a scenario (part of a whole series of scenarios I have on my to-do list) I plan on doing once I start modding again. But here are some more pictures to help you conceptualize a proper Meiji-era city set:

Spoiler :
    Sprawling cities filled with streets crawling with an unidentifiable number of shops that slam the viewer with a good dose of confusion. That's Japan during the Meiji-era. I would really love to see these kind of streets in the set with a tumult of signs pummeling the pedestrians traversing them. Just a plethora of shops everywhere that make the city really feel alive.

Also very important are the sprawling electric lines and masts popping up all over the cities. They were very symbolic of the Meiji-era and showed the big influence the west had on the change of Japanese cities.

Also apparent is the sporadic addition of western-like buildings here and there. Most governmental and judicial buildings were based on European architecture of the time, as identifiable here in these pictures.

Hope those help man! :goodjob:

16. RedAlert

This is exactly the kind of suggestion that helps me out a lot. Thanks! I'll tinker with the metropolis a bit more.

Thank you very much for elaborating on your point of view. It seems I have two directions I could go with the metropolis, but I'm going to see if I can't yet come up with something to please all sides (and if not, I might just release two versions).

Good to see you again, Rommel! I'm happy to hear that everything is to your liking so far. Thanks for all the pics; I now have a much better idea of what I'm going to do for the next era.

----------------------

In other news, I am now completely insane and have added shadows to all of the cities completed so far. They aren't perfect, but I think they do the job.
    :twitch:

17. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

They look nice, but if you keep doing that you may indeed become insane :eek:

18. Arexander

Arexander The obvious lurker

They look great! But shouldn't those shadows be on the NW side of the city? IIRC, the units have it that way.

19. Ozymandias

:goodjob:

20. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

Reminds me of a goof wonder I created a while back that I called Ginza Godzilla. I look forward to seeing this set. There's a genre of steampunk style called Victoriental. These will probably come in handy there, as well as in more historic mods.