City Graphics: Japanese

Maybe it's time I pass on "the Mad" title to someone else... :D

They look nice, but if you keep doing that you may indeed become insane :eek:

I don't think there's any turning back now... :scared:

They look great! But shouldn't those shadows be on the NW side of the city? IIRC, the units have it that way.

Awe, crud. You're right.

I did the shadows in this city set the same way I do them in my buildings graphics. I learned how to make buildings by studying Ogedei's work, and the shadows of many (most?) of his buildings point west. So blame him :mischief:

Now, having shadows point west isn't actually incorrect, given that the dark sides of everything are the sw and nw. However, it seems that doing things that way is inconsistent with the direction the other shadows in game go. This presents me with a bit of a problem, because creating proper shadows in a 2d program is quite difficult, and I've only managed to do so because making west facing shadows is fairly intuitive. I haven't tried doing shadows at a more funky angle before, but there is a chance that that might be a bit beyond me. I guess I'll give it a shot, and if it doesn't work too well, I hope west facing shadows won't be too big of a problem.

RedAlert said:
[...] In other news, I am now completely insane [...]
:goodjob:

:lol:

Reminds me of a goof wonder I created a while back that I called Ginza Godzilla. I look forward to seeing this set. There's a genre of steampunk style called Victoriental. These will probably come in handy there, as well as in more historic mods.

Bwahaha! Good one.
If the city graphics find a place in the steampunk mod, then great. :)

Awesome. The cities look really nice.

Thanks, HC!

Maybe it's time I pass on "the Mad" title to someone else... :D

I think I have to agree with Oz here, Ogedei. ;)
Though I do take any comparison of your madness to my own as a supreme compliment.

Red Alert... I think the shadows are actually better showing west. The buildings face SE and if shadows are placed NW the shadows would not show much if at all.
Due to the size and angles of the buildings, shadows would tend to be where you have them regardless of what is typical on original buildings :)

I guess I'll give it a shot, and if it doesn't work too well, I hope west facing shadows won't be too big of a problem.

F*** NO!!! That doesn't pose a problem at all. Just keep doing as you have. I personally can see past this really minor, minute, trivial difference to in-game features. As long as the cities looks superb as a stand alone (which they do), I'm a happy camper. Don't bother trying to change it now, considering you've got them this far. Instead, invest your efforts in getting the rest done. :goodjob:

Red Alert... I think the shadows are actually better showing west. The buildings face SE and if shadows are placed NW the shadows would not show much if at all.
Due to the size and angles of the buildings, shadows would tend to be where you have them regardless of what is typical on original buildings :)

F*** NO!!! That doesn't pose a problem at all. Just keep doing as you have. I personally can see past this really minor, minute, trivial difference to in-game features. As long as the cities looks superb as a stand alone (which they do), I'm a happy camper. Don't bother trying to change it now, considering you've got them this far. Instead, invest your efforts in getting the rest done. :goodjob:

Then it's settled. :)
Perhaps I'll try out NW facing shadows in a future city set, but it's time to move on with this one.

Thanks, El Justo! I hope you'll like the rest too when it's finished.

----------------------

I made another new metropolis for the middle ages (shadows and all). I think this one is really close to what I've been aiming for all along. I also made some minor corrections to the other cities.

Lovely details! (moon bridge, walls, etc.)

Thank you, Blue!

Looks Great RedAlert :goodjob:
... will either the Industrial or Modern Cities have Factories with Smokestacks?

I think it would only be fitting, yes.

:)

The additions are really good, the only thing missing is the cherry blossoms.:)

Can't wait to add these into my game.

Oh, I like this idea! I should really get going on the next era, but I would like to go back and add some nice vegetation afterwards.

Looks fabulous :thumbsup: Any chance of 2 more eras? :mischief:

Best,

Oz

Coming up!

----------------------

Edit: Happy Confederation post!

Spoiler :
I made another new metropolis for the middle ages (shadows and all). I think this one is really close to what I've been aiming for all along. I also made some minor corrections to the other cities.

Why does the middle ages town-sized city change completely when you build Walls? The ancient one clearly is the same city but with Walls constructed around it; the middle ages looks like they re-built the entire city.

Not saying they don't look good, but its very.. off-putting.

Oh, I like this idea! I should really get going on the next era, but I would like to go back and add some nice vegetation afterwards.
A strategically located tree that goes through bare branches, blossoms, summer green, & autumn color would be a nice subtle indicator of era change.

Why does the middle ages town-sized city change completely when you build Walls? The ancient one clearly is the same city but with Walls constructed around it; the middle ages looks like they re-built the entire city.

Not saying they don't look good, but its very.. off-putting.

The main reason for the difference is that I didn't think that a rural village would look right inside castle walls.

I like the changes RA, very nice :)

ty!

A strategically located tree that goes through bare branches, blossoms, summer green, & autumn color would be a nice subtle indicator of era change.

Now that's a concept! I like this and I can't wait to start designing some trees. :D

----------------------

Meiji-era Japan? (no shadows yet)

:dunno:

Top Bottom